Re: rejected description text

by BeautyBot

Original Post

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Unjustified disallowed words

★★★★ Guide
@MAIAmakes It's most likely banned because it could be used as a substitute for the word n*i*p*p*l*e, which in itself is just describing a body part rather than anything lewd but oh well.
Message 331 of 433 (714 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Japanic2012 I'd always get caught up on my Japanese listening and comprehension tests because my brain would just hang onto some words while it'd completely gloss over others. So I think actually learning a different language managed to help my understanding of spoken Japanese, written in romaji on the other hand is a different story because my English brain wants to read every letter and treat it as an English word even though I know it's not. The many mysteries of the brain. XD

Yeah, I have noticed that seemingly normal-sounding first and last names (and even basic words) are getting caught up in the filters. This is fine because it means the filters are working if a little over tuned. But the fact it just says "a name/word" instead of highlighting the exact word that's been flagged is an issue because you can spend hours just trying to figure out what's going on, only to find out the filters are freaking out because you decided to make a sim whose name just so happens to have f,u,k or s,u,k in succession (Fuku and Fukuoka comes to my mind (as recent examples))
But you're right, there seems to be a bit of a bug or oversite when it comes to the naming of their Pre-made sims and the randomly generated names for townie sims.
Message 332 of 433 (710 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Unjustified disallowed words

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@MAIAmakes It is unfortunate but @halloweenchild13 may be right. Since most of the people communicate in English within the Gallery (there is no switching languages like in the game itself) the filter seems to be applied universally. Aside from that, I was wondering why you wouldn't leave "bahay kubo" as it is without using the English term. Sounds much more inspiring to me.

Message 333 of 433 (663 Views)

★★★ Guide

@halloweenchild13 I think EA, as well as all the other software companies, would never share the list of disallowed words with the public. And there is a reason for that. The moment the list goes public, people will find ways to go around, coming up with a million different alternatives (think of all the bad abbreviations or synonyms that exist today) which eventually have to be added to the list and the circle starts anew.

Message 334 of 433 (660 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice
@Japanic2012 Or they could just...stop censoring stuff needlessly...
Message 335 of 433 (604 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm having similar issues trying to upload Seraphim from the Blood of Zeus anime. Problem is I've cleared the description entirely, changed his name (From Seraphim Periander to literally Prince Zeus, and the family name is just "BoZ" and it STILL won't let me upload him). Sounds like EA has a weird hatred of great anime characters.

You can make babies with other sims, start a homosexual relationship with one, suck their freaking blood, but god help you if you try to upload a completely benign recreation of a anime character, lol.

Seriously though, for those of us who are builders (of both sims and sim-homes) more so than players, most of the fun of TS4 is the joy of creating and sharing those creations through the gallery. My "niche" if you will, is creating sims based on video games, films/tv, and real life -- and making them as close to identical to the real thing as I can -- using no CC or mods whatsoever. This often results in me spending hours upon hours trying to get every, single, detail just right. I've never had any trouble uploading before, and I've uploaded characters from Apex Legends (CC-free Crypto was a struggle, but he turned out great in the end!) and Cyberpunk 2077 with zero issue whatsoever. In this instance, I literally re-rolled him a random name, removed the description entirely, and just used "BoZ" as the title/name on the Gallery. Still nothing. I can't imagine what the issue is as I've removed every instance of anything that could possibly be seen as inappropriate. His name has now been randomized completely so it can't be that. Is his save file just cursed or is a dude named "Prince Zeus" with a blank description and the family name "BoZ" just too inappropriate for EA's lily-white sensibilities?

No, I do not use any CC or mods, and I can't, because I play on console. So this is definitely looking like an issue on EA's end. Shocker. How did we get here? In TS1 you could literally order a dancer who comes out of a cake scantily clad and does a "sensual" dance for the sims on the lot (there were ""dancers"" of both genders, too!). But now I can't even upload a completely appropriate creation for seemingly zero reason because the words "Prince" "Zeus" and "BoZ" have somehow triggered the word filter??? Ridiculous.

TS1 had an expansion pack called Hot Date that was rated T for Teen. But now, 21 years later, everything's gotta be E for everyone? Kinda seems like we're going backwards, no? Kinda seems like they don't at all care about the quality of the game or even the satisfaction of its playerbase. They only care about making everything squeaky-clean so they can market it to kids, when The Sims franchise was never envisioned as a "kids" game. Wish they'd just take the L (well, the T, rather) and focus on making a game so good everyone wants to buy it, instead of focusing on inserting microtransactions everywhere they can & scrubbing away every last bit of character that made this game the amazing franchise it once was.

Sad times. Also, for the record, I tried uploading with "PlasmaOfZeus" but even that won't let me upload. TF?

Message 336 of 433 (597 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@BeautyBot I think “boz” is a derogatory word for women in some South-Eastern European languages.
Message 337 of 433 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@BeautyBot Sure, I am having issues with words as well and I wish they'd come up with a better solution but I don't think they are aiming at Anime on purpose (I highly doubt they even have time to check if it's Anime or not) rather than that they find themselves in a dilemma after deciding to go with English (or no specific language at all) within the Gallery. This also means ESRB ratings don't apply solely since there are others like PEGI, USK, CERO and what else with different criteria for each region of the world. One has to keep in mind that EA doesn't go ahead banning words at will. They have no choice as people (and institutions) around the world actually demand that those words are being taken out.

Edited: In earlier times (up until TS3 if you disregard the TS2 online store) we didn't have internet features within the game so language and rating issues were distinctive to each language version. Nowadays we don't have that kind of freedom anymore.

Message 338 of 433 (566 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Japanic2012 I think a better solution would be to let all words be allowed, but that it would be possible to report gallery uploads which use words specifically to be derogatory or otherwise used in a bad way. Maybe if they update their guidelines so that people who upload things with derogatory words get banned from uploading to the gallery for a while, or something like that. The feasibility of this depends entirely on how their report system works today, as in how many people work with it and how much stuff is getting reported.
Message 339 of 433 (546 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SqueamishNerd I am not sure if it is possible to allow everything since age rating submissions (in all countries) have to be filed by the software developers way ahead of the release of the game (and you may even run into legal issues in some countries if you do not) but a combination of a basic list of words + reported issues may be the right choice (which is what EA seems to be doing for years anyways). One major problem of banning people for using disallowed words is, that you may find yourself in a situation, in which you get busted for no obvious reasons, only to find out that a word you were using happens to be banned in Japan and there was no way to know if you don't speak Japanese. In matter of fact, almost in every case reported here in AHQ, people are wondering "I got a warning. What did I wrong?" I think it is still a good idea to have an early warning system that prevents things like this from happening. As I said, it's not EA who makes the rules.

Message 340 of 433 (534 Views)