Re: rejected description text

by Japanic2012

Original Post

★★★ Guide

@crinrict   What a coincidence! Although I'm Japanese, I was born in Germany. Viele Grüße aus München!

Message 321 of 433 (896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Japanic2012Apparently "FEB" can stand for "F*cking English Bast*rd", something mostly Scots and Irish people use as a bad word for English people, at least according to Urban Dictionary. It can also stand for "F*ck EveryBody".

(Sorry, I had to add some asterisks to avoid everything getting censored.)

Message 322 of 433 (867 Views)

★ Guide
@SqueamishNerd Used to work with this kind of content for two years. Never heard of such abbreviation. Probably too few people from South Ireland played our game Frown

If the game uses Urban Dictionary as a main source of justification for words allowance - we're all doomed to be confined to using only 'the' word in names/descriptions/etc soon.
Message 323 of 433 (789 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@eustacecs The filters in this game are wild, especially if the names are non-English names. I had a game literally going nuts over the name Suki, a perfectly normal and common Japanese name. They really need to tone down the filters, it's getting beyond a joke.
Message 324 of 433 (739 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@halloweenchild13 As a Japanese speaker, I never heard of a person's name being Suki (when used as a noun, it has more than 5 different meanings in Japanese if spelled that way in alphabet ➡ 抄き、酸き、犂、隙 etc.). Aside from that, you are correct if you say, there is nothing wrong about using this word in Japanese since it describes methods of fabricating papyrus, an old name for a farming tool or simply meaning a gap, but  I can assume there are other languages like Russian or Polish in which case you may be insulting women. So I would be careful.

Message 325 of 433 (716 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Japanic2012 I have seen it used as a name, think it roughly translates to loved one, but I think it depends on the kanji used (like with most Japanese words). But you are right that it is the meaning that counts, depending on the kanji and context etc. Anyway, the real kicker was the name was a randomly generated one from the game itself (I was giving a townie family a makeover), so I have no idea why it was throwing a massive fit about it when I went to save the household to my gallery.
But I do agree that it could be a slang word from another language, so if I ever plan to upload the family to the Gallery I'll have to change the name.
Message 326 of 433 (692 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@halloweenchild13 If "Suki" was used as a Japanese name, someone got it wrong since it is in an adjectival noun format. To put it simple, suki ➡ 好き translates into "to like" or "to love" someone or something, and I highly doubt that anyone would name a child i.e. To Love Smith or To Like Anderson if you get the idea (it's much more complicated than that but I might keep it simple). A proper name in your case would be "Ai" ➡ 愛 which stands for the noun "love", used exclusively for a girl's name, occasionally in combination with other Kanji like Aiko ➡ 愛子 (the loved one) or Manami ➡ 愛美 (the one embraced by love). Hope this helps.

Edited: BTW, I looked up in my dictionary and found out that "suki" in Russian or Polish stands for "B*tch" or "B*tches", which is definitely not a word I would like to see posted in the Gallery.

Message 327 of 433 (689 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Japanic2012 Come to think of it, the name was a character my cousin came up with. Because I do remember thinking it was an odd-sounding name, even in Japanese. I always get hung up on words like suki, because the "u" is pretty much silent, so "daisuki" ends up sounding more like "daiski" to a primally English speaking/listing ear. Gotta remember to turn my English brain off when it comes to Japanese.

The word suki though, does it really matter if it's a slang word if it was already a randomly generated name?
Message 328 of 433 (626 Views)

★★★ Guide

@halloweenchild13 You have good hearing when you say, you can't hear the "u" in "Suki" because it's actually true. As in all languages, spoken and written forms may differ significantly, also depending on how you put together single letters in order to form words. In some cases certain sounds simply don't exist in other cultures. In English, you say "taxi" and not "tagzi", in Spanish "Xhosé" instead of "José" and the French don't pronounce the "h" at all (in most cases). Well, I guess you get used to it after a while.

To avoid being off topic, back to that naming issue, even in the English version of TS4, we are not only having problems with randomly created names, but also with standard NPC names like "Count Vladislaus Straud IV" (the vampire who knocks on your door) as someone posted earlier not being able to upload him onto the Gallery without changing his name. I assume, they use a different set of lists for the game (for picking random names in particular) and the Gallery.

I would say, you may file a new Bug Report, stating that there is an inconsistency issue with those lists. It doesn't seem right to have the game come up with a name that is being rejected by the very same game. I can't do that because I am playing in Japanese with a completely different set of alphabet, hence never encountered issues with rejected Katakana or Kanji names (including that vampire guy) to begin with.

Message 329 of 433 (610 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Unjustified disallowed words

★★★★★ Newbie

So "nipa" is unallowed since other people think it's derogatory. Or was it interchangeably used with another word?

In the Philippines, nipa palms are used to make a bahay kubo (a nipa hut). So it's kinda sad to see a word from my culture to be banned like this in the game 😟

Hope you can find a way around this EA!

Message 330 of 433 (594 Views)