Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Swedish Translation and Text Errors

by SqueamishNerd

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Here are some name-change suggestions for edibles and drinkables.

Cooking1.png

"Vit tårta" -> "Gräddtårta med strössel" (best name imo) or "Gräddtårta" or "Vit konfettitårta"

The literal translation is "Vit tårta", but in Swedish there's no type of cake called that.

Cooking2.png

"Italienska köttbullar" -> "Köttbullar i tomatsås"

I've never heard any Swede say "italienska köttbullar" even though it's a correct literal translation.

Cooking3.png

"Fuskbacon-lindad sparris" -> "Fejkonlindad sparris"

Cooking4.png

"Fuskbaconsandwich" -> "Fejkonsandwich"

Cooking5.png

"Färgad cocktail" -> "Regnbågsdrink"
Though I have no idea what this one is called in English, I couldn't find it anywhere when Googling or even looking at sims.fandom.com. "Färgad cocktail" may not be an incorrect literal translation, but it sounds odd in Swedish. "Regnbågsdrink" is a name I've heard several times before referring to drinks looking like this.

Edit: Apparently this is the drink that makes sims get colourful splotches all over them, and in some places in the game the drink is called "Busfärgad cocktail" and in other places it's called "Färgad cocktail". "Busfärgad cocktail" sounds fitting, since it's kind of a busig (mischievous) drink, so I suggest that the occasional "Färgad cocktail" should be changed into "Busfärgad cocktail".

Message 11 of 46 (1,157 Views)

★★★★ Pro

If I have a toddler as active sim and click on an adult I get the interaction "Plocka upp" ("Pick up") coming up. I don't know what this interaction is called in English, but in Swedish "Plocka upp" makes it sound like it's the active sim, i.e. the toddler, who will pick up the other sim. A better translation would be "Bli upplockad" ("Be picked up", literally "Be up-picked"), since it's the toddler who's the active sim here.

PlockaUpp.png

Message 12 of 46 (1,102 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

Astronaut.png

The Astronaut career is translated into "Astronaut" in the Swedish game. The thing is that, in Swedish, when you say the word "astronaut" you mean someone who's sent to space specifically by NASA. The neutral word is "Rymdfarare" (literally "space-traveller") in Swedish, and I think the Swedish translation of the game should be neutral and not refer to only NASA astronauts.

Message 13 of 46 (1,074 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

"Baconsandwich" is from I understand a BLT sandwich (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich) which is named the same in Sweden "BLT Sandwich" or "BLT-smörgås", we tend to call them BLT here as well, So I have always found that translation a bit confusing, it doesn't help either that you cook it without a stove, somehow you even end up with fries? So I have never really understood what exactly this food is supposed to be.

Message 14 of 46 (1,059 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

When having a birthday party in TS4 the one who's celebrated is called "Födelsedagsflicka", which means "Birthday girl", if the sim is female, and "Födelsedagspojke", "Birthday boy", if it's a male sim. Though "Födelsedagsflicka" and "Födelsedagspojke" are literal translations of "Birthday girl" and "Birthday boy" it sounds very odd in Swedish. In Swedish we usually say "Födelsedagsbarn", which means "Birthday child", and I've never heard anyone say "Födelsedagsflicka" or "Födelsedagspojke". We also use "Födelsedagsbarn" ("Birthday child") for adults.

Message 15 of 46 (1,033 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@mh4515 You're right, it's probably supposed to be specifically a BLT sandwich and not just any type of bacon sandwich. It's odd that it has been translated into "Baconsandwich" and "Fuskbaconsandwich", if they're BLT sandwiches they should be named "BLT-smörgås", and about the Faux BLT sandwich maybe "Vegetarisk BLT-smörgås", "Fejkon-smörgås" or simply just anything other than "Fuskbaconsandwich" because that doesn't sound like a word people in general would use.
Message 16 of 46 (1,030 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

There's an error in the lot trait "Penny Pixies" (City Living)
(Found in the lot infomation icon in Build/Buy Mode.)

The English description of the lot trait is:

"Sims often find loose change around the place. It's like there's a secret money fairy or something."

The Swedish description of the lot trait is:

"Simmar tappar ofta bort växel här.

Det är som om det fanns ett litet pengatroll eller något."

(Which translates to:
"Sims often loose change here.

It is as if there was a little money troll or something."

Which is interpreted like Sims would lose their money instead of finding money, it becomes confusing.)

Message 17 of 46 (978 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Vitlöksnudlar.png

"Garlic noodles" has been translated into "Vitlöksnudlar". In Swedish the word "nudlar" only refers to East Asian noodles (like ramen, udon, soba etc), not Italian pasta, and this dish certainly looks European rather than Asian. I would suggest the dish's Swedish name to be either "Vitlökspasta" or "Vitlöksspaghetti" instead.

Message 18 of 46 (911 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Kalla.png

This is not a "lilja", this is a "kalla". Calla lilies are called "kalla" in Swedish, they're not called "lilja" despite having the word "lily" in their English name.

Message 19 of 46 (908 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@SqueamishNerd They are just called lilies in the englisch version

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 20 of 46 (905 Views)