Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Swedish Translation and Text Errors

by SqueamishNerd

Original Post

Re: No translation made?

Hero
@agnesmerik moving this to the swedish translation issues thread so to keep translations issues in one place.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 31 of 46 (924 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I just can't with all these "fuskkött"-dishes we got with the update where the vegetarian trait was moved to basegame. Sure, "faux meat" would be translated into "fuskkött" in Swedish, but no one talks like this in Sweden. It sounds super odd. So, here are my suggestions.

Fuskköttgryta.png

Tacogratäng på sojafärs
Also: The meat-one should also be renamed, a "Taco Casserole" is not a "Tacogryta", it's a "Tacogratäng"

FuskköttMedMos.png

Sojakorv med mos

FuskköttProteintallrik.png

Proteintallrik med seitan

Fuskköttpudding.png

I'm not sure what this one is supposed to be, but I would guess Sojafärspudding. Does anyone know what this dish is called in the game in English?

Edit: Alright, this is apparently Shepherd's Pie in the game in English. In the Swedish translation it's called Köttpudding and Fuskköttpudding (for the meat version and the vegetarian version, respectively), while in real life it's called Köttfärslåda, and the vegetarian version would be Sojafärslåda.

Fuskköttskål.png

This is apparently a vegetarian poké bowl, in Sweden those are either called by their vegetarian content, for example if it contains tofu it's a "tofu poké" or a "tofu poké bowl" (and if that's the case the non-vegetarian poké bowl should be named something similar, for example "lax poké", or whatever it contains), and if it isn't called by its content it's a "Buddha bowl" when it's vegetarian

FuskköttSmörkyckling.png

Smörtofu, I guess, since the vegetarian version is often made with tofu instead of chicken

FuskköttWellington.png

Seitan Wellington

FuskköttChips.png

I've seen this dish being called a bunch of different things, here are some examples: "Tofish and Chips", "Tofisk och chips", "Tofusk och chips", "Fusk och chips", "F*sk och chips" (note for non-Swedish-speakers: The word for "fish" is "fisk" and the word for "faux" is "fusk", so this one is usually named with some kind of pun on that.)

Fuskköttpaj.png

Sojafärspaj

Message 32 of 46 (888 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Does the Swedish translation team know about this thread? Because the first thing I posted in it was 1.5 years ago and I haven't seen any of the things I've posted about in this thread being fixed.

Message 33 of 46 (859 Views)

★★★★ Pro

A målare paints on walls, a konstnär paints on canvases.

Målare.png

Målare -> Konstnär

Message 34 of 46 (800 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Apparently the Enraged emotion is called Ilsken in the Swedish translation of the game. I feel like "ilsken" doesn't sound strong enough to convey this feeling. I suggest to rename it to either "rasande", "rosenrasande", or "ursinnig".

Ilsken.png

Message 35 of 46 (741 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@mh4515 Uppdrag is such a literal translation that it doesn't make any sense at all in Swedish, I was always confused about that one. After looking into "Mission style furniture" on Wikipedia and Google Images I can say that hemslöjd is probably the closest translation there is, even though it's not 100% the same thing, the biggest difference being that hemslöjd is focused more on decorations while mission is focused more on furniture. If we want to keep the focus on furniture I guess something like hantverksmöbler or something else with "hantverk" in its name would work.
Message 36 of 46 (656 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I was reading the news post about the new game pack, My Wedding Stories, in Swedish, and I really don't like the translators' attempt at translating the gender-neutral terms, because it has been done poorly. So let me go through some of the words I think they might need to change in the game before the game pack comes out.

"Bach parties" has been translated into "hippa eller sexa". The gender-neutral term for BOTH möhippa and svensexa is just hippa. A sexa is another type of party (it's a type of dinner party). The word "svensexa" comes from the 1800s, and the svensexa was a type of sexa in the beginning. Nowadays a svensexa isn't a type of sexa, it's a type of hippa. Hippa was actually originally just a synonym for party, but nowadays it refers to a party for someone who's getting married.

"Sim of Honor" has been translated into "Hederssim". That's a very literal translation. Though there isn't a completely gender-neutral word in Swedish I think it's better to pick an already existing word rather than inventing one. In Swedish we have the word "marskalk" (the groom's best (wo)man) and the word "tärna" (the bride's person(s) of honour). I can't tell what the best word would be, it all depends on what the role entails. For example, in Swedish tradition the marskalk is the ring bearer (and the ring bearer isn't a child), so if the ring bearer can be an adult sim maybe that role should be called "marskalk". The tärna often has more tasks surrounding helping with clothing, hair, makeup etc. Other than that, marskalker and tärnor have quite similar roles, they prepare the hippa, they help the bride/groom prepare before the wedding, they stand next to the bride/groom etc. So, what they call it all depends on what the role entails, but "hederssim" sounds very foreign and most people will probably not understand what it is, and it also sounds quite similar to the word "hedersman" which is a synonym for gentleman, which makes it even more confusing.

"Flower Pal" has been translated into "Blomsterpolare". I'm sorry, but why translating something in such a literal fashion when there's already a gender-neutral word in Swedish? "Brudnäbb" is gender-neutral, also just calling it "näbb" is an option, though quite unusual. A brudnäbb is a child who goes first during a wedding and they spread flower petals. We don't need a new anglicised word when there's already a word. If you're thinking that "brudnäbb" isn't gender-neutral because it contains the word "brud", then I have news for you: The word "brudgum" (groom) does also contain the word "brud".

Message 37 of 46 (607 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Charmed.png

Wrong type of charm... "Förhäxad" is being charmed by a magician, the description makes it clear that it's about being charmed in a romantic way. "Förtrollad" works, it's for both types of charmed, otherwise "charmad", "betagen", and "betuttad" are viable options.

Message 38 of 46 (539 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I think "graviditetsillamående" is a better term than "morgonillamående", even though "morgonillamående" is ONE term for the condition (there are also "morgonsjuka" and "NVP"). I just think "graviditetsillamående" is the most commonly used, both in everyday life and in medical settings.

Morgonillamående.png

Message 39 of 46 (507 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I think this expansion pack should be renamed into Gymnasieåren. I thought the translation teams were called localisation teams, not anglicisation teams... I don't get the inconsistency. Why translate the names (names are names, not words) of Henford-on-Bagley and its inhabitants, while not translating words that actually are translatable?

IMG_1363 (redigerad).PNG

Edit: Btw, because of how Swedish works, "High school-åren" has to be pronounced as if it's one long word, and it's really hard to change from English to Swedish pronunciation in the middle of a word, so it will sound something like "hajskolåren" which means "shark school years". This is not a problem in-game, it's more of a problem when speaking to people who don't know about the pack, so it's not a big problem, but it sounds funny.

Message 40 of 46 (461 Views)