[ARCHIVED] Problems with Lighting in TS4

by BryonyRae

Original Post

Re: [TO MERGE] Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

Hero (Retired)
The 6/2/16 patch addressed some of our lighting related issues:

1. Interior lighting should include more light and shadows streaming in from outside through windows (but retaining interior ambiance). <-- We now have this!  It looks very much as we'd hoped:

newlighting2.jpg

2. The amount of light from outside shining in through some windows is much dimmer than would be expected based upon the window's size.  <-- With the new lighting, this seems to be normalized:

newlighting7.jpg

newlighting8.jpg 

3. Interior lighting - the game creates triangular shadows against some walls for no apparent reason.  <-- This actually got fixed a couple of patches back.

4. Game forces outdoor lights off between hours of 5am-9pm game time.  Even if a sim turns a light on, it will not come on.  This prevents colored lights from showing up in the daytime as they used to do.  <-- Happily, this has been fixed, and lots with special lighting now look as they should during the daytime:

moonbaseshouldbe.JPG

5. Certain lights cause large blocky shadows on exterior walls at night: <-- This appears to have been improved.  There is still a shadow, and it's still slightly funky because it doesn't change when you rotate the light, but it's smaller and to one side.

It used to look like this:
lamppostlightingbad.jpg

And now looks like this:
lamppostshadow.jpg
I'm not removing it from the list, because I think it still looks odd and could be further improved/eliminated.
Message 41 of 260 (1,179 Views)

Re: [TO MERGE] Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

Hero (Retired)

One more thing to note re: the new light streaming through the windows:  be careful of the direction the window is facing when you place it.  The color of the window pane changes slightly if you place it arrow in instead of out, and there is also a floor shadow if it is placed arrow in.  These effects are fairly subtle but worth noting.

Message 42 of 260 (1,176 Views)

Re: Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I've got two new bugs to add post the 6/2/16 patch:

1.  Window coverings that are not floor length take on extreme hues when snapped to windows in the interior of a room.

Color the curtain should be:

curtcolor1.jpg

Color once it has been "snapped to" the window:

curtcolor2.jpg

There are a few workarounds for this problem: 1) position the curtain on the window such that it doesn't "snap to", i.e. lower it a bit down or raise it above OR 2) change the facing of the window so that it is arrow in, instead of out (may not be practical for windows where the exterior is a very different design than the interior), OR 3) place the curtain on the wall first and then the window.

2. Lighting is incorrect in basements with stairs up into rooms with foundation height greater than one notch up.

You can reproduce this issue by 1) drawing a room at ground level, 2) drawing a basement room beneath it, 3) raising foundation height to greater than one notch up, 4) adding stairs from the basement up to the room above it.  It then looks as if light is streaming into the basement via non-existent windows:
basementissue1.jpg

And looks like this from the room above:
basementissue2.jpg

Adding lights to the basement does not fix it:
basementissue3.jpg

But it will cause a glow around the foundation to show up in the room above it:
basementissue4.jpg

The only workaround is to remove or lower the foundation to one click up.
Message 43 of 260 (1,163 Views)

The indoor lighting doesnt look how it should

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice
The lighting Indoors is the same as the lighting outside.It's as if the celing is missing or a wall isn't conected.It's like this on every lot I went to.
This happened after the 6/2/16 update.
Message 44 of 260 (1,396 Views)

Re: The indoor lighting doesnt look how it should

Hero

Could you post some pictures ?

What do you have your lighting settings on ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 45 of 260 (1,387 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
All fof my graphic settings(except for edge smoothing)are on their highest setting
Message 46 of 260 (1,382 Views)

Hero

A picture would be helpful Standard smile

You can just attach it to your post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 47 of 260 (1,377 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Is there anything I can do?

Message 48 of 260 (1,456 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the very same problem. My graphic setting is "Custom" though the rest of the options are set as high and it's set in laptop mode too. I tried the "Ultra" mode just to check if there were any possibility of seeing any difference or if all the lighting were messed up and the new lighting was there but as my pc cannot support it, it was all blurry. Never had this problem before the last patch. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's "normal" now with the new lighting system.  Here are some pics: 

Message 49 of 260 (1,470 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I checked another save game and played a family and it had the same problem

Message 50 of 260 (1,467 Views)