[COLLECTION THREAD] German Translation & Text Errors

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[COLLECTION THREAD] German Translation & Text Errors

[ Edited ]
Hero

This thread is for posting all issues with German translations

Please post a picture and encircle the issue you're referring to. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 11 of 16 (1,708 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: explanation mischief skill lvl 6 "play hooky"

Hero

Locking this thread as we have one in the German forum as that makes more sense then here: 

Please post all further issues here: [SAMMLUNG] Fehlerhafte Übersetzungen und Textfehler

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 16 of 16 (2,666 Views)

All Replies

explanation mischief skill lvl 6 "play hooky"

★★★★★ Apprentice

One of my adult Sims reached lvl 6 on mischief skill and got the option on his phone to "play hooky".

As I kow play hooky means bunk of school OR work in the US. Since the translation in the German version is "Schule schwänzen", bunk of school, I´m confused.

I´ve read that this option is for Teens to bunk off school.

I want to know how play hooky is meant in the game. Is it for Teens only, than it is buggy because my adult Sim has gotten the option.

Is it meant for sims from Teens age, f.e. to bunk work too as an adult Sim, than the German translation is missleading.

Thanks and greetz Wink 

Message 1 of 16 (1,786 Views)

Hero

Hi @JochenWeiss

sounds like a translation issue. As I understand the english term you can also use it for not going to work. 

Could you post a screenshot of the option ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (1,776 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hello @JochenWeiss

As @crinrict say its meaning is somewhat wider in English.

Verb. play hooky. (idiomatic, US) To play truant; to avoid (informally: skip) school, work, or other duties (stay away from these without permission or an excuse); to skive (UK). Plenty of people played hooky from work to go see the movie on opening day.

Some times certain verbs simply can not be accurately translated to another languages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 16 (1,773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Yes I can use it for not going to work.

There is another option some of my Sims has, not shure where it comes from (maybe get to work), it´s "call sick althought you are not" and the message in the info box and the result are the same as play hooky. Should it be like that?

Since my Sim reaches lvl 6 in mischief he has both options, see picture.

In German there is also a term for play hooky it´s called "blau machen" (make blue) which you can say for everything you want to bunk of.

Greetz

Message 4 of 16 (1,761 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The "call in fake sick" has three possible outcomes:

1. You are believed and get a day off.

2. You are not believed and must go to work. Job performance drops.

3. You are not believed and gets fired.

Notice 3 is rare and I believe you must have gotten a 2 first or be on a newly started career.

"Play Hookey" does not have these repercussions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 16 (1,755 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Than it is buggy.

Yesterday I tried play hooky (Schule schwänzen) and the result was the same as call in fake sick 1.

Message 6 of 16 (1,752 Views)

Champion (Retired)

No it is not a bug "Play Hookey" always succeeds.

Only "Call in fake sick" can fail with the mentioned repercussions.

Message 7 of 16 (1,747 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Ok, I misunderstood. Thought 1.-3. are the results for call in fake sick and play hooky has completely different ones.

Than its a translation thing Wink

On a German Sims site is written that this option is for Teens to  skip school, no wonder of the wrong translation. This confuses me too.

Message 8 of 16 (1,740 Views)

Hero

I agree on the German translation being bad. Blau machen as you said would be a lot better.

As it's part of a skill and not generally available as you say, I don't think it's a bug. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 16 (1,732 Views)