Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Finnish translation problems

by crinrict

Original Post

[COLLECTION THREAD] Finnish translation problems

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

My game is in Finnish language, and when my dogs get puppies (I assume it's the same with cats and kittens, but I haven't played with them) my game is congratulating on new puppies and then asks "How do you want to name IT" (in Finnish of course). Now, in Finnish language you call animals "it", not with a personal pronoun. Even if we used personal pronouns, the problem would remain as we don't have gender based personal pronouns but just one word and same word for both she and he.

Anyways, now there is no way of knowing the gender of puppies before naming them! I know I can go to CAS mode and use cheats to change the names afterwards, but I'm hoping The Sims team will notice this problem with Finnish translation and fix it for the next update. 

Message 1 of 5 (1,136 Views)

Hero

Hi @riverx2bananas

I think this is probably the same problem for all languages so this might not be a translation problem but rather feedback.

I'm marking this as collection thread for finish translation issues though so all issues can be posted in here.

Please always use a picture to report something.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 5 (1,054 Views)

★★ Apprentice

A new issue with Finnish The Sims 4. It basically says the toddler has reached level 5 in intelligence (or what ever it is called in English version, ajattelu in Finnish) but in reality she has reached level 2 as can be seen in this picture. 

ajattelu.png

Message 3 of 5 (982 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When you achieve the Fabulously Wealthy -aspiration and you get some money every week: "Shrewd Sims receive a direct deposit each week based on their Household Funds" (The sims fandom).

When this happends you get notification that says interest gained or you gained interest or whatever. It's been translated in finnish: "kiinnostus saavutettu".

In finnish "interest" can be translated in two ways: interest as a economical term (finn. korko) and interest in something like painting ( finn. kiinnostus). So, this finnish translation "kiinnostus saavutettu" means gaining interest in a subject e.g. a hobby, it has nothing to do economy. It could be understood as gaining intrest among people as a celebrity, but there is way more effective ways to tell that and also this aspiration has nothing to do with being famous.

In Finnish these two words together doesn't make any sense. The text leaves me confused. What interest have I gained?

Accurate translation could be "korko kasvaa" (eng. interest accrues), "voittoa koroista" (eng. profit from interests). I personally like the latter one. The translation doesn't have to do anything with interest to be undestood. For example "sijoittaminen kannattaa" (eng. investing pays off) could a good text in the notification.

Message 4 of 5 (841 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

When playing scenario "Perfectly well rounded" in Finnish, there are two errors in the scenario short description in left upper corner of the screen.
The short descriptions says that a sim must have 1 friend, and reach level 3 in some skill. When you click the three dots, you get the correct description, that a sim must have 5 friends and level 10 in three skills.
Screenshot below.

sims_tayd_tasapaino2.png

Message 5 of 5 (720 Views)