by nat19th

Original Post

[COLLECTION THREAD] Danish Translation and Text Errors

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Dansk
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? The relevant pack here is Seasons, but I also have CL, C&D, DU, Parenthood, JA, RoM, LDSP, MFPSSP, TLSP, and the free holidays and guitar packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game in Danish and see it?
What happens when the bug occurs? It's a translation error, it's always there. Instead of translating "(New Years) resolutions" to "(nytårs)forsætter" (correct), it is translated as "opløsninger" (incorrect - means "(screen) resolutions").
What do you expect to see? Well, I expect to see the proper translation, i.e. "forsætter" instead of "opløsninger".
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?

I couldn't find a thread/topic for Danish (mis)translations, so I'm doing it myself, I guess.

Attached is screenshot of said error, showing the improper translation of "resolutions". I've checked both with and without all my CC, and it persists no matter what. I have circled "opløsninger" in the bottom right corner.

When choosing a New Years resolution on the holiday itself, I didn't notice any translation errors, i.e. you used "forsæt" there. It is only here in the personality tab that it is mistranslated.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 46 (6,231 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Danish Translation and Text Errors

Hero
@nat19th Thanks. Going to use this as general danish language issue thread as there wasn't one up till now.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 46 (6,174 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

@crinrictThe post here solved my answer with the English neighbourhood names in the base game worlds, which is what it is. But the majority of my error report was centred around the lot names in Brindleton Bay.

As I wrote there, all the lot names in that world are in English - with the exception of the Hecking family lot, the empty lot in the same neighbourhood, and the Latin (Domus Familiaris) and French (Chateau Frise) lot names. This has been present ever since the launch of C&D, if I remember correctly.

Furthermore, one of the neighbour names is also in English (Cavalier Cove) while all the others are in Danish (Sabelpladsen, Knurhårskajen, and Græsøen). So in the neighbourhood of Græsøen (Deadgrass Isle), the museum is still named Deadgrass Discoveries.

TL;DR: most lot names (and one neighbourhood name) in Brindleton Bay are in English, despite the game being in Danish.

The attached file has all the names in Brindleton Bay, as they show up in my Danish game.

Message 3 of 46 (6,126 Views)

Danish mistranslation when putting toddler in/on highchair, sofa and more

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Dansk
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All explansion packs, all game packs except Journey to Batuu, all stuff packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Set your game to Danish. Click a highchair with TWO OR MORE toddlers in the household. This mistranslation also appears if you click on sofas, armchairs and puffs when there are two or more toddlers in the house.
What happens when the bug occurs? There is a mistranslation ("læg ned")
What do you expect to see? The proper translation ("sæt her")
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I'm guessing that the English version of the game says something like "put here" or "place here". While "læg" is a correct translation of "put" and "place", it is not the correct translation in the context. Danish has two words for "put"/"place": "Læg" and "sæt". "Læg" is used for placing someone in a horisontal position, like "put toddler to bed" ("læg tumling i seng") while "sæt" is used when placing someone in a sitting posion, like "put toddler in highchair" ("sæt tumling i højstol"). The correct translation does appear if the selected sim is holding a toddler or if there is only 1 toddler in the household and click a highchair.

Additionally, "ned" is also not the correct word to use in this context. While both "læg ned" and "sæt ned" are correct Danish sentences, it is not correct in this context as they are more used for putting items down and the littreal translation is "put down". I would use "her" because "her" means "here" so you end up with the sentence "sæt her". This, correct, translation also appears when you only have one toddler in the household or your selected sim is holding a toddler, i.e "Sæt *name* her".

To sum up:

"Læg ned..." = incorrect

"Sæt ned..." = more correct but not fully in this context

"Sæt her" = correct

Sorry for the long explanation, I'm a bit of a language/grammar nerd.

Message 4 of 46 (5,941 Views)

Re: Danish mistranslation when putting toddler in/on highchair, sofa and more

★★ Apprentice

I realise there's a thread for Danish mistranslations and I tried to post this here, but I guess using the "start new topic" button was wrong even when I was on the thread? I read all of the introduction to the Answer HQ stuff but must've missed how to add to an existing thread. I'm guessing I have to use the "reply" feature and copy-paste the bug report format? I'm sorry for any additional work this causes any of the admins but this is my very first post.

Message 5 of 46 (5,935 Views)

Re: Danish mistranslation when putting toddler in/on highchair, sofa and more

Hero
@Sara862g I merged your post. Generally you just click quick reply/reply buttons on one of the posts in the existing thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 46 (5,888 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This isn't super important since I was still able to figure out what I had to do, but the actual option when talking to a sims is translated differently than what the Aspiration thing tells you. Both of them are correct translations, but I figure they should be the same.

The Aspiration says: "Lær at strikke"

The option that pops up when clicking a sim is: "Undervis i at strikke"

The Aspiration is the knitting one and it's the 4th one in the last Milestone.

Message 7 of 46 (5,863 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This is a typo.

One of the messages that you can get in the new Dream Home Decorator pack is a new person saying that they want to give their house some new life and that X sim (previous customer) recommended you. In Danish it says:

"Jeg vil gerne give mit hus nyt liv, og X anbefalede dog. Jeg får lige mine folk til at kontakte dine folk" which translates to "I want to give my house some new life and X recommended though. I'll have my people contact your people"

Instead it should say:

"Jeg vil gerne give mit hus nyt liv, og X anbefalede dig. Jeg får lige mine folk til at kontakte dine folk" which means "I want to give my house some new life and X recommended you. I'll have my people contact your people"

I've underlined this in the attached screenshot as well.

Message 8 of 46 (5,842 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

When clicking on a campfire there is an option to put out the fire. In Danish, this has been translated to "Sluk branden". "Fire" can mean both a fire in your house and a fire in like a campfire, and in Danish that has two seperate words. "Brand(en)" means a fire in the house, which a campfire (hopefully) isn't, while "bål(et)" or "lejrbål(et)" as the item is called means a campfire.

I would suggest chaning the option to say "sluk bålet".

Message 9 of 46 (5,803 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure if this is a bug across all languages or if this is only in the Danish version.

When sitting around a campfire, your sims have the option to play guitar or sing songs. In the first picture ("guitar"), it says the option is not available because the selected sim doesn't have level 3 in the guitar playing skill (fair enough). The singing option however, says the same thing (as seen in picture 2, "sang + guitar"), and I'm not 100% sure that this is a bug since the point might be that they play guitar and sing at the same time? Anyway, I decided to select a sim who has level 7 in the guitar skill, but he can't play guitar or sing because he doesn't have a violin in his inventory (picture 3, "violin + guitar") which doesn't make sense at all.

I assume that to play guitar around the campfire a sim would need 1) level 3 in the guitar skill and 2) a guitar in their inventory.

For the singing on, I think it would make sense that they would just need level 3 in singing. If the point is that they are singing with a guitar, then the requirements should be the same as for playing guitar around the campfire.

One thing is for sure, they definitely shouldn't need a violin to play guitar lol

Message 10 of 46 (5,795 Views)