Original Post

Accepted Solution

[CL] Social Media Career: Can't Represent Friend after repairing computer

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Xbox Series S
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? Currently up to date as of 10/14/21
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions except Cottage Living, All game packs except Batuu and Home Decorator, Stuff packs include Vintage Glamour, Toddler, Kid's Room, Cool Kitchen, First Pet, Luxury Party, and Spooky. No kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have Sim in Social Media.career, Public Relations branch, Represent a Friend then have computer break down.
What happens when the bug occurs? After fixing computer, sim tries to continue to represent friend but the action doesn't make it into the action queue and they won't do it.
What do you expect to see? For the "continue to represent friend" action to work normally after computer is fixed.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

After my sim's computer broke while representing a friend the sim is no longer able to represent that friend even when it's fixed. As a result I can't complete the work from home assignment. I'm also unable to represent anyone else. I tried exiting and reentering game save and going to  manage worlds then reentering the household and those haven't worked. I don't want to use cheats that disable achievements but can anyone think of a way around this? I have a save that's about a day earlier that I can use to get around it. So if it takes too long to figure out a way around this I'll probably just use it.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 9 (1,158 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [CL] Social Media Career: Can't Represent Friend after repairing computer

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Ok... for science. I tried using cheats but I came across an unexpected snag. Apparently you can't use that cheat to go below the branching point of a career as it outright fires you at that point. I got as low as level 3 but couldn't go any further. Also quitting or being fired doesn't reset your career to a base level after rehiring as I thought either. Therefore the glitched represent a friend feature remained unchanged. Switching then unswitching careers didn't work either. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by my false expectations as I had never quit/rejoined a career or used Sim4 cheats before. I'm keeping the post-glitch pre-cheat save but I won't be playing it anymore unless another experiment comes to mind.

Another experiment came to mind. I just tried deleting the "friend" from households completely to see if that would unstick it and it worked. Interestingly I had to promote my sim up to level 4 to be able to represent someone so I don't know why the "represent" feature stayed when I demoted myself earlier. This isn't a solution I'll end up using as the friend was one of the households I made and play with. Still a successful experiment nevertheless. Now if only I could fix the stuck "Good Vampire" aspiration without cheats that would be great. But that's another topic.

Ok it seems my old save was saved over post glitch. So my new plan of action is to split the "friend" from her household, save her to my gallery, manage the split household, add the "friend" sim from the gallery to the household, then delete the individual sim, phew. Did you get all that? Anyway it worked though it cost the "friend" all her relationships and caused her household to lose $20,000 wealth for some reason. But I don't play that household much anyway so it seems fair. If anyone happens to have a similar glitch they can try this. Hopefully they're not too attached to the affected "friend".

[CM - merged consecutive posts]

View in thread

Message 8 of 9 (1,005 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@Coelrus Does it work if you replace the computer with a new one ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 9 (1,123 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I can try. I think I'll also try using a library computer too. See if that works.

Message 3 of 9 (1,084 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

It didn't work Going to use the library computers didn't help nor did "acquiring" (swiping) a computer then using it at home. I wonder if quiting then restarting her career would work but I'd rather just use an earlier save or live with the glitch than go through the hassle of reacquiring my promotion level. About to be promoted to level 9 if you were wondering.

Message 4 of 9 (1,075 Views)

Hero
@Coelrus You can try demoting the Sim and then promoting again.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 9 (1,036 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

She has the Professional Slacker perk and can't be demoted. Besides even if she didn't, it'd take a lot of work(ironically) to get significantly demoted then promoted to get that to work. I suspect I'd probably be easier to quit than start again at level 4 than what you're suggesting. It'd be even easier to go back to my day old save and avoid the glitch altogether. I do appreciate your trying however it looks like that's just what I'll have to do. At least it was an interesting glitch and story to tell. The moral is beware of computers breaking down while working at home with them.

Message 6 of 9 (1,028 Views)

Hero
@Coelrus You can use a cheat: careers.demote socialmedia and then careers.promote socialmedia .. for science. Try on a backup of your save just to see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 9 (1,017 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Ok... for science. I tried using cheats but I came across an unexpected snag. Apparently you can't use that cheat to go below the branching point of a career as it outright fires you at that point. I got as low as level 3 but couldn't go any further. Also quitting or being fired doesn't reset your career to a base level after rehiring as I thought either. Therefore the glitched represent a friend feature remained unchanged. Switching then unswitching careers didn't work either. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by my false expectations as I had never quit/rejoined a career or used Sim4 cheats before. I'm keeping the post-glitch pre-cheat save but I won't be playing it anymore unless another experiment comes to mind.

Another experiment came to mind. I just tried deleting the "friend" from households completely to see if that would unstick it and it worked. Interestingly I had to promote my sim up to level 4 to be able to represent someone so I don't know why the "represent" feature stayed when I demoted myself earlier. This isn't a solution I'll end up using as the friend was one of the households I made and play with. Still a successful experiment nevertheless. Now if only I could fix the stuck "Good Vampire" aspiration without cheats that would be great. But that's another topic.

Ok it seems my old save was saved over post glitch. So my new plan of action is to split the "friend" from her household, save her to my gallery, manage the split household, add the "friend" sim from the gallery to the household, then delete the individual sim, phew. Did you get all that? Anyway it worked though it cost the "friend" all her relationships and caused her household to lose $20,000 wealth for some reason. But I don't play that household much anyway so it seems fair. If anyone happens to have a similar glitch they can try this. Hopefully they're not too attached to the affected "friend".

[CM - merged consecutive posts]

Message 8 of 9 (1,006 Views)

Hero
@Coelrus Thanks for all the experimenting. That's good info and will hopefully help the devs.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 9 (974 Views)