Re: Blocking Shots does not equal Tripping

by EA_Aljo

Original Post

Community Manager

@The-Wolfmannrtcw 

Tripping won't be called after about a second of going into the block animation. You can't just see a guy doing this and skate across the ice into them to force a penalty.

Aljo.png
Message 11 of 22 (421 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@The-Wolfmannrtcw 

I've seen it far more often with the "dive" (L1 + R1) then the "crouch", but I've seen it there, too. I've simply stopped bothering with the "dive", since the error is so egregious, even though it's a fundamental move. Hell, I saw a CPU teammate do this and get called either today or yesterday, and had to just laugh... puck bounces off the guy's foot into the crowd, and somehow I'm also shorthanded.

They're just gonna cry about video proof because they have a claim to user error on this one, when they could go and reproduce the error themselves, if they cared (which is why I don't care to figure out how to capture video for them... they're not paying me to do it). It's easier to just not do the move. I'd rather they go and actually address the true game-breaking bugs this forum continues to want answers to, and they continue to ignore. They know those are bugs, and they don't care, and they have no way to claim user error, so they ignore the threads.

Message 12 of 22 (410 Views)

★★ Novice

Laying down for sure as you get frustrated with pucks going right through you as a defender when your right between the 2 apponents it's like your invisable. 

So you drop to try to break up the cross crease or kneel often stopping it to have the player purposely redirect himself over you which almost always results in a penalty.

If it's the CPU in the middle of the cross crease they stop it almost all the time just being there. So why are human players so bad at it that the puck goes through you. Opens up another conversation why CPU player are so much better against human in most cases. 

I can understand a saucer pass going over your stick but most of these are not. 

I wish it was more realistic but it's not its driven to have many goals. 

Message 13 of 22 (394 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

Until we see video of this being a problem, there isn't anything we can do. I play this game every day. I use this move very frequently and am only taking penalties when I drop too close to an opposing player. On Xbox, it takes 2 button presses to record a video. There's a little more you need to take to publish it, but if you feel it's not worth the time it takes to get a video published, we're not going to be able to address the issue unless we can reproduce it. So far, that's not been the case.

Aljo.png
Message 14 of 22 (382 Views)

Community Manager

@The-Wolfmannrtcw 

AI players are frequently better at positioning themselves than humans. Human controlled players can stop these passes as well. I exclusively play defense in EASHL and am constantly watching for teams looking for this opportunity. Rather than wait for the pass to be made, I'm trying to break up the play before it happens. If that's not possible, I do my best to get a well-timed poke or sweep of the stick with DSS. Unless I have time to face the passer and can get in the lane to intercept. I definitely agree it's harder to stop these passes this year and requires more manual input than previously. 

Aljo.png
Message 15 of 22 (381 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

I've been in the industry (IT) long enough to see you're stalling. Go answer the other issues that I and many others have logged, issues that are 100% irrefutably bugs, like the Franchise Mode Progression problem. You don't touch those threads, because you don't have a leg to stand on. Here, you can claim user error, so you fight with us.

The fact that you play, and you can "do it right", is completely irrelevant. I've "solved" the issue for myself by simply no longer doing the move, but since you're so insistent on fighting this one, you bet your * I'll get you some damn video next time I see it happen, assuming I can capture it off of instant replays. I'm not spending my "relax time" after working all day specifically trying to reproduce and capture you video.

Go respond to other issues where you have no claim at all to possible user error.  Do something for us, rather than fighting with us.

Message 16 of 22 (372 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@The-Wolfmannrtcw 

I wouldn't bother with this line of argument... there's only so much a video game AI can do to make the game more challenging. We have to accept some level of "cheat". In this case, yeah, the AI defense is going to be perfect at positioning. I find it near impossible to either tie up the body or stick in front of the net, unless both players are not in motion whatsoever. We just have to deal with it... draw the defenders out with some long range shots, or pass it around the perimeter a bit... get them scrambling, and we can get those cross-crease passes through (up to a certain diffuculty).

Yeah, they'll end up chasing that down too, eventually, but something else will open up... this is fine, in my opinion. I'm just tired of getting called for things that aren't penalties. I guess the flip side if that is that this perfect AI positioning is actually blatant interference, obstruction, and holding, especially with how long they maintain the hold and far away from the play, and they never get called for it. Again, I just chalk that up to an acceptable amount of "cheat", in order for the game results to be somewhat realistic.

Message 17 of 22 (368 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

I'm very sorry you think I'm fighting with you. That's not the intent at all. I'm trying to help. If there's a bug you're experiencing, we certainly want to make the dev team aware. This is where video is extremely important because we're having different experiences. We're also not getting many reports about this from others so it hasn't been something we've looked into. In order for us to reproduce this, we'll need to see what the problem is. 

Franchise Mode bugs are different. I'm not refuting that those are bugs or not. It's not a mode I personally play. If we have news on those, we'll post an update.

Yes, players need to not be moving in order to tie them up in front of the net. I do this very frequently and it has helped with breaking up cross-crease one Ts.

Aljo.png
Message 18 of 22 (355 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

I get it... I'll get you video if the occasion presents itself. I've stopped doing the move, because I'm tired of hearing the whistle.

Same with boarding (which is set to zero, but it doesn't matter) getting called all the time and Game Misconducts (one of the other threads) getting called all the time, both for perfectly legal hits, if you've ever played real hockey. On the occasions the game decides to call Elbowing, instead, when I look back and see the animation of the "chicken wing"... no issue, correct calls.

Honestly, a lot of these items I've put in are frustration, because for the most part, I've got a smooth-running All Star-level Franchise Mode game. The game-breakers within Franchise Mode are far more important to me that EA addresses. As mentioned, there's no point to playing FM when players don't progress properly, or when AI GM logic is complete nonsense, or we can't properly manage the coaching staff, etc.

It's a shame you don't play that mode, because there's a large community out here that does (and most of us can't stand/deal with playing online... at least I can't), and we need some kind of representation or advocate to get these things fixed. We need someone responding to those concerns.

I appreciate that you are responding to some items. The priorities just happen to lie elsewhere right now. Thanks.

Message 19 of 22 (344 Views)

★★ Novice

You'll nailed it and definitely some players are better at others doing it.

CPU is too good though he'll get it almost every time unless you can get him turned around or sauce it over him.

I'm often in the same position as a CPU would be right between the two players on the puck consistently just go through me where the CPU will get it. 

Better to tie up the player getting the pass if possible and let the goalie see the shooter. 

I definitely need to get better at it I'm a set or not a defenseman but I am the third defenseman. 

Thanks for the reply good luck

Message 20 of 22 (310 Views)