by bjones62

Original Post

Blind and low-vision issues with Scrabble on IOS

★★★ Newbie

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
I want to talk about something you don't mention above: Scrabble for IOS
How accessible is the current experience? It's useless to me
Summarize what in the product is difficult to use. All parts of the product are impossible for blind folks to use. Many parts of the product are difficult or impossible for low-vision folks to use.
How is this making it more difficult? Lack of VoiceOver accessibility makes this game 100 percent inaccessible to blind users. Poor contrast of many visual elements and an apparent incompatibility with screen magnification makes this game difficult or impossible for some low-vision users to play.
How can we reproduce this experience? Steps to reproduce the experience: 1. On the IOS device, turn on the built-in IOS screen reader, VoiceOver (VO), by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver. 2. Launch Scrabble. 3. Attempt to navigate and interact with the game using standard VoiceOver techniques. Expected result: The VO user will be able to interact with the game, access all game content, receive audible and Braille feedback, activate all buttons, etc. Actual result: VO does not appear to have access to any of the content on any of the screens in this game, including the license agreement screen, the Short introduction screen, the Create New Game screen, the Get Started screen, the Drag Tiles screen, or any other screen or any element of any screen, including text, buttons, tiles, etc. Other accessibility notes: Issues for low-vision IOS users: Many of the buttons and other interactive elements are designed using low contrast text on background colors. The game screens do not appear to enlarge as expected when using the built-in IOS Zoom (screen magnification) function. Upon launching the app, a jingle begins looping with no apparent way to pause or stop it. Testing platform: Game: Scrabble and Scrabble Premium version 5.24.0 Device and OS: IOS 11.3 on iPhone 6S

Many other board games on IOS have been made fully accessible to blind and low-vision folks, and I'd like to see the same done with Scrabble.

Message 1 of 1 (1,274 Views)