Black Box Texture Visual Bug

★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Sevargan
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. N/A
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? N/A
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? N/A
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Anywhere that involves the bugged heroes. Whether it be pictures or the actual player model.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Working on the tutorial. Walked up to the robot character.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Zero
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Today and Yesterday 2/6/19-2/7/19
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Whenever I see a picture of certain characters or the actual character in game or in menu, they are covered in black boxes. Seems to be a problem
What should be happening instead? There should be no texture problems.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Check out my video of it. Not exactly sure how to replicate it because my friends did not have the issue. Just me. And it was just me with horrific frame issues when I have the best computer out of the three of us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXPsFGy5TUU&feature=youtu.be

This visual bug involving black boxes covering characters or billboards occurs all the time. Everytime I see that robot character, I have that issue. I see the same issue with Gibralter but only above his eyebrows, I do not see any of his hair. 

This bug is consistent in the menu and in game. If a character pops up on the billboards around the map, the billboards will be blacked out. Besides the obvious frame issues shown in the video, that is the most prominent and game altering bug I have seen. I can see these black boxes even if the enemy is way across a field or so too.

I have tried repairing the game, to no resolution.

Message 1 of 15 (19,194 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Black Box Texture Visual Bug

★★ Novice

@Fredly121 Actually forgot I had this forum post open *facepalm*

If you go to that video, I first posted, and go to the comments of it, there is someone that explained that exact process and it worked out for me as well.

My guess is that the game is not recognized by some computers as a video game and therefore runs it at essentially minimum performance. After switching to that setting, my frames and black box texture problem worked out fine.

I also did not have the black box texture bug problem when I first loaded the game and I did not realize that until going back through old auto recorded footage. The frames were horrific so I immediately went to lower my settings (assuming that the problem was that the game was not greatly optimized considering I downloaded it first possible day), and I believe that lowering the anti-aliasing was the main problem that initiated the texture problem but increasing it did not fix it afterwards, it was too far gone! Maybe it will work for others and that is why I leave that tidbit there.

View in thread

Message 9 of 15 (18,235 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Sevargan  Thanks for the post. There may be some corrupted local files, can you start with a repair in Origin? Right-click the game panel to get this option, and let it complete before checking again.

However, my instinct is that this is a graphics card driver issue, it looks like it's trying to render some subtle effects, and instead you get some great big black boxes. 

Can you try grabbing the latest Nvidia drivers, then when the install starts, choose a Custom install, then a Clean install?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 15 (19,175 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_David As mentioned in my post, I tried repairing the game already. I saw another post about this issue where someone had never responded to the response suggesting he repair, so before making this post, I attempted that.

There was an update for my graphic drivers and after downloading the updates I selected for the installation to wipe everything and do it again clean. Unfortunately, it has not helped or resolved my fps issues and texture bug, respectively.

https://youtu.be/iA8LO7DDG3Y

Message 3 of 15 (19,167 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue. 

Specs 

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

Motherboard: Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)

Storage: 128 GB
, SSD + HGST HTS721010A9E630 (1 TB, 7200 rpm)

It's a considerably powerful laptop. I've had heating issues in the past, but solved them by getting a cooling pad, and always running fans on high. Originally I thought the issue might be due to me playing at the minimum required download amount, but it persisted after the game had finished fully downloading, and the computer was restarted. I uninstalled fully, and redownloaded again, but waited until it was fully downloaded to launch and play. Problem still there. This was alongside huge frame rate issues, and the game in its current state for me is unplayable. The only solution to the frame issue has been running in the wrong aspect ratio, and keeping it in windowed. Main menus work with this solution, but gameplay still has the issues.

Message 4 of 15 (19,135 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue. Texture issues and frame rate issues. Clean install of Nvidia did not help, not did repairing the game files. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M.

Message 5 of 15 (19,098 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_David Alright there has been several people claiming to have the same problems, any ideas on solutions or is it a game side thing?

Message 6 of 15 (18,997 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello @EA_David ,

I have noticed this item can be reproduced at will in Fullscreen and Borderless Windowed when I adjust the volume via my keyboard and the Windows Volume overlay pops up. This does not occur when playing in Windowed.  Hopefully this is helpful in troubleshooting.

Edit: I wanted to also add, the black textures occurred last night on another occasion when a different Windows Notification popped up while playing. 

Thank You,

Message 7 of 15 (18,894 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If you go into window graphics settings and add Apex to the list, then set it to "high performance" it might fix it. worked for me. fixed the framerate too.

Message 8 of 15 (18,242 Views)

★★ Novice

@Fredly121 Actually forgot I had this forum post open *facepalm*

If you go to that video, I first posted, and go to the comments of it, there is someone that explained that exact process and it worked out for me as well.

My guess is that the game is not recognized by some computers as a video game and therefore runs it at essentially minimum performance. After switching to that setting, my frames and black box texture problem worked out fine.

I also did not have the black box texture bug problem when I first loaded the game and I did not realize that until going back through old auto recorded footage. The frames were horrific so I immediately went to lower my settings (assuming that the problem was that the game was not greatly optimized considering I downloaded it first possible day), and I believe that lowering the anti-aliasing was the main problem that initiated the texture problem but increasing it did not fix it afterwards, it was too far gone! Maybe it will work for others and that is why I leave that tidbit there.

Message 9 of 15 (18,236 Views)

★★★★ Novice

how would i go about doing this? whats window graphic settings

Message 10 of 15 (16,413 Views)