★ Guide

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number 1080Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32GB 3200mhz
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Freeplay
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 13/12/19 around 5pm est time
Summarize your bug Game Freezes then i crash to desktop
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Please look below for details
What happens when the bug occurs? I crash to Desktop
What should be happening instead? I should not crash

OK Bioware I might got a tip for you to figure out whats going on with these crashes in freeplay.

So First i want to start off with i almost never have issues in Anthem. Game runs fine for me. Problems started with Icetide and only issue is in Freeplay.

So my system:

6700K OC to 4.7ghz

1080Ti 2050mhz/ 5900 memory

32GB 3200mhz

SSD 2TB

Custom loop

3440x1440 at 60hz

High Settings and i stay around 60FPS most of the time.

With Vsync

Icetide came and freeplay tanked my FPS "Because how Vysnc worked" With Vsync on I get dips into the low 40's. With Vsync On if it cant hold 60FPS it will drop you down to the next best thing which is 45FPS even though your system can probably do 50-55FPS.

So yesterday i looked into Nvidia profile inspector So that i can turn Vsync Off because it was robbing me from 5-10FPS so i can still lock my FPS to 60.

So i turn off Vysnc and Lock my FPS to 60 with Nvidia Profile Inspector. It worked Great. my FPS stayed in the 50-60FPS throughout freeplay as before with Vsync i would see 40-50FPS.

However later that day I went into Freeplay again to collect Wreaths and i was getting back to back crashes. I would fly for a couple Minutes then game would freeze and crash me to desktop.

While it was pretty un predictable I noticed some of the areas i did crash was near heavy water falls or going through a Cave cut out. "Not a Dungeon cave"

Further Now If i both have Vsync off and Dont lock my FPS in Nvidia Inspector and just have it wide open i do not crash but of course i get tearing since my monitor is only 60hz.

This only happens in Freeplay or Contracts that put you into the freeplay world.

With Nvidia profile inspector locked at 60FPS i do not have any issue with the rest of the game. HOR, strongholds etc no issues. Just in Freeplay.

Wish this game had a built in FPS limiter. Or Adaptive Vsync at the very least.

Anyway i hope this helps in some way.

For those using Nvidia profile inspector Or maybe even Rivatunner or some other external FPS program to limit your FPS so you dont have to use Vsync try turning it off and try using Vsync or leave your FPS un capped. See if the crashing stops. Yeah I know Vsync Sucks but its the only thing that works for me as a work around till this gets worked out.

Bioware i hope you can fix this soon. Because this is really hard to deal with.

Message 1 of 9 (1,100 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bioware Icetide Crashes Freeplay!

★ Guide

Just want to say ever since bioware did the update all crashes have stopped. Game is not crashing for me anymore and running great again.

Though i did notice freeplay looks a bit downgraded now. Especially in the large snow globes.

Before the patch i play on all high settings and the globe was detailed and round and had way more effect to it.

Now you can see polygons instead of it begin round and the effect is nearly gone. its nearly clear now.

It also doesnt feel as cold anymore in freeplay. and the sun is coming up more and snow doesnt seem as heavy...

Hard to explain but it did get a downgrade. The crazy part is i dint get any performance boost from it. Still getting the same frames But the overall servers are much stable.

Bioware update those servers so we can have the amazing world at full effect. Standard smile I love snow in games its my most favorite effect.

TO be clear most will probably not notice this. Iam a bit of a graphical nut and pay attention to these things in detail. None the less still looks good.

Anyway thanks for fixing it Bioware. Now get on those challanges. My Eastern Reach Wreath is bugged 9/10. Frown

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (927 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

edit

Message 2 of 9 (1,077 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I'm fairly certain its not user specific, people from all sorts of PC builds have been crashing. It would have to be something extremely general like if you're using a GeForce video card or something. However from a few people I talked to the consoles don't seem to be having this problem.

Message 3 of 9 (1,063 Views)

★ Guide

@Neiloch wrote:

I'm fairly certain its not user specific, people from all sorts of PC builds have been crashing. It would have to be something extremely general like if you're using a GeForce video card or something. However from a few people I talked to the consoles don't seem to be having this problem.

Yeah i was just trying to see if i can actually get it to work from something on my end.

All day today i was getting crash. ive had more crashs today then i have had my entire time playing anthem since launch.

However the past 2-3H ive been in Freeplay with No crashes.

I think its server stability. Prob they dont have the best of servers now and with the influx of players that have came back and bought the game for 5$ thats my guess whats causing this. Now its Late and its probably why iam not crashing because less players are on. IDK

This is all super frustrating.

Message 4 of 9 (1,044 Views)

★★★★ Guide

One theory I had that might explain randomness is they failed to 'turn off' regular Events where the icetide events occur. Events are triggered by player proximity and a mix of factors of how other events have or are occurring on the map. So essentially flying by one of these event areas when they try to spawn, or more likely to some sort of client check for a 'regular' event and boom, CTD.

So when it would normally be acceptable to spawn a regular event in that area, CTD, When it wouldn't be acceptable everything goes fine.

Message 5 of 9 (1,038 Views)

★ Guide

@Neiloch wrote:

One theory I had that might explain randomness is they failed to 'turn off' regular Events where the icetide events occur. Events are triggered by player proximity and a mix of factors of how other events have or are occurring on the map. So essentially flying by one of these event areas when they try to spawn, or more likely to some sort of client check for a 'regular' event and boom, CTD.

So when it would normally be acceptable to spawn a regular event in that area, CTD, When it wouldn't be acceptable everything goes fine.

That sounds like a possibility. It could be anything at this point.

I hope Bioware Figures it out soon. But we probably wont get a fix till early next week sadly...

Message 6 of 9 (1,034 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Lazeerer Crashing at random here. Never had issues in the past. Happened about 5 times in a 2 hour freeplay window.
Message 7 of 9 (975 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@tek720 wrote:
@LazeererCrashing at random here. Never had issues in the past. Happened about 5 times in a 2 hour freeplay window.

Yeah its not on our end. I think there servers cant handle the influx of players that have come back for this event and the large amount of players that recently bought the game for cheap. Add in the snow causing heavy performance changes and its probably causes the servers to be unstable. 

The reason i think this is it seems when i play during optimal hours in Freeplay is when i have the issues with crashing.

but if i play later in the day/evening time or really early morning "NA est coast time" I do not crash.

I originally thought it was something i did on my end bc like my original post i had messed around with some settings but that turned out not to be it.

Around this time of the day "maybe another 2h from now" 10pm est time is the perfect time for me to get on freeplay and i will not crash.

Also this might sound basic but if you did get more then one  crashes then restart your computer. yesterday after i got a bunch of crashes i restarted my PC and all was good for the rest of the night with no crashes. Dont know if it was that or that the servers where less populated. But either way worth a shot.

Clearly something is getting overloading. Spesific areas of the map too seem to crash much easier too.

If you can try playing during off hours until bioware fixes this. See if that helps at all.

Message 8 of 9 (969 Views)

★ Guide

Just want to say ever since bioware did the update all crashes have stopped. Game is not crashing for me anymore and running great again.

Though i did notice freeplay looks a bit downgraded now. Especially in the large snow globes.

Before the patch i play on all high settings and the globe was detailed and round and had way more effect to it.

Now you can see polygons instead of it begin round and the effect is nearly gone. its nearly clear now.

It also doesnt feel as cold anymore in freeplay. and the sun is coming up more and snow doesnt seem as heavy...

Hard to explain but it did get a downgrade. The crazy part is i dint get any performance boost from it. Still getting the same frames But the overall servers are much stable.

Bioware update those servers so we can have the amazing world at full effect. Standard smile I love snow in games its my most favorite effect.

TO be clear most will probably not notice this. Iam a bit of a graphical nut and pay attention to these things in detail. None the less still looks good.

Anyway thanks for fixing it Bioware. Now get on those challanges. My Eastern Reach Wreath is bugged 9/10. Frown

Message 9 of 9 (928 Views)