Re: Basement causes severe terrain errors

by CGrant56

Original Post

Basement causes severe terrain errors

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.89.214.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to work Get together Cats and dogs City living Parenthood Seasons Romantic garden
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The only way I can think of is by creating a room in build mode, then elevating it. (The more it's elevated the worse the problem seems to be) And then creating a basement of any size that borders with the room walls above.
What happens when the bug occurs? When placing a basement in build mode, it creates an unappealing, steep hill by the foundation and wall of the outside of the building. This only happens with buildings that are elevated. This also only happens if the basement lines up with the outer walls of the building above.
What do you expect to see? No change in terrain levels or texture on the ground, no matter what size or shape I make the basement.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've had this issue for about a week, and I might have played the game on five or six different sessions. To be fair, I don't usually place basements so I don't know for sure how long this bug has existed in my game. I did install a bundle of packs recently, which are parenthood, romantic garden and city living. I suppose that might have some significance? 

Message 1 of 5 (1,634 Views)

Hero

@Antoniaplayssims 

This looks like one of the quirks of the build system and has been around for a long time.  If you put a basement under a house on a raised foundation or raise a house on a flat foundation with a basement under it, the terrain raises like that.  To fix it, just drop down to the basement level and grab the big arrow in the center and drag the basement down until the terrain is flat again.

In your pics though, you show raised terrain around only part of either building.  I'm guessing that the basement is a partial basement, not a full basement under the entire building.  It that is not the case, then something else is going on.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5 (1,591 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Antoniaplayssims In the thread below, you will find specific creation and how to fix it, with images.
The Sims 4 > Game and Mod/CC Issues > Basement issue?
If what you see there is different from your method of creation or the condition of the building, you may be able to get a more detailed response by presenting images that show it.
Message 3 of 5 (1,546 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Antoniaplayssims The way I work around this is making the basement bigger, apparently having the wall further away from the house helps
Message 4 of 5 (1,480 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@CGrant56 What you mentioned helped fix this issue in one of my current households. I had originally tried just lowering the ground level floor but it wouldn't let me, though I didn't even think to lower the basement level. I did end up lowering both the basement and ground level floor though. If I only lowered the basement it left an awkward looking gap between the top of the stairs and the top of the basement wall, and I couldn't find any way to fix it other than lowering the ground level floor as well. So I did have to sacrifice my foundation, though at least I don't have that ugly looking uneven terrain and it does eliminate having to deal with stairs just to get in and out of the house.

Message 5 of 5 (1,457 Views)