[BY DESIGN] "Set as Front Door" Problems

by Ethyrdude

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Outside doors cannot be picked as front on elevated foundations

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

thx for helping me Wink I don´t play with mods and did everything already you suggested except a new save. This I will do but it isn´t a solution for me because I want my house working in the save I´m already in.

I´ve loaded it up as "Test Front Door Problem", my ID is JochenWeiss.

Maybe you need to play for a while until the front door changes for itself to the backdoor.

If you can´t reproduce it I can load up my whole save for you if you want.

Kind regards 

Jo

EDIT: Tested the house in a new save and it´s happened again ;(
Message 21 of 44 (1,190 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@JochenWeiss I downloaded your build from the Gallery.  Upon placement, everything was as I would expect - front door was set properly.  I could set the other door to the front and then set the front back to front again.  I played for a while, and there were no changes.  The Welcome Wagon came to the front door.  I invited them in, and they came in through the correct door.  I traveled and then came back; no changes.  Saved and exited, then reloaded the game; again, no changes.

You say you tested it in a new save.  Did you immediately experience the issue in that save?  If not, how long did it take, and can you retrace your steps for me in terms of what you might have done in your game that I didn't in mine (as described above)?  Oh, and are you using a specific lot?  If so, have you tried this on a different lot?  I placed your build on the Goth's lot in my game.

Message 22 of 44 (1,169 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@BryonyRaeYou are right, I´ve tested it on the Goth Lot too an everything works fine. Didn´t thought its depend on a specific lot.

My house, original save and in my new save for testing is on the "Bargain-Biegung" (german name, see pic below)

I only play for a while (maybe three Sims days) also on speed 3, didn´t do something specific, maybe go into build mode, changed something and back, nothing more.

If you try it please look if the front door is the front door after placing the house on the lot. It should be, like it was on the Goth Lot but I´m not shure  if it was the same after placing it on the Bargain Lot.

Thx, waiting for your results Wink

Message 23 of 44 (1,161 Views)

Re: [PARTLY FIXED] Outside doors cannot be picked as front on elevated foundatio

★★★★ Guide

I think the point of this bug is really the lot itself and not the position of the door in general.

Most of my houses have front doors in elevated foundation but one specific lot is giving this problem....

defer.jpg01-08-17_16-33-35.jpg

01-08-17_16-33-52.jpg

So this lot in Newcrest just allow me to set the backdoor as front door and not the door in elevated position.

I was not having this bug before but I don't know when that happened.

Message 24 of 44 (1,152 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JochenWeiss No, when I placed your build on that particular lot, the front door was not set as the front door.  However, I was able to set it as the front door with no issues, and that setting did not change as I played.  I think the issue is occurring because that particular lot is a 30x20 widthwise instead of lengthwise, as (it appears) you built the house.  I think when a house that was built on a vertical 30x20 gets placed on a horizontal 30x20, the game may get confused and "guesses" at which is the front door.  I don't think this particular issue has anything to do with foundation; when I drop it to zero, save the build (from the Goth lot) and then place it on the Bargain Basement lot, it still swaps the front door designation.  It's just a lot orientation issue. 

I think the real question might be whether front door designations are intended to be saved no matter how/where a build is placed (i.e. different orientation, different sized lot, etc.  If so, we've got a bug; if not, maybe just an unfortunate side effect of design decisions.  I'll see if I can get some feedback on it, but it's probably best posted in its own thread, vs. this one which is specific to elevated foundations.

Message 25 of 44 (1,134 Views)

Re: [PARTLY FIXED] Outside doors cannot be picked as front on elevated foundatio

Hero (Retired)

@ceunon20 is this build on the gallery, so that I could download and test it in my game?

Message 26 of 44 (1,134 Views)

★★★★ Guide

It is in the gallery @BryonyRae 

You can download it here: https://www.thesims.com/pt_BR/gallery/8F98552E67D311E681B930605109FFB7?category=all&searchtype=ea_or...

In my game I made some modifications but nothing with the doors.

This problem was not occuring before.

Message 27 of 44 (1,127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@BryonyRaeI´ve started the household on "Sreamlet Single" (lengthwise) and after I need more space for the garden I´ve placed the whole lot on "Bargain Bend" (widthwise). Sry for not to tell this before. So your theory could be correct. 

Btw I never thought it could be a foundation problem and never had a problem to set the front door, I only used the thread because I had a problem with the front door too. Maybe it is possible by a mod to separate my post into an new thread?

Because we have the option to place complete lots every place (if space is enough) and direction it should be a bug.

I think atm there is no solution for my lot?

Would be nice to hear from you if you got feedback on it Wink

EDIT: If you look at the whole map and the front door directions of the other houses in that street it "should" be on the long side of the Bargain Lot (design decision!?), but as written before, this distracts with the option to rotate and change direction of lots ...

I´ve changed the layout of my lot, so the front door is on the long side now and it still works. Will let you know if everything changes in the next few game hours Wink (Hope not) 

Message 28 of 44 (1,116 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ceunon20 I downloaded your build and was able to reproduce the issue in my game; I also built my own similar structure with the same results.  It does not appear to be lot related to me.  I placed the build on several different lots and could not set the elevated doors to front on any of them.

Message 29 of 44 (1,085 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JochenWeiss I think I will just retool this thread a bit to track the additional issues, as they do all relate to setting the front door.  No, I don't think there is any solution currently for your lot other than for people to manually set the front door after they have downloaded and placed it, if they place it on a lot where it isn't set properly by default.  As a builder, I wouldn't worry about that too much though; maybe just add a comment about it when/if you upload it.

Message 30 of 44 (1,083 Views)