Re: [BY DESIGN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

by Illandrya

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

★ Guide

I have spent thousands on these seed packets and still have three harvestables to go that I would normally get by splicing. Most of the other changes made gardening more fun, less grind. I’m sorry, but I can’t understand the thinking behind this decision. 

Message 31 of 82 (15,051 Views)

@missdeefying wrote:

@SimGuruNickCould you please clarify re: splicing new harvestables - when you create the plant, is it a chance for a new fruit/flower to be produced daily, or is it just once per plant?

Eg. If I graft Strawberries to Snapdragon to try for Dragon Fruit, do I have a low chance of producing a dragon fruit each day? Or is it one and done, this plant produces Strawberries/Snapdragons, please try again with a new plant?

ETA: And if it is a daily chance, would it be better to leave the plant un-harvested across several days, to avoid the daily reset on produce from affecting it?

I'm sorry if this is just me failing to understand something obvious, but I'm very confused. I really think further clarification added to the Lessons would be a great idea.

I think it's per harvest. On my spliced strawberry/ snapdragon/dragon fruit, plant after harvesting snapdragons and strawberries, the next harvest gave me dragon fruit. As for the daily chance, I don't know.

Message 32 of 82 (14,971 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

★★ Novice

Hi Nick,

I don't think it's just bad luck, I really think there is a problem.

I managed to grow plantains and parsley from splicing plants in a greenhouse, no issue. I realise these are not rare.

I cannot grow dragonfruit, bonsai buds, pomegranite or birds of paradise. I haven't tried the other rare ones because I don't have the base plants needed yet. It's been well over 50 sim days, four seasons and I've tried two different games with two different sims and two different growing situations

- I've tried in a green house and out of a greenhouse

- my greenhouse walls are maximum height so trees are growing fine

- i have a thermostat in the greenhouse, I've tried with and without the thermostat

- I have lots of beehives

- I've tried splicing both types of plants (i.e. for dragonfruit I tried splicing a snapdragon onto a strawberry plant and grafting a strawberry plant onto a snapdragon plant)

- the spliced plants show all 3 types of plants that can grow, but only the original spliced ones are growing (i.e. strawberries and snapdragons, cherries and apples)

- all plants are tended regularly and fertilised, some are of excellent quality

- my sim is level 10 gardening skill, level 9 botany career

I realise these three plants are rare, but they can't be "won't grow in 50 days" rare, that seems excessive.

Message 33 of 82 (14,938 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

The rare seed packets aren’t producing the rare harvestables I need either. My sims are spending 5000 a week (I’m in the 7th season and each are 2 weeks) and still no orchid or bird of paradise although plenty of everything else. 

Doesn’t seem right that you need money and/or luck rather than high level skill to produce these. 

Message 34 of 82 (14,888 Views)

★★ Novice
A new patch was released that seems to have cleared up then issue in my game. (PC)
Message 35 of 82 (14,875 Views)

★★★ Novice

I also think it's per harvest. In the game data the ratio of common, uncommon, rare is 500, 100, 1, which I think is the source of the problem.

Changing these to something more reasonable fixed the issue for me on the next harvest where I suddenly got the new harvestables on some of the plants.

@SimGuruNick: If you guys want to check, I'm talking about the SPAWN_WEIGHTS in the gardening_tuning (instance: 0xB286B33DB1F44801).

Message 36 of 82 (14,851 Views)

★★ Guide

Definitely by harvest, I'd think that every night at 5 am there's some dice rolls going on in the plant. My spliced plant finally produced a dragon fruit, I was shocked! Same plant usually produces just strawberries and snapdragons. I know it was already verified that it's working as intended, just wanted to give an update on my plants. 

Message 37 of 82 (14,783 Views)

Spliced plants only producing one type of produce.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Up to Seasons; all except Jungle Adventures and a couple of stuff packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure how to reproduce it or not, but I spliced Tulips onto Chrysanthemum during the Summer to get the Bird of Paradise flower - and it shows up on the plant. However, it's only giving me Chrysanthemum.
What happens when the bug occurs? The spliced plant described above only produces one type of plant for all of Summer.
What do you expect to see? I was expecting to get other types of flowers other than just the one.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. After installing Seasons.

Spliced plants are only producing one type of flower. Frown Please see the Steps for a description of the bug.

Message 38 of 82 (14,738 Views)

Re: Spliced plants only producing one type of produce.

Hero

Hi @Keazra

merged your post with existing thread. Please see @SimGuruNick comment on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 39 of 82 (14,722 Views)

Re: Spliced plants only producing one type of produce.

★★★★ Novice

It doesn't feel like it's something by design to me; had a Bird of Paradise spliced plant for 14 days of summer, and I only got Chrys and at the very end I got 2 tulips.

Message 40 of 82 (14,716 Views)