Re: [TO TEST] [S] Child/Teen ignoring Grand Meal, and other age-related traditio

by Lorraine-Simmer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] [S] Child/Teen ignoring in Grand Meal and other traditions

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.46.18.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except V, MYPS, LPS, RGS, LDS
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play through the Harvestfest holiday, or presumably any holiday with the traditions included.
What happens when the bug occurs? Children of all ages are ignoring traditions that they previously participated in.
What do you expect to see? I *know* I have played Harvestfest and other holidays with "Grand Meal" within which toddlers, children and teens participated in the tradition. I'm pretty sure children also participated in the Decorating and Thankful Spirit traditions, but I don't recall specifically. This just happened recently. Definitely remember all age groups (except babies obv) getting the Grand Meal tradition at the very least.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've played many holidays on many saves by now, and probably done a dozen "Grand Meal" traditions. Until yesterday, my toddlers, children and teens participated in the Grand Meal tradition, and I'm pretty sure children also participated in Decorate and Thankful Spirit. Now all of the young age groups are ignoring Grand Meal, and the only tradition the actual "child" age group is acknowledging is Holiday Gnomes. Pretty sure it's not supposed to be this way.

Tested this in my plain save with the Goth family in addition to having seen it in two other saves. Present with and without mods.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16 (1,593 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [TO TEST] [S] Child/Teen ignoring Grand Meal, and other age-related traditio

[ Edited ]
Hero

I found this on SimsVIP's guide: https://simsvip.com/sims-4-seasons-guide/#Traditions

That's what it says for Grand Meal.

Loved by: Angelic (Toddler), Charmer (Toddler), Clingy (Toddler), Glutton, and Family-Oriented Sims
Ignored by: Toddlers, Children, Teens, and Mean-Spirited Sims

So, looks like this was always the case. Toddlers do participate if they have certain traits.

You can  check the guide for the other traditions too. If you had them before, I'd say it was either a mod doing it or it was a bug then.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 4 of 16 (1,540 Views)

All Replies

Hero
Are you sure it was the children and teens that enjoyed the holiday ?

From your pic, I doubt that's a bug. It rather looks as by design to me.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (1,566 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Yes, I’m sure. And as the post says, toddlers participated in grand meal as well.

Message 3 of 16 (1,559 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I found this on SimsVIP's guide: https://simsvip.com/sims-4-seasons-guide/#Traditions

That's what it says for Grand Meal.

Loved by: Angelic (Toddler), Charmer (Toddler), Clingy (Toddler), Glutton, and Family-Oriented Sims
Ignored by: Toddlers, Children, Teens, and Mean-Spirited Sims

So, looks like this was always the case. Toddlers do participate if they have certain traits.

You can  check the guide for the other traditions too. If you had them before, I'd say it was either a mod doing it or it was a bug then.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 16 (1,541 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

The fact that it's on a third party site doesn't seem like proof that it's "by design". It seems like an oversight if anything, like not including the Spooky Stuff costumes in the Wear Costumes tradition. There is no logical reason why minors without a trait like Mean would ignore this particular tradition. Especially teens. And I have definitely had minors with other traits participate in the past. Again, this is about participation, not loving the tradition. Why would one toddler love the tradition and another toddler ignore it because of their age? Why would one child ignore it because of a trait while others ignore it because of their age? Same with teens, who can actually cook and participate with most other traditions. It makes no sense. The trailer of the expansion even features a family with all of these age groups doing a grand meal together.

There are also other age-related traditions that don't work out correctly. Like what I pointed out in another post about children loving the Trick of Treat tradition despite not being able to interact with trick or treaters. There seem to be some unusual inconsistencies if not oversights in how these traditions are flagged. The external 3rd party fan sites are just reporting on things as they are. So I stand by what I posted. This doesn't seem correct.

Message 5 of 16 (1,505 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I might not understand what you're saying correctly then but from your picture, it's about who ignores what ?

I'm confused now what you mean, tbh. Could you define participate ? Can they not sit at the actual table and eat ? Or do they not come if you call to a grand meal ? I haven't played the grand meal in a long while but I was going by your picture on the error report.

Spooky tradition does seem to have a few issues but that seems to have been the case since start. 

While SimsVIP isn't an official site, it shows that it's always been that way about who ignores what.

Unfortunately I currently don't have the time for testing further. Waiting for more votes. Also changed title to reflect it's not about ignoring but about participation.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 16 (1,491 Views)

★★★ Guide

It is about ignoring. It’s about the fact that there is no logical explanation for all minor (as in younger than young adult) age groups ignoring a tradition with some arbitrary exceptions. I’m not saying that they can’t eat a grand meal. I’m saying that they ignore that, and several other traditions that make no sense for their age group. Except apparently when they don’t. 

There is is a difference between loving a tradition (heart around tradition) and participation in it (ie, not ignoring it—it is available to complete). There is no logical explanation as to why one group of toddlers would *love* a tradition while all others ignore it because of their age rather than simply participating in it. Likewise, there’s no logical explanation for why a child would ignore a tradition because they are mean, but all other children ignore it because they are children. And the Grand Meal is an example of this because it’s something that everyone can physically do. It’s literally just eating. Children can interact with gnomes to fulfill a tradition, but not eat a grand meal? And they also participate in the “Grilling” food tradition, so there is precedent for participation in this type of tradition. It’s so arbitrary. This screams oversight. I don’t believe this is how it was intended to be executed. It makes no sense. 

Please reread all of my posts and translate them if necessary into whatever language you’re playing in (German, I presume), and maybe get some more experience with holidays and traditions. I don’t think you are seeing the distinction between participating in a tradition—not the ACTION, but the holiday tradition—versus loving the tradition, versus ignoring the tradition. Again, none of it makes sense, and it seems arbitrary in an accidental way. 

Message 7 of 16 (1,465 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

As I said above, I don't have the time to test this further. I do believe I understood you correctly the first time  and just got confused by the participating/not loving thing.

Waiting for more votes on this, especially if it was ever the case before.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 16 (1,454 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I've definitely seen this as well. Personally, on the off-chance that this IS by design, I greatly disagree with the creative team's decision here. Toddlers, kids, and teens are fully capable of eating a Grand Meal, so why do they ignore the tradition? It makes NO sense to me.

Message 9 of 16 (1,449 Views)

Hero
@Lorraine-Simmer Was it like that for you from start or different as OP says ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 16 (1,442 Views)