Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] [IL] Mermaid won't admit to being mermaid

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.52.100
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play with mermaid and use "ask if mermaid" interaction.
What happens when the bug occurs? Not sure if this is a bug or just not fully fleshed out feature, but my mermaid refuses to admit she is a mermaid. She was swimming in the water with a mermaid tail and the sim she's dating asked if she was a mermaid, and she denied it. Do mermaids just always deny being mermaids?
What do you expect to see? I'd think it would make sense for the mermaid to fess up when asked if she's a mermaid, especially if the sim asking has a high relationship. Also, it's weird no one acknowledges her being a mermaid. Like she swims around with a tail and no one blinks.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Message 1 of 10 (13,055 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [UNSURE] [IL] Mermaid won't admit to being mermaid

Community Manager (retired)

A Merfolk with high friendship or romance rel will tell a Sim if they are a merfolk. Otherwise, they deny it. This is the intended design.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (12,453 Views)

All Replies

Re: [UNSURE/A] [IL] Mermaid won't admit to being mermaid

★★★★★ Apprentice

You said they were dating, so I assume their romance bar was high, but how high was the friendship bar?

I asked a sim if she was a mermaid once we were "good friends" and she immediately confirmed, while at another time I asked a near stranger while swimming next to her and she denied it (which I personally found funny). So I think it's definitely linked to how high your relationship is. Maybe you need to be good friends? It might also depend on the mermaid's mood.

Message 2 of 10 (12,890 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@crinrictitsssarah11 for me i have to use the conch shell near them and after they come up to me "ask about strange reaction" and then they admit to being mermaids.
Message 3 of 10 (12,813 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have had a mermaid NPC admit she was a mermaid after my sim became best friends with her (full friendship bar). You need to have a really high level relationship for them to admit they are mermaids. So far on my end it doesn't seem to be a bug at all.

Message 4 of 10 (12,806 Views)

Hero
Added as unsure

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 10 (12,610 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

A Merfolk with high friendship or romance rel will tell a Sim if they are a merfolk. Otherwise, they deny it. This is the intended design.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 6 of 10 (12,454 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@SimGuruNick But, should this really be the case when the mermaid is in their mermaid-form? I makes sense when they're in humanoid form, but it doesn't make sense when they have their fin out.
Message 7 of 10 (10,816 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This might be too late to reply, but I found out that you have to be ''best friends'' with someone to have them say that they are a mermaid. I tried it with ''good friends'', but it didn't work for me as it did for you. When it comes to romantic relationships, I haven't tried just yet. 

To answer you on the last thing you wrote: I don't think it depends on the mood of the mermaid. I tried asking when the mermaid and my sim was acquaintances (didn't work and she was happy), when they were good friends (still didn't work and she was happy), and then a last time when they had become best friends (it worked this time and she was still happy).

Message 8 of 10 (10,188 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Blow the conch around suspected mermaids and see their reaction.

They come up to you and make dolphin sounds, which is both hilarious and a dead giveaway.

Message 9 of 10 (4,073 Views)

Hero

As @Naemi_Han said, blow the conch around one and then you get a new option to ask them why they reacted  and then they will admit to being a mermaid even without high relationship.  

Message 10 of 10 (4,028 Views)