Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] Friezes and Exterior Trims drawing on Interior Walls

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living Get Together Get to Work Dine out Spa Day Outdoor Retreat Romantic Garden Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Don't know
What happens when the bug occurs? See attached picture
What do you expect to see? Exterior friezes and trims should stay on exterior walls instead of automatically drawing themselves on interior walls.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This "bug" has been occurring since the original game released. Exterior friezes and trims will show up on the interior walls and I can't delete them unless I delete them from exterior walls too. This regularly occures when I attempt a 2 story room. I spend hours rebuilding rooms, removing and replacing floors, redrawing walls. Occasionally something will work and the trim on the inside wall will disappear but remain on the outside wall. I have even occasionally tried rebuilding my buildings from the ground up without success. Can I do something solve this problem?? If not can EA please figure out how to fix this? Thanks very much.

Message 1 of 17 (26,815 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Friezes and Exterior Trims drawing on Interior Walls

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@lansta1 Yes, so the half walls are the issue.  You either need to redraw that area you've currently got marked off with a half wall using the custom room tool, or you need to forgo the half wall altogether.  You might experiment with using bb.moveobjects and the shrink command ([) to place objects along the area to simulate a divider:

11-28-17_5-20-02 PM.png

View in thread

Message 10 of 17 (27,834 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@lansta1 Friezes and trims can intrude into the interior when the interior (or part of it) is not what the game considers a room.  This is not actually a bug but a matter of how the space is constructed.  It commonly occurs when people use fencing or half walls in the interior that connect with an exterior wall,  It can also happen when building with manual walls vs. the room or custom room tools.  On the face of it, with the way you have drawn your build in the image, I am not seeing any dead giveaway as to what has caused it in your case.  I drew a similar structure based on your image and did not have any intruding trim/friezes.  I might be able to offer suggestions if I knew the steps you took while building the structure or if you would like to upload it to the Gallery (you could just call it something like "Test Intruding Trim").  There is also more information in this thread, which also deals with undesired graphical effects when the game does not consider an area to be a room.

Message 2 of 17 (26,751 Views)

★ Apprentice
Thanks very much for your response and help.

I do have a half wall in the interior, however deleting the half wall or replacing it with a full wall does not fix the problem.

If I delete a section of the half wall it removes the floor above it (top floor) and places a floor on the second floor). Replacing the half wall with a full wall does not remove the interior trim. Replacing the interior trim re-draws the interior trim.

Attached pictures:
1) interior showing half wall.
2) shows what happens when section of half wall is deleted.
3) shows roof top after half wall deleted.

I almost always create my buildings by drawing individual walls (wall tool) instead of drawing with the room tool. That said I tried to recreate the build using the room tool and was still getting unfavorable results. I could upload the build to the community but I really hate uploading unfinished builds. 😕

It's too bad that EA doesn't have a way of us manually setting the exterior walls.
Message 3 of 17 (26,744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I think I have the problem figured out now. I went over my build and drew over top of every single wall using only the custom room tool. It seems to have set the exterior walls properly. So far the exterior trim is not protruding into the interior space anymore and my half walls are not having any negative affect either.

Thanks very much for your help!!

**UPDATE** 

The problem returned. I spent a couple of hours placing furniture in the build. Suddenly I noticed that the floor had returned in the second story of my my two story room. I deleted the floor and everything was fine until I attempted to paint the wall. As soon as I placed bricks on one wall section it deleted the roof again and the exterior trim encroached back into the building!! I'm back at square one! I can't seem to fix it!

Message 4 of 17 (26,736 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lansta1 have you tried drawing a flat on the area that is missing its ceiling (roof)?  Did you have bb.moveobjects turned on during any of the steps you described?  I know you are reluctant to upload the build, but if you change your mind, it might help me give you some very concrete feedback.  It would be helpful to work with it at the point before you painted the wall, in order to see that step in action.

Message 5 of 17 (26,722 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have uploaded the build to the community under the title "Trim Intrusion Test (BUG)"

If you would like to play around with it and see what happens with it, please feel free to do so.

I can't duplicate the glitch where painting a section of the wall after removing the floor area on the second level removed the roof.

bb.moveobjects On was enabled throughout the majority of the build process.

Let me know when you have downloaded and I will remove it from the community.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 17 (26,715 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lansta1 Did you already remove the lot from the gallery?  I am not seeing it.  Perhaps you could provide me with a web link from the online gallery?  

Message 7 of 17 (26,692 Views)

★ Apprentice
Hi,
Yes I pulled it off the gallery last night. I just reposted it under the following title:

Trim Intrusion Test (Bug)

Thanks.
Message 8 of 17 (26,684 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Okay, I got it if you want to pull it off the Gallery @lansta1.  Will take a look at it & let you know what I find.

Message 9 of 17 (26,681 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@lansta1 Yes, so the half walls are the issue.  You either need to redraw that area you've currently got marked off with a half wall using the custom room tool, or you need to forgo the half wall altogether.  You might experiment with using bb.moveobjects and the shrink command ([) to place objects along the area to simulate a divider:

11-28-17_5-20-02 PM.png

Message 10 of 17 (27,835 Views)