Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] [ECO] Can't place objects on balcony in apartment

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Deutsch
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.134.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By either trying to edit the left apartment in evergreen harbour or by moving in a family or a Sim.
What happens when the bug occurs? Usually you would be able to edit the balcony in that said apartment left side but it says objects can't be placed unless a sim occupies that apartment or if it's not occupied in general. The message doesn't change when a sim is living in that apartment. It's clearly a part of that left apartment.
What do you expect to see? That the balcony can be edited with objects within that apartment.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Thought this might be a bug.

The message doesn't change if I try to edit that apartment without a sim living there or if a sim already lives there.

I attached 3 pictures.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 8 of 85 (28,353 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Balcony Glitch?

Community Manager (retired)

Hi all, this is a design decision and I have more info from SimGuruPaul to share on why: 

Thanks for playing Eco Lifestyle, Simmers. We want to address your feedback on the balcony of Pinecrest Apartment #404.  Some of you might have seen some early videos in which Game Changers were building on balconies. They were playing on an Alpha build that had the issues described below. When we initially designed and built that apartment, we planned for the balcony to be buildable space to make up for the real-life limitation of not having a yard.  We ran into some challenges along the way and we’d like to share with you what happened. 

We learned during production that the tech for swapping the apartment exteriors with gameplay could not accommodate this due to complications with the apartment exterior dynamically changing with the neighborhood. The balcony also had a bug in which neighbors looking for the front door would walk through the apartment uninvited to get to the balcony and then knock on the sliding glass door. How rude! We tried a fix that enabled items to be placed on the balcony, but this resulted in more bugs:

• When the town enacted the Modern Development Neighborhood Action Plan (NAP), the balcony wall did not update to match the wood paneling from the rest of the building. If you tried to fix the pattern manually, the wall did not respond predictably.
  • That NAP caused the window and the door to disappear erratically.

We explored and attempted multiple fixes, but when they didn’t pan out, we decided the best option was to return to a static balcony and adjust the logic for determining the front door.  We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and we hope this at least gives some insight into what went into the decision.

SimGuruPaul

View in thread

Message 51 of 85 (28,257 Views)

All Replies

Balcony Glitch?

★★★ Newbie

I just downloaded and started playing Eco Lifestyle but I noticed in the Pinecrest Apartment #404 that I'm not able to put anything on the balcony. It says that I cannot make changes outside of owned area. I've seen a couple of videos that show this balcony as an area that you can furnish and I'm not sure if the fact that I can't is a glitch or how I should fix it!

Message 1 of 85 (28,498 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

Same here! I’m surprised more people AREN’T talking about this. It’s really frustrating. Like how many patches do we have to get after a new game gets released. Can they not just test this stuff prior to release.

Message 2 of 85 (28,451 Views)

★★ Novice

I am also having this problem. Hopefully EA fixes it soon.

Message 3 of 85 (28,425 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@megh315 Yeah it’s so frustrating because it would be a really great area ...
Message 4 of 85 (28,390 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah oath; I’ve noticed a few little things that aren’t quite right. But I’m not really sure if it’s meant to be an in-game change or if they just forgot to put it back again. Like have you guys noticed food somehow isn’t spoiling anymore? I don’t know maybe it’s just me but I’ve okay tested it without my mods folder and I still have the same issues. Stressing me out 

Message 5 of 85 (28,376 Views)

Moved this thread out of Mac into General Discussion. I would expect balconies to be off-limits in an apartment in keeping with the building restrictions. Maybe the users in the videos have used the T.O.O.L. Mod to place objects off lot and into the world?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 85 (28,332 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora it definitely isn’t the T.O.O.L mod, I mean I’m not 100% familiar with it as I don’t use it but I’m certain you can’t use it to place flooring and wallpaper correct? In addition, a lot of game changers on YouTube have posted videos prior to public release of the game where they have been able to fully use the balcony. As we were told by them and see they we’re given early release which restricted all packs but base game and eco lifestyle and no ability to enable mods. I’ve attached a picture from Kayla’s (lilsimsie) video. The balcony was a fully functioning part of the apartment prior to the official release of the game. 

Message 7 of 85 (28,321 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue! 😩 please fix this EA

Message 9 of 85 (28,265 Views)

Re: Can't place objects on balcony in apartment

★ Guide

Same here, and it was the biggest selling point of the new apartments.

Message 10 of 85 (28,263 Views)