Re: Be a Pro mode can't play Center, get stuck as winger

by SkylerJames13

Original Post

Community Manager
@SkylerJames13 I'll pass along your thoughts. You're one of the more vocal and passionate player on these forums. I cannot guarantee any significant overhauls to Be a Pro and Franchise modes for NHL 21 as I haven't heard of anything we can confirm that's in the pipeline.

I understand those features are important to you, but it might be best to create a separate topic so we don't go off-topic with this post being related to being forced a winger when Center is their preferred position.
Blueberry.png
Message 21 of 42 (3,454 Views)

★★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberry Imagine someone took your favourite sport, and they’re the only ones that makes a game for that sport, and then completely ruins it and makes it pointless to play since its full of bugs, and they removed the good features and replaced them with buggy, useless features. Yeah it’s definitely made me vocal and frustrated.

I’ve always created those threads so I’ll just bump them since they’ve been ignored for the past 2-3 months
Message 22 of 42 (3,442 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry I'm just gonna bump this again so that it stays on someone's mind how awful this is. A completely non-functioning feature. I pre-ordered this game because of the BAP overhaul. Its the only mode I really love and paid full price for the first time in eons to show that I support that. Well I will never be buying another one of these games again. Ever. There are mountains of obvious other bugs in this mode and other similar modes (offline modes that EA can't profiteer as hard on I guess). but lets focus in on secondary positions. So we are trying to get a sense here of whether or not this is a bug or just the worst design decision possible. Lets look at the facts of position selecting

1: forwards cannot 2nd D and D cannot 2nd forward
2: Wings are placed interchangeably on L or R depending on team openings regardless of which wing is their primary/secondary
3: a 1st or 2nd overall drafted center will play a season at least as a top line winger, until his overall surpasses either Zebanijad or Kopitar
4: A winger who's secondary is another wing will NEVER (I repeat, n-e-v-e-r) be played as a center
4a: A winger who'd secondary is center will NEVER (I repeat even louder N_E_V_E_R) be played as a center
5: Coaches set goals based on primary position roles, and you will be docked for not taking faceoffs
6: on that note: the only skill in the game (as a skater) that can only be trained by 1 position is faceoffs by center. So even if you play long enough to get your overall to 88+ at wing and actually get put at center, you'll be facing off against top line centers in the NHL with a 55-60 faceoff stat unless you dedicate training hours (needed to advance things like speed and balance) needlessly to a skill you can't even use until you're 88+ overall
7: You cannot play bad enough to be center. If you get yourself demoted to the 4th line, you can't play center at 4th. You can't play center at 3rd. you can only advance to being a top line winger for YEARS before maybe being allowed to be center.
8: A lower line center is more likely to replace the center on your line if they are injured than you unless you are on the 1st line

There are others but that covers the bulk of it. So the claim here is that this is not a bug that is being ignored but is actually on purpose. And that that purpose is to simulate realism. Lets talk realism point by point. Point 1: 2 of the most well-known position shifting players of the current era were Byfuglien and Burns, who both played foward and D. And yet I can't think of 1 top line in the league that would be looking to swap its right wing with its center. No team is built like that. but players do go from D to F and F to D. So on point 1 its entirely unrealistic. Bad start. Point 2: your cover player is ALEX OVECHKIN. I know EA doesn't care about the NHL games but good lord pretend like you know who is on your box. Ovi played 1 season out of 15 as a right wing. not his first, like his 7th from a weird stupid coach and everyone remembers it as a huge mistake. so if I'm meant to be making a legacy for myself like a realy 1st overall like ovi, in BAP, why can't I follow the trajectory of those same players? If I'm putting up hat tricks every game why am I on the wrong side? Unrealistic. Point 3: Ovi's rivals are Malkin and Crosby. 2 centers, drafted 1st overall and 2nd overall to THE SAME TEAM, who have played center their entire careers. So more real world examples from the real NHL showing that any chance of claiming this was for realism is a complete lie. Point 4: this is actually realistic. because center is a specialized role, it doesn't mean "a very good winger". Its almost like everything about the other positions is indicating something completely counter to your claim about center. Point 5: Do I even have to say it? That coach would be fired immediately for demoting a player for not doing something he didn't let the player even try to do. especially when that player is a 1st overall pick and that something is playing the correct position. Point 6: Please find me 1 example of a player who spends hours per week training faceoffs to play wing. top line wing. Please. 1. find me 1 player. I'll wait. Point 7: why is it that the game identifies that AI players have no issue being locked into the center role even on the bottom line, but I can't? Nic Dowd has more staying power as a 4th line C than I can as an 85 OA 1st overall player leading the league in scoring. cooooooooooool. and point 8: seriously? 

So its either that something was made for realism that has no dimensions of realism to it. Or, and hear me out here, this is a bug. The feature is not functioning and should be fixed. How hard can it be to tweak the likelihood that you can play C? Or at least if you're going to lie to cover up for an obvious bug, make sure the cover player and that players lifelong rivals aren't high draft picks that slotted into their positions on day 1 and never moved. Because its like spray-painting "we're liars" on the cover of every game. 

There, I'm done. With this stupid game and its future instances. I just had to say my piece after reading through these absolutely unacceptable BS replies covering for the failures of this game that blueberry is offering. 60 dollars that I would've been better off lighting on fire. Even just getting BAP up to like fifa levels of fun to play, if a bit thoughtless and annoying, would be worth the 60 bucks to me. This was the only reason I had a ps4, play everything else on PC. good to know I won't need a PS5. 

Message 23 of 42 (3,326 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

In my be a pro I am a right wing primary and center secondary. Is there a way to be center permanently? I am the best forward and the captain on my team (which I gotta say I feel the game gives you the C to early and I feel like I didn’t really deserve it) 

Message 24 of 42 (3,230 Views)

Re: BE A PRO - CENTER stuck playing WING every game

★★★ Newbie

It wouldn't be so bad if the challenges were on the currant position you were playing at that moment. What makes it so frustrating is that you get challenges that is for a center when you are a wing and when you play out of your position to succeed at the challenge you shouldn't have received in the first place you get a negative on your play any way.

Message 25 of 42 (3,135 Views)

★ Novice

What really sucks is playing a full season at Center, winning all the hardware and being totally awesome, then the team goes and gets a Center thats a 94 to play in front of you at 92... Why would a team that had a dominant Center sign one that is essentially the same? Oh to make the game moderately less fun for the player...

Message 26 of 42 (3,041 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

In my second year I am still on the wing. I have 79 overall faceoffs. Trevor zegras in his FIRST YEAR has 74 overall faceoffs and is playing center instead of me. Stop trying to logically justify it when it is clearly a bug in the game. Also why is the pk line score so * up? I could have 3 blocked shots, 3 take aways and zero goals against in one game and the pk line score goes down. 

Message 27 of 42 (3,024 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Whenever I play center , it won't let me. But my secondary position is Left wing and they put me on the right because of my shot. Why? Why do you have these if you are just going to completely disregard our desired positions

Message 28 of 42 (2,997 Views)

★★★ Newbie

And what @SkylerJames13 is saying. Yea it's all true. What was the point of this whole thing? The draft is rigged , the dialogue isn't even realistic, and it is pretty much like a beginners mode. I've been playing since 2011 , got  nothing much from it other than NHL 14.. I've been loyal to EA for many years but they expect us to spend $500 on a new console and then $90 on the game next year for 'hopes' that we will have a good game ? That was just like NHL 15 , that didn't go well... now hopefully it'll actually be somewhat playable next year.. it's just so repetitive and you took out so much for what? EA is a $24 Billion company and you have the budget to make it , but with it you decide to make a halfass game. It just kind of sickens me that I get so excited every year for what . Just please fix Be a pro and just the game itself , EA

Message 29 of 42 (2,990 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@crazytoss230 If this was realism, the coach wouldn't have a center that is 40 percent successful at winning face offs when I am 90 percent successful.
Message 30 of 42 (2,962 Views)