Original Post

Audio cuts out followed by game freeze

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Please specify your platform model. Microsoft Xbox One X
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? spacemongral
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Happened with multiple Legends
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Happened in multiple places
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Has happened while doing multiple things. Doesn't seem to be triggered by a specific action.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Sometimes multiple, often none.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 05/02/2019
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? I will be going along playing through the match and the audio will cut out. Usually about 20-30 seconds later the game will freeze forcing me to restart. It also happens every time I play the tutorial.
What should be happening instead? The game shouldn't freeze.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It happens every time I play the tutorial. Otherwise it seems pretty random.

I'm playing on an Xbox one x and have the game installed on an external hard drive. I tried reinstalling and it didn't fix anything. I have not talked to anyone else who has experienced this so I'm guessing it is pretty rare.

Message 1 of 6 (4,305 Views)

Re: Audio cuts out followed by game freeze

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Just want to follow up that this is still happening. I'm noticing it happening a lot when I'm at the final 2 or 3 squads. It's cost me multiple games.

Edit: just want to clarify that I'm not sure there's necessarily a correlation between being in the last few squads. I've seen it happen at other times but I've noticed recently that's when it's been happening most. 

Message 2 of 6 (4,212 Views)

★★ Novice

So I may have fixed my problem.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall to the internal hard drive. I uninstalled then decided to check and found that I had an available system update for the Xbox. I updated then reinstalled to the internal and was able to successfully get through the tutorial. My guess is the system update is what fixed it  I'll update here if I play more and find that it keeps freezing. Hope this helps anyone else having this issue.

Message 3 of 6 (4,196 Views)

★ Novice
@jamehole I have the same problem on my Xbox One X as well. I also have the game set up at work with 2 original Xbox Ones and an Xbox One S and never have any issues. To me this makes it seem directly related to the Xbox One X but I also have another friend I usually play with that doesn't have these issues so I'm not sure. I also have my game installed on my external hard drive but I'm currently moving it to the internal hard drive to see if that fixes it. My internet is generally really good and doesn't give me issues outside of packet loss in Rocket League although I'm convinced that's a Rocket League server issue.

Here is the process of what happens:

- Running around fine for the first 5-10 minutes
- Audio start to cut out selectively. I can't hear footsteps (mine, enemy, or friendly) or environment sounds but I can hear the sound of my own gun firing.
- The game starts to stutter for 15-30 seconds before completely freezing.
- Freezes completely for a minute or two

Around this time I either:

1. Regain control of my character for a short time but am already disconnected from the server so all the players are frozen and I can't shoot.
OR
2. Get kicked to the main menu with an error message about disconnecting from the server.

Hard resetting seemed to fix it for at least a few games in the past. I'd test right now but trying to move the game seemed to completely freeze my Xbox. Now I'm going to just try to uninstall from the external and install on the internal.
Message 4 of 6 (3,989 Views)

★★ Novice
@opouIy Did you ever get this fixed? It was working for me fine on PS4 up until yesterday then I started having the same exact behavior
Message 5 of 6 (1,987 Views)

★ Guide

@jamehole , @freethebes , @opouIy 

I don’t know if any of you still need this, but the reason this is being experienced is the Serial speed for an external drive is too low to get all the needed dat per frame. Thus, the audio engine terminated as it runs out of code and hangs.

The Xbox One X was developed as a testing bed for the drive architecture of the Series series of Xboxes. While you can download to external drives, best practice is to use the drive to STORE files you are not using, but don’t want to delete and reinstall later. Migrating drive to drive is shorter, and that’s all the drive is meant for, is to allow you to hold games in reserve then transfer to avoid download times.

You MUST put games, especially large ones, on the INTERNAL drive to function properly.

Message 6 of 6 (1,973 Views)