Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Mission
What was the name of the Mission / Contract / Stronghold you were on? intro
What was your chosen difficulty level? Normal
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Ranger
What was your Expedition team makeup? Mix of the above
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. During flight
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 23.02.19 22:00
Summarize your bug The arrow keys control the flight HUD. I'm left handed and rebind keys to allow me to use the arrow keys for movement. everytime I tried to fly my HUD and movement indicator circle would point straight up causing me to hit the sky until the jet pack overheated. It literally took me two hours to figure out that the arrow keys are controlling the HUD and since I was always moving forward (up arrow) the javelin would shoot to the sky.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use the up arrow key in flight
What happens when the bug occurs? Javlin becomes unresponsive to mouse movements during flight.
What should be happening instead? Unbind the arrow keys to the flight HUD so left handed people can play without issue.

This is a video I made of what happens when you use the up arrow key during flight. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idVU-IGVzA0 

Message 1 of 7 (2,272 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Arrow keys bound to flight hud makes it difficult for left-handed players

★★ Novice

Hi fellow lefty gamers, I also was battling this issue and wasn't finding much online. I did however find a work around to the issue so figured would post it if it helps anyone else out there to be able to play with arrows. Download Microsoft power toys https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/ and there is an application in there called keyboard manager. Enable it and remap your arrows keys to WASD. Take Care

View in thread

Message 7 of 7 (974 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice
For 2 days I've been trying to figure out why I can't keep up with people and trying to swim press left arrow right arrow is driving me crazy. Please fix this it's a stupid oversight.
Message 2 of 7 (2,245 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Why you'd choose to use the arrow keys in any game for movement doesn't make logical sense to me aside from the fact that they're easy to differentiate. Right-handed people would have a severe advantage over a left-handed person using the arrow keys since we (the right-handed people) have numerous other keys within easy reach of each finger; Q, E, R, T, Z, X, C, V, space, etc - which we can bind to do other things. If a left-handed person used the arrow keys your options are severely limited.

Instead of using arrow keys, look at the keyboard. See how there's a pattern on the sides? The WASD keys are surrounded by many keys. Now shift to the right side of the keyboard. See how P, L, ;, and ' are surrounded by keys in a similar pattern? Use those. Your thumb can rest on the space bar as it does for a right-handed player, and if you use ALT to crouch in some games (like I do since I use a Razer Blackwidow) you can rest your thumb right between ALT and the space bar.

If you don't want to use those keys as movement keys because you've been using arrow keys for years and blah blah blah, then just remember you're still going to be at a disadvantage doing the same thing in games where PvP is a real thing since most other players can have many things bound within very easy reach....you can't.

Message 3 of 7 (2,232 Views)

★ Novice

Spoken like a true right-hander, but I appreciate the amount of thought you put into your response. Hard-coding keys is a PC port issue that was solved a decade ago. To have this issue in an A+ title is just mind boggling. I haven't seen this level of poor implementation since the PS2 days. Not just the keyboard, but with the inconsistent menus, sliders that can't be clicked, menu options that sometimes can and sometimes can't be clicked, or some items you need to click and hold and others not, just makes for a frustrating experience. Not the mention the janky mouse settings as well. Seriously, do we need 8 settings for different types of mouse sensitivity?

Message 4 of 7 (2,221 Views)

★★ Novice

Has there been any solution for this? I was wondering why my key-binding changes never worked in flight mode (i.e. up arrow would always boost me into the stratosphere).

Message 5 of 7 (2,184 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh joy, its 2021 and I just installed this and found the arrow keys.... can be bound to movement, but somehow the developer also left the arrow keys permanently bound to flight movement.... so I fly straight up and/or lose the ability to fly fast unless I use a special key for "UP" while playing Anthem.

I am right handed and for THIRTY YEARS of PC gaming I have used arrows for movement in everything, like most people did. I cannot fathom why this isnt patched, and this seems like YET ANOTHER case of EA games ignoring game updates to try to reduce their labor costs. PATCH THIS GARBAGE! 

Message 6 of 7 (1,749 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi fellow lefty gamers, I also was battling this issue and wasn't finding much online. I did however find a work around to the issue so figured would post it if it helps anyone else out there to be able to play with arrows. Download Microsoft power toys https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/ and there is an application in there called keyboard manager. Enable it and remap your arrows keys to WASD. Take Care

Message 7 of 7 (975 Views)