Apex Crashing In-Game No Error Code

★★ Apprentice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB version
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32GB 4000mhz
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? GL1TCH4D
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. SeraNotti
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? All
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? All
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. All maps
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Anything
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) All the time
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Game closes. no crash report, dump file, or error code popup
What should be happening instead? Game working
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Could not determine the cause. Happened on all 3 maps in rotation, in different parts of the map.

Have been having constant crashes since the Awakening event patch. 

I play directly from Origin, no launch settings (I understand steam users were having issues with reticle settings but that's not the case here).

i9-9900k (5GHz All core) / 3080 12gb (stock no user OC) / 32GB Ram (underclocked to 4000mhz) 

Apex is installed through Origin on a secondary SSD. My primary SSD is tiny and basically only hosting a few programs and the windows install.  SFC did not detect any issues.

I am the only user / admin on this PC

Issues have not happened in lobby. I do not know how to reproduce the issue. I've crashed while in the plane, while flying, while running, while picking up something. I've played many different heroes and so have my squad mates. Has happened on all 3 maps. Crashes almost every game, sometimes twice a game.

Have tried two different Nvidia drivers and both times I did a clean install of the drivers. 512.77 and 516.40

Have closed all background services and tasks not relating to windows / intel / GPU / origin / discord (since I'm playing in discord).

Crashes don't seem to be affecting my PC friend or Xbox friend despite us being in the exact same area when it happens. 

Temps / task manager / dxdiag attached. 

Again, no error codes ever popup, no crash report / dump, nothing. Attempted a scan+repair on Origin as well as a full reinstall which has not fixed the issue. 

Help is greatly appreciated as it's the only game I can play with my friends. 

Message 1 of 19 (1,056 Views)

Re: Apex Crashing In-Game No Error Code

★★ Apprentice

Bit of an update, some dump files have appeared on the most recent crashes (but not all)

All of them have error FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: SOFTWARE_NX_FAULT_c0000005_r5apex.exe!Unknown (when I analyze the dump)

The only thread I could find covering this is here

Unfortunately the only recommendation posted there is to reinstall the drivers.

I've done a clean install of 512.77 and 516.40 (most recent) with no fix. 

Message 2 of 19 (960 Views)

Champion

Have you overclocked any of your hardware?

If so, try reverting back to factory/base clock.

Some users have found that this helps against this issue.

Message 3 of 19 (955 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@XHelperZ The cpu is overclocked, GPU is stock. As I mentioned, this only started with the most recent awakening patch. I have not changed any of my hardware settings from before / after the patch.
I noticed there's a new driver, 516.59 launched so I'll try that as well on a clean install.
Message 4 of 19 (939 Views)

Champion

@Ranked_Ape_4 

Issues from overclocking can happen at any moment as far I'm aware, recent update has made that more apparent.

If other solutions don't work, I'd recommend downclocking as others with this issue have fixed it by doing that.

Message 5 of 19 (933 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Tried disabling full screen optimization 

Tried moving the install drive for the game to another ssd (both SSDs passed verification with no errors)

Switched to newest driver 516.59 (just released a day ago or something)

Did a full Memtest86, no errors of course

Changed game settings and repaired again

Set the EAC service to restart automatically

Changed pagefile settings

Game is still crashing, just not as often.

If I have to disable OC on a CPU I find that unacceptable. CPUs have default built-in OCs, including the 9900k. That being said, I still made a basic manual OC, but it's ridiculous to expect users to go into bios to disable even factory OCs on common hardware. 

The number of recommended fixes in the Crashing Troubleshooting Guide that are absolutely ridiculous really goes to show a lot...

Message 6 of 19 (843 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Ranked_Ape_4 Not to mention the "restart EAC service fix" needs to be done every time you launch the game it looks like. What a pain in the *
Message 7 of 19 (835 Views)

Champion

@Ranked_Ape_4,

I've done some further investigating and currently it seems that this is caused by a memory leak.

Users have reported that upgrading to windows 11 has fixed it for them, though I cannot fully back this up.

If that does work, it's most likely an issue related to the OS, which Microsoft has to fix.

Though for that we'll need some more information, for now we'll act under the presumption that this is related to the Apex client.

I'm afraid there aren't any other workarounds I can offer, though if I find anything that would help the current situation then I'll let you know.

Message 8 of 19 (791 Views)

★★ Novice

With any bad luck, I think your problem is the same problem discussed in this thread.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/season-12-Constant-crashes-to-desktop-without-any-message/td-p...

I have been plagued with this problem since season 11 and have taken every possible remedy and still no improvement.
The frequency of symptoms may decrease, but that is only temporary.

Also, EA seems unwilling to address this issue, so if you have implemented the general remedies and still no improvement, there is a good chance that the problem will not get better.

Message 9 of 19 (782 Views)

Champion

Well, now I'm committed, we'll find a fix.

(Despite this having an extremely high chance to be related to either the OS or the Client)

Everyone experiencing these problems, try some of the methods mentioned below:

Method 1

1. Go to your Apex Legends directory
  2. Right click r5apex.exe
  3. Select Properties
  4. Go to the "Compatibility" tab
  5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator"

Method 2 (ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF HOW REGEDIT WORKS, MAKE A MISTAKE AND IT COULD RENDER YOUR OS UNUSABLE)

1. Press Windows key + R
  2. Type "regedit" and press enter
  3. Go to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options"
  4. Right click the ‘Image File Execution Options’ folder, then hover to new and select key. Enter the name “r5apex.exe
  5. Right click the r5apex.exe folder, hover to new and select Key, then enter the name “PerfOptions
  6. Highlight "PerfOptions" on the left, in the white space in the right, right click and hover to new and select “DWORD (32-bit) Value”, then enter “CpuPriorityClass” on the name.
  7. Double click the newly created CpuPriorityClass Dword then in the new window ensure that the base is set to Hexadecimal and set the value to 3.

Some more information related to this issue:

0:000> .ecxr
rax=00000000192e0003 rbx=0000000000000032 rcx=000000000000047b
rdx=000000000000e79e rsi=000000000000047b rdi=00000206908cb510
rip=00007ff635d4a73c rsp=0000001643161320 rbp=0000001643169540
 r8=000002083b5cf3e0  r9=0000001643163738 r10=000000000000192e
r11=0000000000000003 r12=0000000000000001 r13=00000206909b27b0
r14=000000000000047b r15=00000206908a5e28
iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0033  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010246
r5apex+0x21a73c:
00007ff6`35d4a73c f0ff0529b0de01  lock inc dword ptr [r5apex+0x200576c (00007ff6`37b3576c)] ds:00007ff6`37b3576c=????????
Message 10 of 19 (768 Views)