Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

by TheRobgoblin

Original Post

Re: Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

★★★★ Guide

@DiabloRaedon wrote:

Im having the same issue of 100% CPu usage even when sitting on the main menu screen. I have a i7 8700k 3.7ghz with a Nvidia 1070 Superclocked.

Is it also 100% in loading screens? Like is it 100% at all times and never drops? Try capping FPS. Borderless + V-SYNC: on should help at least so that there is no lockups. Check this out. The idea of this workaround is to cap FPS so that the CPU can get a breather.

@Mrpyromanen 

What is you V-SYNC setting and what is your monitor refresh rate?

Message 71 of 94 (1,599 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I can play fine with 100% cpu usage on my i5 7300HQ 1050ti the usage its normal the game uses more cpu tham gpu as its more complex and my temps are cpu 68 gpu 63 max on ultra settings full screen 1080p 60hz  i get 35 to 45 fps vsync off very playable to me no issues at all since i moved it to my wd blue 3d nand 2tb m.2 so i wouldnt worry too much about the cpu usage as long as the temps are down optimizing windows/undervolting and repasting with kryonaut does miracles Tongue out

Message 72 of 94 (1,569 Views)

★★★ Novice
I've tried everything. And I still have this issue.
My game freezes approx. about an 30 min. to an hour of playtime.

I've tried borderless + V-SYNC.
I've tried turning VOIP off.
I've tried running lower quality graphic settings.
I've tried fullscreen.
I've tried without sound.

Nothing helped, I keep freezing.
My system is basically the same as the OP.
Game is also installed on SSD.

So people shouldn't be saying borderless and v-sync should be a workaround, as it does nothing. The freeze still happens.
It should just be fixed, instead of finding a workaround.

When you pay for a game, the game should be working... When you buy a new car, you wouldn't let it slide, if it was unable to run without issues, you would go complain. Get another that was working. Or get them to fix the issue.
Message 73 of 94 (1,417 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@KixenDK wrote:
I've tried everything. And I still have this issue.
My game freezes approx. about an 30 min. to an hour of playtime.

I've tried borderless + V-SYNC.
I've tried turning VOIP off.
I've tried running lower quality graphic settings.
I've tried fullscreen.
I've tried without sound.

Can you please include a screenshot of your task manager and resource monitor during game play? Like this:

random1.jpgrandom2.jpg

Message 74 of 94 (1,410 Views)

100% cpu usage is not normal

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number nvidia rtx 2080
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB
Please select your region Europe
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Everywhere
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) all the time
Summarize your bug he game uses 100% cpu all the time, something is wrong about this. I am not talking about only when on missions, but 100% cpu usage when on the forge or in the starting menu! At this point I am surprised that you do not have posts that this game destroyed the gamers pc.... cpu: i7 4790k @ 4.6
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know. Fix your code?
What happens when the bug occurs? cpu usage is 100%
What should be happening instead? normal cpu usage

100cpu.png

Message 75 of 94 (1,261 Views)

★★ Novice
My CPU seems to be fine, sitting at 40-50% but my GPU is beening maxed to 100%. I think it might be causing my bug I’m experiencing of the game crashing my displays and causing my computer to restart itself.
Message 76 of 94 (1,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I disabled in-game VOIP as someone suggested in a previous post and I believe that fixed my issue. BUT, I did change to 'Borderless' windowed mode at the same time--so I don't know for certain which one was did the trick exactly. I'm too scared to mess with either of these settings to test it tho lol.

If it is disabling the voip, then that's pretty sad on Anthem's part.

Included my dxdiag for any that want to check it out.

Message 77 of 94 (995 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@buttercupb11ch wrote:
My CPU seems to be fine, sitting at 40-50% but my GPU is beening maxed to 100%. I think it might be causing my bug I’m experiencing of the game crashing my displays and causing my computer to restart itself.

This balance would be pretty normal if I didn't know what this game does to the CPU. On another hand, crashes maybe caused by unrelated issues than the GPU or CPU load. Did you check the temperatures of your system?

Message 78 of 94 (973 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I since the beginning realized through testing that V-SYNC: on has an effect to reduce the FPS. So, that the actual issue is alleviated by reducing the FPS to the levels when the CPU has some wiggling room. That also completely "fixes" the input lag and loss of control at expense of good graphics quality albeit stable. See here latest info and video on this method.

My temperatures are fine. Yet, I'm still getting intermittent freezes. Seems completely random. Didn't have them for a few days. Today got two.

Message 79 of 94 (972 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@yesaulTube  V-sync is currently off and my monitor is on 144HZ Standard smile sorry for slow reply.. have been out of town

Message 80 of 94 (924 Views)