Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

by TheRobgoblin

Original Post

Re: Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

★★★ Newbie

I have 16gb DDR4, i7-7700k Kaby Lake 4.2ghz, and a geforce 1080Ti. My processor is constantly hovering between 85% and 100% (only because I just dont run anything else in the background while playing now). I haven't had the game freeze on me yet, but there have been at least ten different occasions when I have gone to load into a zone and the game just literally disappears on me... 

Not to mention the load times are 1-3 minutes in length. Lol. My buddy with his newly built i9 and a 2060 RTX only loads in about 30 seconds faster than me. It's weird how much strain this game is causing on the systems. 

Message 11 of 94 (5,514 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Same bug here.

It appeared on saturday 16th, middle of the morning.

Before (on the early access which started on the 15th at 16:00 GMT+1), the bug was not present.

I suspect that the problem is located on the network part of the game (server-client) or on servers because:

- the game was not hotfixed nor patched (officially);

- players with totally different hardware setups are affected;

- game CPU/GPU overloading peaks are triggered in random situations;

When did i got the peaks:

- at respawn after dying fighting a titan in exploration free mode;

- when displaying the "appearance" tab in the forge ;

- when trying to launch mission.

Message 12 of 94 (4,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Not sure if this is what solved it but i had changed my Nvidia drivers to the latest ones a couple days ago, so i went back to mid November 2018 drivers that i had previously and been playing for almost 8 hours with only 1 freeze.

My card is an Nvidia GTX 1080

Message 13 of 94 (3,991 Views)

★★ Novice

Same thing is happening to a friend of mine, hopefully we get a response soon

Message 14 of 94 (3,821 Views)

★ Novice

Same issues, similar set up: GTX 1070, i5 7700 only 8gb ram but still...

I’ll upload dxdiag when I’m not on my phone!

Message 15 of 94 (3,804 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

Just tried the nvidia driver rollback, unsucessfully.

(was not convinced, as the game perfectly ran on my computer with the latest nvidia driver until saturday middle of the morning).

The game is not fully fluid in FPS view.

As soon as i even try to add a codex entry, the CPU/GPU are overloaded and i need to kill both Anthem and Origin processes to regain control of the computer.

So the code is dirty.

And it's not acceptable on a game one week before it's launch.

Or EA should not have sold early access.

Message 16 of 94 (3,811 Views)

★★ Novice
POSSIBLE FIX, friend of mine ran the game in windowed mode, not fullscreen, not window borderless and his cpu is showing normal usage amounts and the input lag issue seems to be gone.
Message 17 of 94 (3,813 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@ItsMcDoodly That did nothing for me, it may hopefully help someone else though!
Message 18 of 94 (3,652 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Update : After a few hours searching for some solutions and tracking the CPU problem with some test on my computer . I found nothing bad with my setup and my hardware.

So i decided to reinstall windows 10 and only install GPU, CPU and sound drivers.

Origin and Anthem.

At some points i tried to play Anthem without Steelseries Engine, Madcatz Drivers (Keyboard) and a clean drive .

I had 1 freez in 5 hours of playing Anthem, and no more mouse/keyboard cut out. (Before it was unplayable with freeze every 10min and cut out every minutes). CPU is near 80% of use in game ans 35% in Fort Tarsis (was everytime 100% before).

So i espect some drivers conflicts / incompatibility with Anthem and this build how make the game crash. I cannot identify whos and why. 

One important point is Bioware need to optimise there game and the loading on HDD, this is really bad for the launch if a lot of people experiencing theses performance problems..

Message 19 of 94 (3,642 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Been having the same issue since alpha. Crashing every 5-10 minutes. My entire system locks up and audio hitches requiring a hard reset. This does not happen with any games/software but Anthem. My hype for this game has tanked really hard with the disastrous performance.

Message 20 of 94 (3,466 Views)