Re: Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

by TheRobgoblin

Original Post

Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

★★★ Apprentice

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Asus Nvidia GTX 1070 Gaming 8GB
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
Please select your region Europe
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Storm
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Mission
What was your Expedition team makeup? Mix of the above
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. During the mission "Lost Arcanist" which I believe is the first actual mission in the "big world".
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 15.02.19 19:25 GMT+1 (Stockholm)
Summarize your bug The game pushes my CPU usage to 100% with the game client grabbing ALL the surplus available power to itself only dropping some usage on some loading screens for about 30 seconds and then spikes right back up again. After about 7-8 minutes of playing I start getting small freezes, lasting for about a second, if even that long. After another minute or so the game acts like I'm holding down whatever key I last pressed, movement, skills, shooting, etc. and after another minute it will just freeze up completely and I'll need to pop the task manager and kill it off.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not entirely sure if you can recreate it, but if necessary I could recreate and record it.
What happens when the bug occurs? The game freezes up comletely and I have to use the task manager to end the process.
What should be happening instead? I suppose that the reasonable thing happening would be that I should be able to play the game properly.

I never had this issue during the demo weekends but for some reason as I start Anthem my Intel I5 6600K CPU spikes up to and keeps running at 100%.
The GPU usage varies depending on my settings but I'm not getting crappy FPS or anything (it's somewhere in the range of 120-144+ depending on my settings), the game runs perfectly fine... for a while.
After about 7-8 minutes of playing I start getting small freezes, lasting for about a second, if even that long.
After another minute or so the game acts like I'm holding down whatever key I last pressed, movement, skills, shooting, etc. and after another minute it will just freeze up and I'll need to pop the task manager and kill it off.

This has happened while playing solo, with a friend along with randoms through matchmaking and with only randoms through matchmaking.

I have also tried different graphics settings, all the way from low up to ultra (which is what the VIP Demo version was set to and it worked fine with 120+ FPS).

As it is right now, I can't play the game.

I'll attach my Dx Diagnostics as well.

Message 1 of 94 (18,708 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the same issue on my i5 7600k. Constant 100% Cpu usage, but the temps aren't going up all that much, so it has me utterly confused.

My GPU is a 1060 6gb if that's needed for anything. 

Message 2 of 94 (18,583 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Drop a DxDiag in here as well to let them know your full specs.
Open up the start menu and search for "run" then write DxDiag and hit enter, let it run and then save it and just dump in here in another reply and they might be able to use it to find something.
Message 3 of 94 (18,574 Views)

★★ Novice

Same here.
I should have 0 issues with running this game.

i5-8500

GTX 1070

16GB ram

Anthem is installed on an SSD.

Attached is a DxDiag of my system.

Dropping settings to the lowest doesnt help, CPU and GPU keep hitting 100% usage, however there is a noticeable drop in visual quality as you might expect. But staying at 100% usage, that doesnt make sense. 

Message 4 of 94 (18,554 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi,

I have the same problem here.

I have some lottle freez, and a full game freez every 5-10 minutes playing. Can only open the task manager and kill the app.

Its using 100% of my CPU and 60% of my GPU.

I tried everything like changing graphics low/ultra. Some technical test and stress test. I didn't had any of theses freez on the DEMO.

I use i5 6600k - HyperX Fury 2600Mhz 16go - EVGA 980 SC .

Don't have any problem with all other games i play. 

Need a fix or what can i do?

Message 5 of 94 (18,538 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same exact issue for me and just started happening, i was running the game early missions no problem now it freezes after 5 mins in the main story mission.  CPU at 100%  I5 6600k and GTX 1080.

Message 6 of 94 (18,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Please add a DxDiag in here as well so that they can get as much information as possible and hopefully work out a fix asap.

@siradesz I believe that all we can do for now is wait.

Message 7 of 94 (18,521 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@valient26 Yeah, I got to finish the first two tutorial missions without a single hitch, I'm guessing that these play out in "enclosed" areas of the game so it wouldn't be as heavy as the actual huge world they've built.
But as soon as I started the first actual mission, this started happening and it keeps happening no matter what I do.
Message 8 of 94 (18,516 Views)

CPU utilization, lost frames, and input errors.

★★★ Newbie

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 1080 Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Ranger
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Mission
What was your Expedition team makeup? Mix of the above
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Three issues. Two all the time. Third, first mission, the last two firefights.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 16.02.19 20:15 EST
Summarize your bug CPU usage 100%. Image "hiccup"/stutter/hang/freeze without a corresponding dip in fps. Mouse input dies and movement is stuck in the direction currently going for 2-3 seconds repeatedly.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure. Reports of similar appear to be all Intel CPUs across a wide product range, all i5 or i7. Some users reported input errors were removed with a controller.
What happens when the bug occurs? Choppy gameplay and difficulty in firefights.
What should be happening instead? Smooth, buttery goodness.

Enjoy the gameplay. Will purchase when issues are smoothed out.

i5 3570k, overclocked to 4.2Ghz. No additional voltage added. Ram DDR3 1866. Game installed on SSD. Gsync monitor, 2560x1440. Frame overlay shows no fps drop during lost frames.

Message 9 of 94 (16,274 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hey, i'll attach here my DX Diag, Hope that will help devs !. 

I have to wait now ... 

Message 10 of 94 (18,491 Views)