Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Anthem screen freezes (but game still seems to be running)

by Mr_Fob

Original Post

Highlighted

Anthem screen freezes (but game still seems to be running)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RTX2070 Driver version: 41917
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Mission
What was the name of the Mission / Contract / Stronghold you were on? Story mission: Inverse Function But was reproducible in Freeplay
What was your chosen difficulty level? Normal
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Interceptor
What was your Expedition team makeup? Friends
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. In the world or in a cave, both happened
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 2/24/1029 arounf 15:09 EST
Summarize your bug The screen freezes but the game itself seems to still run (I can hear sound, though slowed down). It seems I can still get a reaction from button presses but with delays and slowed. Alt-tabbing works and opening the start menu works but the last frame of the game will always remain frozen on the screen (can't switch to other windows). I can end Anthem by right clocking on the star menu and select "close window" but the image will persist even when Anthem is shut down. I only have access to the ctrl+alt+del menu and have to sign out of my windows account to get my screen back. This happens about 3-5 minutes after starting a mission/freeplay reliably every time. Also, since this is not an option above, I was solo on the mission.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Seems to be a system or driver specific thing. By the way, this bug first happened when I was still running the last version of the NVidia drivers. I only updated to see if that helps but it has not.
What happens when the bug occurs? the screen freezes but audio keeps playing and control still respond somewhat. (though slowly, stuttery)
What should be happening instead? The game should keep running.

I was running Anthem fine for almost 30 hours before this started to come up suddenly:

The screen freezes but the game itself seems to still run (I can hear sound, though slowed down).
It seems I can still get a reaction from button presses but with delays and slowed. Alt-tabbing works and opening the start menu works but the last frame of the game will always remain frozen on the screen (can't switch to other windows). I can end Anthem by right clocking on the star menu and select "close window" but the image will persist even when Anthem is shut down. I only have access to the ctrl+alt+del menu and have to sign out of my windows account to get my screen back.
This happens about 3-5 minutes after starting a mission/freeplay reliably every time.
Also, since this is not an option above, I was solo on the mission.

Seems to be a system or driver specific thing. By the way, this bug first happened when I was still running the last version of the NVidia drivers. I only updated to see if that helps but it has not.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized that this should have probably gone to the technical issues section. Please feel free to move.

Message 1 of 5 (335 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Anthem screen freezes (but game still seems to be running)

★★ Novice

Here is an update on this situation, for reference but also to ask questions:

Turns out, the screen freezes were a hardware issue with my graphics card at the very end at least. I sent it to Zotac, they determined the card was damaged and sent me a replacement, which runs other games fine again.

However, when I started up Anthem with the new card, after about 15 minutes I got another crash and also a BSoD with a Clock Watchdog Timeout, something I had not seen before on this system.

I am actually hesitant to start up Anthem now because something is clearly wrong specifically with this game. My two questions are:

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of issues with Anthem?

Is there a possibility (however remote) that running Anthem could have caused the damage to my previous graphics card? (I'd hate to mess up this one and send it back to Zotac yet again.

Thanks!)

Message 2 of 5 (226 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Hi Mr_Fob

I've had this bug (infinite loadscreen or Freeze after a few seconds on expedition - Can be triggered by firering a weapon) since a few hours of playing the 1.0.3 patch. No issues up untill then, apart from the common ones.

I run all other games (DIV2, BF5, Assetto Corsa) flawlessly, so i tend to blame it on the game. I've tried various driver updates and uninstall/reinstalls, to no avail.

I've found that I was able to start a new Pilot, and play up until lvl 5-6, before the * hits the fan.

As it happens around the time where you unlock the Forge, I think it is somehow linked to the items/weapons you have on your account.

Let me know if you can replicate this problem, as I don't think it's the GFX-card.

BR. Sven 

Message 3 of 5 (219 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice
Product: Anthem
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Stronghold
What was the name of the Mission / Contract / Stronghold you were on? Heart of Rage
What was your chosen difficulty level? Grandmaster 2
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Interceptor
What was your Expedition team makeup? Mix of the above
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Screen went white, audio got loud and screeching, then I clipped through the floor.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 28/03/2019
Summarize your bug My screen went white, audio got loud and distorted and then I fell through the ground and kept clipping through the game.
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Don't know
What happens when the bug occurs? I lose control and my respawn does the same thing.
What should be happening instead? Game continues
Message 4 of 5 (201 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice
So, just one last update on this because I think I figured it out (knocking on wood). My particular issue was apparently tied to the Intel Turbo Boost function of my CPU. Apparently, my MB (Gigabyte z97x UD5H) would send insane amounts of voltage into the CPU in Turbo Boost mode (despite the settings in BIOS being ok). Since Anthem seems to activate that a lot in this CPU (i7 4790k), it got very hot and unstable (even ith good cooling). Deactivating the Turbo Boost functionality in the BIOS altogether seems to solve the issue. The CPU now sits at around 60-65 deg C when playing and I didn't have any crashes since in 2 days of fairly extensive playing. Also, I didn't see any framerate/performance drops from deactivating the Turbo Boost so I am quite happy with this.

If you experience stability issues with an Intel CPU (particularly an older model), maybe try deactivating the Turbo Boost function in the BIOS, it's usually found in the advanced CPU clock settings.
Message 5 of 5 (161 Views)
Twitter Stream