Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Anthem hangs at black screen when I exit the game, or alt tab.

by Foxbat40

Original Post

Re: Anthem hangs at black screen when I exit the game, or alt tab.

★★★★ Novice

They keep saying there is a big patch coming on March 12th.  Coincidentally that is also the day The Division 2 releases for anyone that preordered the Gold edition or above.  :P

Message 31 of 51 (281 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I’ve also had this since the day one patch. Until today, now it seems to close fine. I did have a windows update install the previous day (just before I turned the PC off), not sure if that did something. But that is the only thing that has changed (I’m using Windows 10)
Message 32 of 51 (266 Views)

★★★★ Novice

There was an update to Origin as well. I have not had this happen again the last 5 times I exited the game but I also have not played as long each time as I was before. 

Message 33 of 51 (262 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had not had this bug since Tuesday this week the game has closed fine every time until today when I played a couple Legendary Contracts in a row, on the second one I got the sound bug where all my sound disappeared in the middle of the contract then after we finished it I exited game to get my sound to work again and at that point the game gave me the black screen and didn't close all the way.  I had to end task.  

Message 34 of 51 (215 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This happens to me every single time I close Anthem. EVERY single time. I have to use task manager to end the process, even if it closes properly it still hides out in my processes using upwards of 30% of my CPU and it's not even running.

Message 35 of 51 (182 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Just got this today, March 10, 2019, PC WIN10, GTX980 Ti, as of patch 1.0.3.00.

Message 36 of 51 (172 Views)

★ Guide

I have been testing my original theory for two weeks and it is working every time.

Again its not the best solution, but it does work.

@Midknyghte wrote:

Something you all might want to try is to exit to the main menu first and then exit the game. It worked for me when I tried it, but it may not work all the time ( I will keep doing it to see if it works).

Not a perfect fix, clearly, but maybe it will get you where you need to go

Message 37 of 51 (129 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Midknyghte - sure, it works.  But so does just opening task manager and ending task on anthem.exe.  And that's actually faster than waiting through the load screens just to get back to the main menu.

Message 38 of 51 (107 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Same for me, but compared to all other bugs its super minor one...
Message 39 of 51 (105 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I get the black screen when I quit the game via the menu but once I went to make tea and when I came back the game was shut down. So it seems that it just does not shut down fast enough. If I leave it alone it always shuts down eventually, which I dont consider to be a solution, it is just a fact on my system.

Atm alt+f4 seems to be the better solution when I want to stop playing and immediately do something else.

Message 40 of 51 (102 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help