Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Anthem hangs at black screen when I exit the game, or alt tab.

by Foxbat40

Original Post

Highlighted

Anthem hangs at black screen when I exit the game, or alt tab.

★★★★ Novice

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8 GB
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. The issue occurs when exiting the game or when I alt tab. I am playing in full screen mode 1920 x 1080 120 Hz
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 19.02.19 24:00
Summarize your bug Whenever I alt tab out or if I close the game, the game will hang with a black screen. It will not go to desktop or another tab. Game hangs every time I exit. After a minute I have to use task manager to kill the thread for Anthem. Origin also hangs and has to be ended. PC will not function correctly until other threads like Origin web helper are ended. This is annoying any time I want to alt tab or exit the game.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use Windows 7 and exit the game using the menu from full screen mode. Game should turn to black screen and never close properly.
What happens when the bug occurs? The screen turns black and never goes to desktop.
What should be happening instead? The game should minimize or close properly on windows 7.

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number NVIDIA GTX 980 TI
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8 GB
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. The issue occurs when exiting the game or when I alt tab. I am playing in full screen mode 1920 x 1080 120 Hz
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 19.02.19 24:00
Summarize your bug Whenever I alt tab out or if I close the game, the game will hang with a black screen. It will not go to desktop or another tab. Game hangs every time I exit. After a minute I have to use task manager to kill the thread for Anthem. Origin also hangs and has to be ended. PC will not function correctly until other threads like Origin web helper are ended. This is annoying any time I want to alt tab or exit the game.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use Windows 7 and exit the game using the menu from full screen mode. Game should turn to black screen and never close properly.
What happens when the bug occurs? The screen turns black and never goes to desktop.
What should be happening instead? The game should minimize or close properly on windows 7.

Message 1 of 51 (2,636 Views)

Re: Anthem hangs at black screen when I exit the game, or alt tab.

★★★ Guide

Can we get some help about it or should we Alt+F4 all the time? Thank you

Message 2 of 51 (2,437 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

For me, this did not start until after the Day 1 patch.

Message 3 of 51 (2,427 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here, it didn't start until after Day 1 patch but now when I exit the game it will just give a black screen and never fully close.  It will drop in RAM use from 5 or 6 gigs to around 2 something and never shut down unless I end task.  In the past it used to give a black screen for like 2-4 seconds then close now it doesn't close.  I notice if you start the game up and close it after only a few minutes it works fine so it seems to be after playing for a while.  

I thought it might be a problem with AMD video card drivers but then I got a new 2080Ti today to upgrade from my RX Vega 64 and it still does the same thing. So it must be related to something else.  

Message 4 of 51 (2,253 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same thing is happening to me on every exit after the last patch. On exit, it goes to black screen, and I have to Alt-F4 to remove it. But here is the problem. It doesn't kill the process, and when I go into Process Explorer I can see it is still taking up memory and running about 20% of my CPU. It was labeled as a Job process (brown background). So I have to kill it in there before restarting. Origin doesn't hang in my case, and is working fine. I also don't have Origin Web helper enabled, but I do have Origin In-Game logging on.

Message 5 of 51 (2,210 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I noticed this happening after Patch #2.   When I exit Anthem, it just sits on a black screen and SOMETIMES will close out but its not immediate.  Also, ALT-F4 closes it but not the process. Origin still thinks its still in memory so I can not re-launch the game via Origin.

My hardware difference from OP is that I have a RTX 2080 TI and have 16GB RAM.

Message 6 of 51 (2,176 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same for me black screen, have to kill it in task manger, then there a 50/50 it curupts and then have to patch again

Message 7 of 51 (2,031 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I just came here to make my own post, lol. Yeah, after a lengthy Anthem session the game won't shut down fast. It will shut down eventually but that can take up to 5 minutes +.

Message 8 of 51 (2,027 Views)

★★★★ Novice

never had this before the last patch, now its here every time i close the game...

Message 9 of 51 (2,013 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
It happens also to me on PC, but just sometimes. When I choose to exit the game it hangs on black screen.
Other times it just hangs the game itself (showing the last images I was seeing) and I have to alt+tab and kill the process in task manager to restart it...
Message 10 of 51 (2,001 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help