Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number 1080Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
Please select your region Australia
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Mission
What was the name of the Mission / Contract / Stronghold you were on? Legendary contract (don't recall name). Happens on any mission.
What was your chosen difficulty level? Grandmaster 3
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Colossus
What was your Expedition team makeup? Random Freelancers
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Happens in any location in game during active play.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 7.10.19 17:07 GMT +10
Summarize your bug This bug occurs in any mission type with or without team mates at any time of day. Highlights 2 issues: 1. Game Crash to Desktop 2. rejoining groups is buggy and often fails or requires a reset as it crashes the game too - either the blue screen when loading then drop to desktop or the game hangs at 5% when trying to resume in the group. Hardware: Asus Maximus 10 / i7 8700k / 32GB RAM / 1080Ti Software: Windows 10 x64 Home (updated), Audio, GPU drivers are latest WHQL releases and mainboard drivers up to date. AV is Bitdefender but it shows no indicators of interfering on any ports etc. On crash, mouse stutters for a few seconds and then desktop behaviour normal. Origin sometimes closes itself and in task manager no Origin or Anthem processes are visible. However, Origin will not run properly if opened again and game will not load. Just drops to desktop. A reboot is required to correct this. Alternatively, in a group if this occurs it may load to screen for re-join but just sits at 5% load and requires Alt-Tab and then kill processes to close.
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game on PC to replicate crash to desktop. try to re-connect to a squad or load game to replicate the 2nd bug. This bug occurs in any game session now after indeterminate play time. Does not seem linked to alt-tabbing out of game or other apps running. My record of this is the same as others in Discord having the same experience. Try reading the thread in Tech issues with over 220 replies https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/PC-Anthem-Game-Keeps-Crashing-and-going-to-desktop/td-p/7...
What happens when the bug occurs? Crash to desktop Game will not load corerctly - immediate drop to desktop +/- Origin will not load (even if processes are killed off manually). Game loads and then hangs on loading in at 5%. Most often requires a reboot of PC to rejoin a group or restart the game.
What should be happening instead? The game should not be crashing to desktop.

DXdiag attached

Message 1 of 12 (1,072 Views)

Re: Anthem PC Crash to Desktop and Crash on Re-log

★★★★★ Apprentice

Great to see such active Community support from EA... Is there an established response time one can expect?

Message 2 of 12 (1,003 Views)

★ Pro
@Quasinerdo Have you tried cleaning and defragmenting your hard drive?
Message 3 of 12 (985 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Will that initiate a response from EA? :P.

Game and OS are on an SSD. Disk cleanup has been done for space but that's incidental.

I have tried new and old audio and GPU drivers to see if either is making trouble. Aside from reintroducing the sound drop-outs with the newest Asus audio driver I'm not having any success troubleshooting this further.

These 2 issues require Developer input.

Message 4 of 12 (969 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@QuasinerdoHow much space do you have left in your SSD? What video card do you have? Do you have any other applications running hogging system resources? Although I seldom play Anthem on PC, I have it running on an Asus ROG Strix laptop with 16 GB of RAM, a strong enough nVidia video card and a 500 GB SSD. The game stuttered a bit until I freed up space in the SSD by uninstalling games I no longer played.

Message 5 of 12 (948 Views)

★ Pro
@Quasinerdo Regarding the video card... I experienced something similar to your situation but with Forza Motorsports 6: Apex on my desktop PC. The game crashed after launch taking me back to the desktop even though the video card was above the minimum requirements for that game. I never heard from Forza tech support. The game finally worked when I installed a more powerful video card.
Message 6 of 12 (945 Views)

★ Pro
@Quasinerdo Regarding SSD available space... I was not able to install Anthem on my desktop PC after the latest updates of both Origin and Anthem. I had installed and played Anthem before the updates. That SSD is only 128 GB.
Message 7 of 12 (942 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@daemontonio That sounds frustrating. I guess the additional size of the game made it a problem :/.

I've had to move games off before that get too large. Some don't play differently while others become terrible with load times. 

I'm finding the disconnects are getting worse. Also - and I suspect due to this issue and boredom/frustration, player base is lower again and I've not had as many groups to test for reloading into missions.

Message 8 of 12 (905 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have a bunch of crash logs ( C:\Users\[USER ID]\Documents\BioWare\Anthem\CrashDumps if anybody wants to look at them.  I having the same problem on two PCs and one is WELL above the min spec, the other should be able to play it and does work at the fort for the most part but crashes randomly once I leave it.  Also have less frequent crashes at the fort.

Message 9 of 12 (840 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for adding your input. I am finding the crashes vary in frequency with time of day. Do you share that as well or have them consistently?

I have a thread regarding that I started as well as the routing looks very poor.

Message 10 of 12 (815 Views)