★★★ Apprentice

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia 1050ti 4GB RAM
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32GB
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. On game startup, just the first time that I've played since the computer was last asleep
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) everyday for the past few days so i think since about 2/18-19/2019 (I dont know the hours its happened multiple times)
Summarize your bug When I start up the game I get to the opening page where you hit [space] to continue and then it freezes and puts up a DirectX Error (I will attach it to the case) It sometimes starts the loading screen before crashing but usually after I hit space it crashes But then once I click ok on the error output and it closes the game, I start it up again and it runs perfectly fine after that
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know if the issue is some incompatibility with my system or if I need to download a newer version of Direct X. The weird part is that it only happens the first time I play each day (so after the computer is asleep) but after the first fail it works fine till the next day
What happens when the bug occurs? Game goes black and an error window pops up (screenshot attached)
What should be happening instead? Just load the game normally

If anyone has any pointers they would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

AltaRoma

Message 1 of 15 (6,211 Views)

Re: Anthem DirectX Function Error Crash

★ Novice
Good luck getting a response. EA has no response for this crash. Absolutely frustrating. We pay an absurd amount of money and they cant even aide in making a proper installer. * you EA.
Message 2 of 15 (6,118 Views)

★ Novice

I have this issue as well. Mostly happens at midgame. I wish they would address this immediately cause the game isn't cheap

Message 3 of 15 (6,051 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yup same thing happening to me. Load the 2nd time and it loads in.  I also put my machine to sleep but the issue also occurs on a fresh boot of my computer.

I have fully updated Drivers and DirectX.

The game also just closes to desktop randomly as well.

Did some looking around and make sure your page file isn't capped to something low.  Might help someone....

Message 4 of 15 (5,639 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've also got a DirectX error and my game crashes randomly. However, the error I get is different (see attached). Tried all possible troubleshooting I found online.. nothing worked.

This error suggests that my GPU is not installed properly but according to the dxdiag, no problems are found. I've tried re-fitting my GPU and I still get this error. I've also done some display bench marking; everything shows up normal there. My friend told me that it could be the PSU  not giving enough juice to the the GPU but I've got a 600W PSU so that's plenty! And I'm not even running two monitors! Another thing to add is that my other games (Ark, Battlefield1) work just fine.

I think it's a software (Anthem) issue

Message 5 of 15 (5,623 Views)

★★★ Novice

The game was running fine for my first 67 hours of playing. Then after the last patch at the beginning of March, things changed and I haven't been able to stay in game since that patch.

- I get the black screen. Sometimes I have to cold reboot

- Screen freeze with loud buzzing. Forcing me to cold reboot

- The DirectX error after the game shuts down and the note is on the desktop explaining the disconnected card, and some long explanation.

- The game will crash soon after starting, or sometimes while loading.

- I tried the repairing feature in Origin.

- I clean out drivers the proper way with DDU software and reinstall them

- Cleaned out drivers and rolled back to previous drivers

- Clean Booted my system. That is nothing but Microsoft software on start up

- Shut off Dual Intelligent Processors 5 software.

- Spoke with EA technical support about it and we troubleshooted it by disabling Origin In game option in Origin. By the end he let me know that they are aware of this issue and they are working on a solution.

My system

i7 5820k overclocked

16GB DDR4 

Geforce GTX Titan X Maxwell

and the game is running on an NVME M.2 ( I'd like to know if anyone else is using this kind of storage too, as I think it would help if we can find something in common as to what might be causing our systems to fail. I'm under the impression not every PC gamer is experiencing this so we really ought to compare our tech )

I never tried reinstalling DX11, but from the looks of things that will fail. So I might. 

It so happens that I have a Sapphire RX 580 8GB GPU kicking around, so later on I'll install it and let it rip. For reference I will return to this thread with the result "IF" it's successful within 24 hours from this post, and I'll direct EA's attention to this thread. Who knows, maybe we'll end up asking nVidia to solve it since this is most likely a driver issue.

Message 6 of 15 (5,546 Views)

★★ Novice

This started happening to me as well since the last patch was installed. DirectX error hasn't been popping up. Just black screen. I mean I can still hear the game going but after a while it will just freeze and start making the buzzing sound you're describing.. I also have to do a cold restart to get out of it..

Message 7 of 15 (5,528 Views)

★★★ Novice

In regards to the Direct X issue. I have a nice present.

Okay so I found a solution and I was playing for the past 4 hours stable.

This

If the video never linked right. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWAVe1km_g

For the record in the comments one guy mentioned how this issue seems to only happen with games that are running on the frostbite engine.

Hear my experience first. It's important to note.....

- Okay so I did the above. Then rebooted.

- I ran the game.

- As usual it would work for awhile. Then when loading into freeplay, it froze.

- I restarted the game, and I was back.

- I noticed the graphics weren't up to par so I checked Anthem's video settings.... Interestingly enough, everything was set to low

Why was it set to low ? Interesting. So at the very top I changed the quick option from "Custom" to "Ultra" settings.... Anthem then had a message saying how I'll need to restart for the settings to take effect.

So I logged back in.... And I played it for 4 hours, not 1 issue.

So guys, when you do the direct x fix as shown in the video above.... Be sure to check your game settings and put it back to how you left it before, because it's strange for it to have changed and for all we know that could have been a part of the bug. Maybe there's some relations with settings and direct x and they were off or something. If it freezes, that could be the last time.

I will notify the EA representative I spoke with yesterday and report this to him. Maybe EA already knows.

Maybe they don't. Some of us never got to play for days.

Feel free to hit me up in game. I'm Rahhom.

Message 8 of 15 (5,516 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey Rahhom, this is one the first things I tried. Still get the DirectX error...Glad it worked out for you though haha

Message 9 of 15 (5,427 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had a total of 23 hours extra play time. After the Origin update today, Anthem then worked for a few minutes. I don't know if that was a coincidence 

Now it will just crash my system at the loading screen when starting an expedition.

I don't understand why this isn't happening to everyone on PC, which is disturbing cause it probably gives them less incentive to get to this issue.

I clocked the CPU to 3.5 Ghz after reading how Frostbite is usually specific with what clock speed it has to work with, but I doubt it.

No idea now.

Message 10 of 15 (5,365 Views)