Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

After the latest update 23.04 Anthem crashing my PC and force it to hard reset.

by Loco_Nobody

Original Post

Re: After the latest update 23.04 Anthem crashing my PC and force it to hard res

★★★★★ Novice

@Loco_Nobody wrote:
I am starting to narrowing things by now. The access violation exception (0xC0000005) report i am getting from the Anthem's crash dump file seems to be the suspect. I have experimented with that a little and i have also installed the Nvidia hotfix patch and yesterday i managed to complete a 2 hours session without problem. I will make further tests today. Too bad i have to spend my Easter days off trying to fix this. Today is the last day of the public holidays in Greece so tommorow am getting back to work and i will not have enough time to commit until weekend. I will report further.

I have had the exact same issue.

I have the latest nVidia driver. What hot-fix are you referring to? Standard smile

I am also a computer systems engineer and my PC is rock solid in all other applications or games. Anthem is the only one that causes Hard Resets. It's not a system fault as the bios is not kicking up a fault on reboot. All hardware running comfortably within tested capability and I have tested different GPU drivers. Also Audio and others are up to date.

Monitoring system usage PSU is only at 50% load and CPU is only 40-60% load per core at most during play. GPU is under high load and sits at 37 deg C (Full custom loop).

I have other usage scenarios driving this system far harder and they never miss a beat.

I suspect it's an allocation error of some description - either to main memory or the GPU. Not a memory leak as it's not time related. It can occur immediately on entering and 30 sec into a mission or 2 hours into a session.

I am not associating this / confusing this with the other crashes occurring - can't find pilot data, server is shut down, connection to server lost etc that also happen frequently.  

Message 21 of 35 (303 Views)

Re: After the latest update 23.04 Anthem crashing my PC and force it to hard res

★★★★ Novice

@Quasinerdo The hot fix for nvidia drivers

https://answers.ea.com/t5/PC-Community/Nvidia-driver-hotfix-version-430-53-4-29-2019/m-p/7835366

Version 430.53

Though didnt help for me, problem still occurs in free play mode and only att World Event when you have to interact with objectives like fragments/ shot things up / kill Targeted enemies

Message 22 of 35 (292 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Update. After the access violation exception (0xC0000005) fix i did and the Nvidia hotfix patch i installed, i had an another 2 hours session without problem. It seems that one of the two fixes did the trick. I will test further more tonight .
Message 23 of 35 (277 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Loco_Nobody What did you do for the violation Exception problem ?
Message 24 of 35 (269 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Unfortunately the hard resets had returned. The two sessions without problem were clearly coincidentals. Nothing worked ,neither the access violation exception (0xC0000005) fix, nor the nvidia's hotfix. When the game crashing it produces new faults. I am giving up, rest in peace Anthem. Maybe i wiil try it again if in the future updates they include a fix for this (i doubt about that). The game now is broken at it's core. No matter what they will try to fix , new problems will occur instantly. It is like the Hercules and the Lernaean Hydra myth. It is embarrassing for a company as Bioware to leave players trying to fix their bugs by themselves.
Message 25 of 35 (264 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Loco_Nobody

I solved my problem now...

Its an security error ( thats why we get an violation error 0xC00000005 )

Dont know if this is your problem but my game was installed in "C:\games\Anthem" That didnt have the full control of " all users" Only computer/users

So adding the " All users" full control made the game work again without any crash ( so if your game is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games Make sure you got the full rights on " All users" on the directory " Origin Games" in C:\Program Files (x86)\

I hope this works for you ( see picture)

Message 26 of 35 (249 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Thank you very much for your time but in my case the folder was already at full control. My registry hack  for violation error 0xC00000005 did't do the trick

Message 27 of 35 (242 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have "everyone" listed for access already.

I use Bitdefender for virus checking so I'll double check it's not interfering but the random nature makes that unlikely.

The resets eventually crashed my PC and I was getting errors on restart so I had to reinstall from an image (I do an image every day).

I went back to 22 Apr so I have none of the GPU driver updates or other changes to windows that may be acting up with the game.

I will see how it goes.

Message 28 of 35 (212 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I would suggest that you should stop wasting your precious free time. The bug cannot be fixed by our side. it is game specific and it is incorporeted to it's core. Eventually the hard resets will cause a permanent problem to your PC. My Rig is still in the quarrantee period so that's why i was brave enough to make experiments. i have tried the game out of curiosity on my workstation PC, Threadripper 2990WX ,2080ti, 64gb ram etc and the situation was worse. The game was crashing before even fully loading and there was a hard reset before even entering the main menu. If there was a fix, either the devellopers or the users would have figured it out by now.
Message 29 of 35 (205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I did a file check using Origin and the Anthem files were updated with additional downloads. Doesn't specify what but it may be worth doing. No crashes since but I did this after restoring my previous image (which did not overwrite any game files) so it could be the earlier driver is at play or the game files.

Message 30 of 35 (188 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help