Original Post

Accepted Solution

Absurd TW Match

★★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Android Phone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Bluestack
OS Version 13
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode )
What type of issue do you have? Gameplay
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
Summarize your bug Our Guild is matched against impossibly strong opponent.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves?
Connection Type Wifi
Please select your region Europe
Country Bulgaria

In current TW our guild - MaD StormS is matched to play against The Cantina Disband.

Mad Storms.png

Cantina Disband.png

As you see the opponent has 150% more than our average GP, 400 places ahead on Squad arena and here is comparison of key toons that each guild has.

Note that this extract is from the 27 registered profiles for our opponent. The numbers will increase when the missing 14 profiles are calculated.

MaD StormS           The Cantina Disband
C-3PO            8                                 20
CLS                32                               27
DMalak          1                                 10
DRevan         8                                 16
DTraya           4                                  27
GBAlpha        9                                  19
JKRevan       15                                 21
Padme          16                                 22
RJT                 8                                  26
ShaakTi         1                                  24
Wampa          8                                  18
HMF               10                                 15

In my view this is an impossible match, one that should never have happened.

So my question is - I know guilds are not matched based on sheer GP, but on what criteria is this a fair match?

See below how this matching translates in the result so far.

Our guild prides in having 20+ successive TW victories, and this poor match is ruining our victory streak. We feel cheated not by the opponent but by the matching system.

If there is any reasonable explanation how our guild was matched with this opponent I'd gladly hear it. Otherwise this TW should be cancelled for us and our guild should be properly compensated.

Result.png

Message 1 of 10 (776 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Absurd TW Match

★★★ Apprentice

@GladOS-013  out of respect for you I'll stop this. You seem a nice guy and your posts are mostly helpful. But you are defending a lost cause here. Maybe, perhaps, if ... A lot more helpful reply would be from someone who actually checked the stats and said for example - ratio DTraya 1:3, DRevan 4:2 and so on. From there I'd be able to see if I should only blame ourselves and not the game.

P.S.

Currently we're playing TW against much better match and the results are way more even. Such matches is what I'd expect from the game, not light category against heavy weight.

Ah and this game is not life. In life you have millions more variables than in a game ruled by mathematical algorithms.

Kind regards.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (579 Views)

All Replies

@Darklight_BG001 Due to the number of defensive teams in each zone, it looks like the opposing guild only have 29/30 players signed up. Using their average GP, that would bring their Guild GP down to 112m.

It can seem unfair, but this is not a bug, and any feedback regarding changes to the matching algorithms belong over at the official forums: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories

Hope this helps.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 10 (723 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@ChristophIV    what you say is contrary to the new matching concept. It's supposed to match guilds not simply by comparing GP but taking into account number of toons with certain gear level, zetas and what not. I don't know it all. Right after this new algorithm was introduced matching worked well for some time until this TW. I intentionally showed more stats than just GP, so no matter what number of people from the opposing guild have joined they still outmatch us by far and this was not detected by the "smart" algorithm. This doesn't only seem unfair. It is unfair.

See the below picture for proof that what I'm saying is correct  We lost and not because we didn't play. What a surprise, never saw that coming (bitter sarcasm). In this TW the algorithm didn't do what it's supposed to do and when a program doesn't work as intended that's usually called a bug. I'm not going to open more topics on the matter.  My work was to show that there is a problem. If EA/CG are interested in fixing their stuff this post should be sufficient. If they don't care eventually the players will stop caring also and move on.

Not mad at you, not your fault, but your reasoning is in line with the old way of TW matching and contrary to the new one.

Result1.png

Message 3 of 10 (717 Views)

@Darklight_BG001 The exact matching algorithms is a secret within EA, because to announce it would allow players to exploit it. EA has made several adjustments to the matching algorithm, but have never communicated a matching algorithm that does anything like what you are describing.

Keep in mind that the more restrictive an algorithm becomes, the smaller the pool of guilds becomes against which you can be matched. If your opponents only had 30 players sign up, what if they were literally the only guild in the world to sign up with 30 players with that average arena rank? Who would they play? Perhaps that's what happened, and the game had to give them an opponent, so you guys were the unlucky opponents. Bad luck happens sometimes.

In the end, not every match can be even. For Grand Arena matching, the Devs said they were targeting fewer than 5% "blowout" pairings - I don't remember seeing a target for TW matching, but it's probably similar.

MindTricks or HighCommand might take a look at the matching criteria, but literally EVERY single time a player has come here complaining like this, the algorithm has worked correctly.

If it's working correctly, then there's no bug, and this forum is not the best place for your voice to be heard. This forum is for QA support to identify bugs and pass them onto the Development team - it's not the forum for players to complain about things they don't like about the game. If you don't like how the algorithm was designed, then the feedback for that belongs on the main feedback forum:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/feedback-home

Good luck in the next match! May the odds be ever in your favor!

★★★ Apprentice

@GladOS-013  I follow your reasoning and for the most part I agree with you. Understandably not every match is even, but it should be somewhat close at least. Ever since the new matching was introduced we noticed huge improvement. Always we got similar guilds to ours. This time the matching is way off. Just look at the comparison table I put above. For every legendary hero they have twice and more our number. What do you think  of DMalak 1:10, Drevan 8:16, DTraya 4:27, GBAlpha 9:19. If their average GP is way higher than ours, if they have in some cases 10+ our toons, then what other parameter is there that could make us even? Note again that my stats don't include 14 of their profiles (not registered), so if even only 30 of them  play still the numbers won't be much different.

What bugs me is that because so far EVERY single time the algorithm has worked as intended you a priori  exclude the possibility that this time it may have not. Despite the numbers I've shown, despite the outcome of the TW, which is not won by a small margin but by clearing out all our territories, whereas we're half way through. Is it then not worth checking whether it has worked properly this time, and even if it is working within its set parameters shouldn't EA/CG strive to improve those parameters further having this feedback in mind?

We've already accepted that loss. Bad luck as you say. But TW is one of our main drivers for playing the game. If every TW from now on becomes such a farce and you say that it's all right then what's the point of playing, just to serve as punching bag for other guilds? 

I definitely see something wrong here, hopefully your colleagues will investigate this further.

Message 5 of 10 (689 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Darklight_BG001 As far as I'm aware, they haven't made any changes to the matching algorithm in months. So...one bad matchup in months is not the end of the world. My guild has had mostly close matchups the last 2 months or so, although the one before the last TB it felt like we were fighting the Avengers - we just got crushed.

Such is life, and unless we are literally the best guild in the entire world - I expect to occasionally get matched up against guilds with better rosters.

Edit - also, their guild has 41 members total, and only 29-30 signed up.  Perhaps you could go through the logs and see which players actively contributed to the war and then excluded the rosters of the 11-12 who didn't contribute, but it's possible that a lot of their Malaks, Darth Revans, etc were not in the war.  Unfortunately, unless the entire guild signs up, you can't ever truly know what their entire guild roster looks like.  

★★★ Newbie

Dear devs!

Please let us skip the join period, i mean full guild is active 50/50 players... Thats nonsense... 130million gp vs 190million gp thats fair?! Not this suks please stop this mm thats not gogood not fair and really absurd! Thank!

Message 7 of 10 (629 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So that was fair mm right? Keep it that way, and you will lose all of your players! Fair game is not this. Fair game should be didn't let biger gulids to ttravel down for the easy victory... Maybe you will ban me for this... Thats demoralizing, annoying, cheating, ang f...ing bullsh.t! Thanks cg you right!

Screenshot_2019-10-07-12-01-55-705_com.ea.game.starwarscapital_row.png
Message 8 of 10 (589 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@GladOS-013  out of respect for you I'll stop this. You seem a nice guy and your posts are mostly helpful. But you are defending a lost cause here. Maybe, perhaps, if ... A lot more helpful reply would be from someone who actually checked the stats and said for example - ratio DTraya 1:3, DRevan 4:2 and so on. From there I'd be able to see if I should only blame ourselves and not the game.

P.S.

Currently we're playing TW against much better match and the results are way more even. Such matches is what I'd expect from the game, not light category against heavy weight.

Ah and this game is not life. In life you have millions more variables than in a game ruled by mathematical algorithms.

Kind regards.

Message 9 of 10 (580 Views)

@Darklight_BG001 My "such is life" comment just meant that things aren’t always fair, but not due to anything besides random chance.

In an ideal world, every guild would have a very close even match. That might not be mathematically possible, or might be too complicated to program. Feedback for the algorithm belongs in the main forums though. Cheers!