Original Post

Re: Unable to progress in new tutorial due to grayed out selections

★★ Apprentice
@SimQARobo is there a workaround?
Message 21 of 38 (1,140 Views)

★★★★ Novice

March of 2021 here.

I've read (well, skimmed really) through these threads because I've found myself in the exact same situation.

Bought base game and Seasons off Origin.  Both installed fine.

Started game.  Started tutorial.

Chose Athletic as original Sim aspiration.

Got promoted.

No official recognition of promotion allowing me to proceed with tutorial.  Watched a YouTube video showing me what was supposed to happen, but didn't.  Did a Google search and landed here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-Unable-to-Progress-in-new-tutorial-due-to-greyed-out/td-...

That page says it's "Fixed," but it's not.  It does link to this thread though, so here I am.

Being told to complete aspirations, but can't do any of them, such as take a vacation day (no phone), go fishing for one hour (don't even know how...trying to learn, hence the tutorial), etc...

Like I said, same as what I've been reading here and elsewhere.

I bought a number of physical copies of expansions for this game that I'm stuck with (haven't redeemed the codes or anything, but it's too late to send them back), along with what little I've already installed.  Spent around $120 for a game I can't even learn how to play.  Maybe this is why I've stuck with The Sims 3 for almost 12 years now.

Is there really no fix to this?  It's apparently been known about for years and affects the tutorial for crying out loud.

Help!

Message 22 of 38 (965 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Symb10tic The tutorial is very touchy. If you complete anything before prompted it can mess the tutorial up. Yes this is terrible for new players. 

A post here has some advice (you said you skimmed) for PC users https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-TUTORIAL-Unable-to-complete-tutorial-because-of-locked/m-...

You can try what was posted there.

If that won't work you can always restart the tutorial and be careful to just follow the prompts.

Message 23 of 38 (959 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [TUTORIAL] Unable to complete tutorial because of locked actions

★★★ Guide

I am having this issue for years now, mostly with the job promotion thing. Here is a workaround that helped me out in most cases. If you go to work, don't get promoted and stay at the very 1st stage of your career until the tutorial requires you to move on! What I always do is to go to work just 1 hour before end of work (i.e. go to work at 16:00 when it is supposed to end at 17:00) and in this way, I can stay at the very 1st career stage for several days. Your boss will eventually call you on the phone but just ignore him!

Message 24 of 38 (927 Views)

★ Novice

I'm a completely new player to The Sims here and I must say it's a bad first impression

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Dutch
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Newly installed through Steam April 11 in 2021
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? none, only Sims 4
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves?

Start a new game with tutorial mode, get to part after you get your first promotion when it says "You now have Free Play time until you complete all of your Sim's Aspiration goals. Check your progress in the Aspirations panel. And remember to take care of their needs, but most importantly...have fun!"
What happens when the bug occurs? I am trying to complete the aspirations but the tutorial will not allow it. The phone icon is greyed out and when I hover over it it says "Disabled by tutorial". Without it I can't take a vacation day or travel to a community venue which I need to do for the aspiration. And when I try to go fishing by clicking on the fishing post the option is also greyed out and hovering over it all it says it "Disabled by tutorial". I can't do anything to complete my aspirations and progress now.
What do you expect to see? Being able to complete my aspirations by taking a vacation day, travelling to a community lot, and fishing for 1 hour. Am I supposed to do something else? 

Tested on both Athlete and Painter career paths
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? No
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No, upon first play
Please describe the patch or change you made. Newly installed 11/04/2021.

Message 25 of 38 (800 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Eolyxia I just played through the tutorial not that long ago, so I know where you are stuck. The time between when they say "free play time until you complete all of your aspiration goals" is misleading. You will get another prompt in a sim day or two (after you get promoted probably in your career) by the tutorial to take a vacation day, it is then the tutorial will advance and tell you the next steps, which you can then complete. You can't actually complete the aspiration until prompted by the tutorial.

Message 26 of 38 (780 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have the same problem. I have the base game, no mods, no expansions. Stuck in the tutorial because I cannot take holidays, go to a community venue and fishing.

@PoptartJuniper My character has been promoted twice and I still cannot advance the next steps. The tutorial doesn't prompt anything else, besides "You now have Free Play time until you complete all of your Sim's Aspiration goals. Check your progress in the Aspirations panel. And remember to take care of their needs, but most importantly...have fun!"
Message 27 of 38 (748 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@JesusJF My character had not been promoted at all. The tutorial does break if you advance too much before being prompted by the tutorial. That's probably the difference.

You can end the tutorial in the options menu at any time. I've posted before, the tutorial being broken is terrible for new players. You can finish your tutorial aspiration after ending the tutorial and get your sim the bonus trait as long as you don't change the aspiration until it's complete.
Message 28 of 38 (746 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@Eolyxia @JesusJF There really isn't any way to make the tutorial progress if you've already completed the third milestone, so you should probably just end the tutorial. Go to the Options Menu, click on Game Options, then Tutorial & Tips. I'm sure you'll see the button for ending the tutorial.

It's unfortunate that you ran into this but it's not your fault. It's just poor design. Move on and enjoy the game.

Message 29 of 38 (723 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Sketch793 I think the issue most people have with ending the tutorial prematurely without completing the aspiration is, that you miss out on the reward trait Over-Achiever. There are still many Simmers who are playing for years and say that they've never seen or even heard of this trait.

Message 30 of 38 (691 Views)