Original Post

Accepted Solution

[ARCHIVED] [TUTORIAL] Adding Sim to household not working

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.75.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go through the tutorial and select create another sim in the household
What happens when the bug occurs? After tutorial everything resets on the sim and all tutorial gifts are lost. It even gives you the previous tutorial aspiration back. Can no longer use the go home button to go home and cannot get invited out. Or at least my sim didn't get invited out. I even moved my sim to another lot, deleted fences and nothing fixed the issue going to start a new game without the Tutorial and see if it is any different.
What do you expect to see? For the game to work as intended please. Standard smile
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 22 (4,304 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't "Get Mail" and never receive bills

Hero

Going to archive this thread as the tutorial has been removed for now as per this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/By-Design-Tutorial-not-available-No-option-to-...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 22 of 22 (1,968 Views)

All Replies

Re: After Tutorial can't go home with/ button & no invites out.

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I selected load and it wouldn't let me post so you get it twice, sorry bout that.  Still the Tutorial was neat.

Message 2 of 22 (4,208 Views)

Hero

Hi @Rabbitzan12 

I've not played the tutorial so I'm not really sure how it works. Do you mean it resets to the beginning of the tutorial ?

Let us know how a new game works.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 22 (4,185 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Having played the tutorial through a few times I decided to jump in to play it as a test.

A lot of actions are blocked by the tutorial (by design) and everything was going as expected with the voice overs etc on the first day.

There should have been a verbal prompt telling me my Sim was getting tired and needed to go to bed.

That is one of the stages of the tutorial aspiration. Luckily my Sim autonomously went to bed. 

One of the things locked by the tutorial is being ably to click on the aspiration and see what my Sim needs to do next.

I can hover over it but not click on the aspiration to see the goals.

Still testing but I am seeing things that may have been broken.

Edit: Sim has been to work (autonomously) four days in a row. No new actions are unlocked as they should be at this point.

Can only use toilet, wash hands, clean up dishes watch TV and chat /get to know/ roommate.

Can NOT use commands to take shower, got to sleep/nap, or prepare meals.

Can NOT use commands to complete daily task ie: prepare food or drinks.
The expected voice over tutorial just stopped and is required to unlock actions to complete the tutorial.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 4 of 22 (4,170 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I played a tutorial through from the beginning to test this error, as I have never chosen the "add a sim to this household" option at the end before. I can say that this bug did exist for me. At the end of the tutorial, if you choose to add a new sim to the household, the game will revert to the last save of the tutorial instead of the completion point. The game doesn't properly auto-save when you complete the tutorial. If you are not manually saving, it is possible to get thrown back to a corrupted point where the sim coming from CAS has advanced, but the tutorial is now stuck in an earlier step but without the audio and text prompts.

In the spoiler tag is the explanation of what happens. TLDR - if you pause and save the game at the point it is telling you "that's it, you're done", then it will work correctly. If you don't, when you get back from CAS it will throw back to the last auto-save which may also be corrupted and need cache clearing and repairing.

Spoiler

To complete the tutorial, you have to follow through the steps it gives you and eventually complete the tutorial aspiration for the career you chose. In this instance, I chose the Athlete aspiration. All of them have the same steps, they just trigger unlocks for items for that particular career (athlete, cook, painter, trend-setter).

Once I completed the aspiration tasks (various household things, get a promotion, travel to the park, meet some new sims and do some fishing) I had completed the tutorial.

It first asks you to choose a new aspiration, and gives you a screen with 4 choices -

Fabulously Wealthy, Soulmate, Architect and Devious. I chose Soulmate.

Next it says that Alex (the tutorial roommate) is moving out to go help other new players "Bye Alex!" (in tutorial audio). Alex exits the house and disappears. Then it introduces Build Mode, Gallery, and the Help Lessons.

Then another big screen to finish out the tutorial - "What do you want to do now?" - with 3 choices:

Add a New Sim to this Household (adding a second sim to this household will make a richer experience); Continue Playing (the tutorial is over but you can continue playing this household); Start a New Game (Start Fresh with New Sims, a New Home and a New Story).  I chose to add a new sim.

Choosing to add a new sim immediately loaded CAS. In CAS, Alex, the tutorial roommate that left, was a member of the household along with my sim who was active in the editor. If I had just gone through the tutorial, I would have had a hard time figuring out how to add anyone to this household, and might have thought this was my "new sim". But I decided I would do what I was supposed to do, to test the expected workflow so clicked on the button to add another sim and did so.

Once I had added the sim, I did not do anything with Alex, because I thought maybe she was queued to leave anyway AND the tutorial said to add a sim. When I accepted the sim and went back to the household, Alex was there and part of the household with my other 2 sims. My original sim (Tim Tester) was reset back to 2/4 on the tutorial aspiration, the morning before he went to work and got the promotion, the last saved point. But nothing was locked like in the tutorial, and there was no audio or tutorial running.

It's important to note that I originally finished the aspiration after returning home - it prompted me to go home before I had met 3 new people or fished for an hour, so I quick introduced my sim to a few people and then "went home". There's a fishing spot right outside the house. Maybe @Rabbitzan12 completed the tutorial at the park, and that's why the sim couldn't go home or travel? Not sure, but I tried it again by completing at the park, but it did not exhibit those symptoms for me. I think there was probably more than one issue going on there.

I replayed the same game from the place where it kept throwing me back. When I paused and saved the game right after the help lesson, I was able to enter CAS without having Alex reappear in the household. Adding a new sim worked, and when I was returned to the household Tim Tester had a retraiting potion in his inventory, as well as all his gifts, he had the Over-Achiever trait from completing the tutorial aspiration, and his current aspiration was the soulmate one that I had chosen.

I want to add a note here to say that, just like @EuphorialQueen , I again had the issue of the tutorial getting stuck and not progressing - this time it took 3 times of me clearing cache and repairing the game to get through the tutorial. I will add my new notes to the bug report for that issue.

Message 5 of 22 (4,150 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Adding experiences in addition to my previous report.

The voice over and tutorial stopped again and I could not progress thru the tutorial.

I had saved and quit and was able to go into an earlier version of the save near the beginning.

I had saved at the point where the roommate (Alex) had given my Sim the gifts of seed packet, MySim statue and Charisma book. 

All was going well but near the end of Stage 2 of the aspiration the tutorial stopped again.
The "You now have Free Play time..." message stayed in the screen:

Tutorial stuck

Stage two of the aspiration was completed but all of the required actions for stage three were not yet unlocked.
Actions locked by tutorial.jpg

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
Message 6 of 22 (4,147 Views)

Hero
@EuphorialQueen That sounds like this part: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Unable-to-Progress-in-new-tutorial-due-to-greyed-out/td-p...

There are a few issues with this tutorial

Guess this one will go on the list as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 22 (4,134 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@crinrict wrote:
@EuphorialQueenThat sounds like this part: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Unable-to-Progress-in-new-tutorial-due-to-greyed-out/td-p...

There are a few issues with this tutorial

Guess this one will go on the list as well.

Yes there are options that are greyed out as described in that thread. The tutorial blocks a lot of actions/interactions by design.

Observation and comments by @BlackjackWidow are spot on to what I am also seeing.

My Sim was autonomously doing a lot of the actions required to complete the aspiration goals.

Basically it appears that the tutorial is out of sync causing it to freeze. When that happens the options required for stage three do not unlock as intended.

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 8 of 22 (4,121 Views)

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 22 (4,081 Views)
Highlighted

Can't "Get Mail" and never receive bills

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons Cats & Dogs Parenthood My First Pet Stuff Cool Kitchen Stuff Kids Room Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start a household from the sim created in the tutorial and play as normal
What happens when the bug occurs? The mail person will deliver mail and there is a notification that there is mail, however "Get Mail" for the mailbox is always greyed out. Also, the household has never received a bill and has no interactions for paying bills on the smartphone or computer.
What do you expect to see? Can "Get Mail" after mail has been delivered. Household has bills due that can be paid.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I've only played TS4 for 60 hours and so far I've just stuck with the household I created after going through the tutorial (so I just have 1 game saved). However this sim has travelled to other lots/worlds, got married & adopted pets, so there have been a few additions to the household. I have searched for more info on this bug & here is what I've tried:

- Selling mailbox and buying a new one

- households.force_bills_due (and inadvertently had sims move in & other workarounds to Bills can't be paid bug)

- Searched for bills in everyone's inventory

I see there may be other players unable to get mail but it hasn't been reported in a long time.

Message 10 of 22 (4,217 Views)