Relationship messed up after update

by Mielosh

Original Post

Teen relationships lost when aged up to young adult

★★★ Newbie

So this issue has happened both in my game and in a friend's, basically we both had teen sims in relationships, and they were promised to each other with maximum friendship and romance. However, once they became young adults, the romantic options were still available, except propose had disappeared and 'ask if single' was available. When I tested 'ask if single', my sim's girlfriend said that she was...

I haven't been using mods for a while, just because they caused glitches in my game before, so I don't think that's what's causing the issue.

I did try loading a new save file, where my sims that haven't been promised to each other have the propose option visible.

Frown

Message 121 of 415 (3,328 Views)

Sim can't get married

★★★ Newbie
"marrying a sim in your employ would be inappropriate" (this happens to everyone my sim tried to marry They aren't even working in the same field.
Message 122 of 415 (3,325 Views)

Re: Teen relationships lost when aged up to young adult

Hero

@nacholajong merged with existing thread

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 123 of 415 (3,308 Views)

Relationship messed up after update

★ Guide

When I started my game after the update I wanted to marry them, but I couldn't find the option. Then I saw that there was an option to ask if single, so I tried and it appears that somehow "Coby discovered that Prince is single" even though the relationship panel says that they are lovers...

Schermopname (38).png

Message 124 of 415 (3,302 Views)

My sims can't affiance

★★★ Newbie

My sims can't affiance. The game doesn't show the Option "propose marriage" althrough the sims have 100% in their friendship and love relationship. They both are young adults and not related. Devil

Please! I really need your help! Devil

Message 125 of 415 (3,265 Views)

Marriage Proposal bug

★★★ Newbie
My sims can't get married as they can't propose. I've checked and there aren't 8 sims in the household,they have the highest friendship and romance and yet they can't get married
Message 126 of 415 (3,253 Views)

Re: Marriage Proposal bug

Hero

Hi @bugjam101

merged your post with existing thread. Please try the suggestions in this thread

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 127 of 415 (3,244 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims cannot propose

★★★ Newbie
I dont even have the stuff pack where you can hire butlers and whatnot and i still cant proposw because it thinks my sims boyfriend is "in her employ". This bug makes no sense.
Message 128 of 415 (3,206 Views)

★★★ Guide

I encountered a similar glitch yesterday and hadn't seen anything like it before.  Last time I successfully navigated a sim proposal was post-butler and pre-toddler.  After a few failed ideas, I did come across an approach that should provide a functional workaround.  I tested it out within my own game with success.

Workaround:

First, make sure your two lovebirds live in the same household (ask your sim's beloved to move in, if they haven't already).  Access cas.fulleditmode with testingcheats enabled.  [A number of sources on the web are available if you need a nuts and bolts tutorial on cheats, e.g., Carl's Sims 4 guide.]  Shift-click on one of your lovebirds and select 'Modify in CAS'.  This opens the full spectrum Create-a-Sim and allows you to manually change the relationship from roommate to husband or wife.  There is a drop-down menu in the top left quadrant (Quad IV, for the mathematically inclined) just to the right of the sliding scale for voice pitch/frequency.  This would also be a good time to add any other story enhancers...a wedding ring or post-bachelor party tattoo.  Once your selections are confirmed and gameplay resumes. Please note that the ability to manually edit relationship status is disabled after your household is created and your game started.  It cannot be reassigned from the versions of CAS accessed during gameplay or manage worlds. You have to use the full edit mode cheat to reassign relationship.

Basically the game treated this CAS bypass/override as an actual marriage in terms of gameplay.  Which is great news if your an aspiring Soulmate.  As far as I can recall, this is the only aspiration with a specific goal tied in with marriage.  And new sims I created post-update are not having this error.  The goals related to getting married were triggered as achieved in the soulmate aspiration.  Both sims get the long +3 Happy just married moodlet.  If you're trying to complete whims related to some of the steps before the actually marriage, I was able to push the proposal action successfully using a non-glitchy sim interacting with a glitchy sim.  He was also willing to 'plan the wedding'.  You might even be able to find a way to use the CAS relationship reset to achieve the main goal at a wedding though I haven't tested it.  It may be the wedding will fail miserably since your glitchy sim will not complete a traditional gameplay marriage command.  Something to keep in mind. A follow up if it does achieve the main wedding goal would be appreciate.  Though not strictly necessary, that's one of my fave social events since ex flames can be counted on to stir up trouble and sims are pretty funny when they get angry in large social gatherings.  Standard smile

Solution above should provide a workaround for meeting marriage goals for the games bridging the update.  New sims I created post toddler update were unaffected.  Some sims that were playable and predate the new era of toddler were unaffected and were able to get married as per usual. Obviously the population I tested was very small, but if the premise holds and this affects only a few random pre-toddler era saved games bridging the update and isn't observed in games initiated post-update, then hopefully the strategy above resolves the matter.  

I would recommend that you don't move your glitchy sim into a new or existing household in an attempt to reset the relationship.  It did NOT resolve the glitch, but it DID decouple my sim from much of her record of achievement (list tracked under the Household Collectibles button in your inventory).  For the technical folks troubleshooting, 

Disclosures:

-I play on a Mac.  I have very few of the Mac-bug thread issues (except for the blank photographs - lol). I run the repair function in origin on a fairly regular basis to monitor for corrupted files. The game historically runs smoothly without enabling laptop mode  MacBook Pro, 2015 Core i7 2.5 GHz, bought new summer 2016; auto-update enabled for my operating system and for origin; I own all Sims 4 content.

-FWIW, I don't have a picture of what the underlying cause might have been. I have used only a very limited amount of CC and only for a short time.  The mods folder was emptied and functionality disabled within the software prior to toddler update but character with glitch was very likely created while the custom content was in place and enabled.  I have no empirical evidence that CC was or was not related, but earlier comments indicate issue is observed for games naive to CC...so circumstantially, it sounds like there may not be a link.  Unfortunately, nothing jumped out as a better explanation.

-if add'l info is needed to support troubleshooting (parameters tested and strategies that didn't work), feel free to reach out.

Message 129 of 415 (3,174 Views)

★★★ Guide

I scanned through the thread again and noticed that the serial romance aspiration came up a few times.  My glitchy sim also had that aspiration at one point - it wasn't her first one and she completed it before moving to to aspirations more aligned with concept of marriage.  

Message 130 of 415 (3,165 Views)