[ARCHIVED] Sims autonomously do mean interactions for no reason

by Masa136

Original Post

Why are my sims constantly being mean to each other?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.88.228.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Cottage Living, Eco Lifestyle, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, Snowy Escape, Get to Work, Vampires, Dream Home Decorator, Laundry Day, Parenthood, and Knifty Knitting
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Do not control the sims interactions with other sims.
What happens when the bug occurs? My sims, no matter how high the friendship or romantic level, they will always argue and be mean to each other, becoming enemies.
What do you expect to see? I expect for my sims to be nice to each other, especially if they are in a romantic relationship or if they have kids.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?: Yes, but I have had no issues whatsoever with the mods interfering with my game in ways other than what they are supposed to do. (SoL, MCCC, Extreme Violence, Basemental Drugs, , Realistic Reactions, Relationship Wellness, etc...)

Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No, it's been going on for a long time and I can't remember when it started. It's just really been bothering me and I couldn't be bothered to look for a solution until it really got to my last straw.

I have been trying to look for solutions and I found some about Have Some Personality Please, so I uninstalled that mod and when I opened my game, everything was fine and they were talking to each other normally and then they just all of a sudden started being mean to again. There was no trigger and it was just completely random, all I had been doing was having my adult sim ask her child about school and discussing their interests. I saw some things about it being MCCC but I couldn't find where you could switch those interactions off. It had been the same for SoL but I couldn't find anything about turning the mean interactions off. I just want to find a solution without deleting one or the other or maybe finding a similar mod to SoL that doesn't have the mean interactions but has the personality types and such.

Message 101 of 110 (14,687 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sims autonomously do mean interactions for no reason

★★ Novice
@theslowesthnery What mod did you use to turn off it off.
Message 102 of 110 (14,545 Views)

Re: Sims being mean for no reason

★★★ Apprentice

Could you try removing that trait with the cheat (put testingcheats true first): traits.remove_trait trait_civicPolicy_skillbased_Aggression and see if that helps

This solved the problem for me - thank you as it was driving me up the wall! Haven't had time to test but wondered if it's related to this bug:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-ECO-Messages-for-NAP-being-passed-with-Option-turn...

This is the first save where I've turned off voting altogether and assumed these messages were just cosmetic as no NAPs actually show as enacted but there was a definite start point to the random autonomous aggression from all Sims in the save and also random flirty behaviours.

Message 103 of 110 (14,456 Views)

Re: Sims being mean for no reason

★★★★★ Expert
I noticed one thing, in the household where I keep experiencing this bug, the Sim who first triggered the mean conversation always possesses (even when he is happily talking) the "Smooth Apology" conversation option.
The Sims in this family are married, at the highest level of friendship and romantic relationship (soul mates) and are at the highest level of Charisma both, but only one of them constantly keeps the "Smooth Apology" option. Is this normal?
It almost seems as if the grudge he felt at one point in his life toward the other sim never completely disappeared, despite the fact that he apologized over and over again, and there were no more negative feelings from that point on.
Message 104 of 110 (14,431 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I've had this on and off, too. My two sims were randomly being mean to one another, even though they were in flirty moods and had high romance relationship levels. I did some digging and found that they both had this:  "buff_Trait_Unflirty_CommittedCrassAct_Hidden" s="133067" . Now I don't know, but it looks like it's meant to be for sims who have the unflirty trait, which neither of the sims have. Maybe it's from being mean to begin with, but I know there's a similar buff for unflirty sims witnessing a crass act. So it feels like a trait they are getting (it lasts for one hour) that they aren't supposed to have. It's listed as a loot item under the kiss, kiss neck, and kiss cheek, for example (didn't check all flirting).

The buff also says this:  InGame\UI\Icons\Buffs\Buffs_Flirty_neg.png. That neg at the end seems to be (upon comparison) connected to all negative flirty mood buffs. So it sounds like it would negatively impact on flirting.

Again, maybe I'm misinterpreting all this, but it all looks pretty suspicious and I'm going to mod that buff right out in my game and see what happens. 

Okay, maybe never mind, sim still does it (insults) without the buff. Still not sure why they had it, though.

Message 105 of 110 (14,406 Views)

Re: Sims autonomously do mean interactions for no reason

★★ Novice

Does this issue still need saves? I'll link it anyway, just in case: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lK5SqQPSa560KyOIaOeunwYg2hYrhm8W/view?usp=sharing

I have a sim who randomly yells at his love interest and only the love interest. It first happened when they were teenagers but I don't remember having any negative sentiments, traits, holidays or NAPs. They then broke up which could explain the lingering negativity towards this particular sim. The sentiment from that is long gone but I've seen that he has "Near Unfriendly" hidden buff.

This bug has gotten to the point of where I can feel my anxiety heightening whenever the two of them are in a room together. In the meantime, I'll try some of the mods mentioned in this thread.

Message 106 of 110 (14,295 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've been having this problem too, you really have to micromanage discussions now especially when sims are feeling playful, they like to do mischievous interactions that never go over smoothly with the sim they're interacting with and the social impact is huge.

Message 107 of 110 (14,267 Views)

Re: Sims autonomously do mean interactions for no reason

★★ Novice

Please don't tell me this bug has everything to do with mischievous sims... the love interest is a goofball, I let him do whatever he pleases and he's managed to get to level 8 of the mischief skill on his own without any of his important relationships being compromised. I've started canceling mischievous interactions toward his husband though, just in case.

As for mods, it looks like the Easy Sentiments mod is working but the sim in question still has the hidden "Near Unfriendly" buff. It's good for me for now.

Message 108 of 110 (14,203 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Hello All,

If anyone of you are still encountering this (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 109 of 110 (46,763 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey all,

If you started seeing this behavior only after the October 11th patch, please use this thread instead as we are tracking these as 2 separate issues.

EACade
Message 110 of 110 (23,279 Views)