[ARCHIVED] Sims Icons staying grey after coming back from work

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[ARCHIVED] Sims Icons staying grey after coming back from work

[ Edited ]
Hero

This issue is fixed in most instances but can still occur if you use incompatible mods.

There's also the occasional them getting stuck at work without mods, which can be solved by leaving work early

If you still have the issue, please make sure you have your mods disabled and try again.

Already bugged Sims might still be an issue.

Please report if you're still seeing this and provide your save game if you do.

Problem

After coming home from work, my menus are still all grayed out as if there were still at work.

Cause

Unclear

Workaround

Solution 1

• You can make them leave work early by clicking on the icon with the two Sims but that will have them have the same bug again the next day

Work

Solution 2

• Make the Sim leave work early.
  • If you at least two Sims in your household, make the other travel somewhere, leaving the bugged Sim behind (if you have just one, add another one to your household temporarily)
  • Once you control the other Sim on a different lot, you'll get a little house icon on the Sim at home.
  • Click on that and choose Care For Self (icon may differ depending on what the Sim does at the moment)

TakeCare
  • This should free the Sim

@departure2010 wrote:

I found that you can activate your child sims' portrait again by traveling somewhere by selecting more when choosing your household and then just travel somewhere. It only temporarily fixes the problem though, the next day your sim goes to school it happens all over again.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 157 (26,096 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Never goes to school, yet always in grey

Hero

Going to lock this thread as it doesn't have the new bug template and has become a bit of a mess.

Just make a new thread if you still have this issue occurring WITHOUT MODS.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 157 of 157 (19,113 Views)

All Replies

Re: [Common] Sims Icons staying grey after coming back from work

★★★★★ Novice

I have found a temporary work around to this problem. Leaving work early will kick the sim out of "work mode". I always make my sim leave work an hour or two before their shift ends. Example: My sims work shift is 10am - 7pm, so I make him leave work at about 5pm

Message 2 of 157 (25,967 Views)

Hero

Does that mean it happens again the next day with this workaround ?

I'll be adding solutions today. Didn't get around to to that yet.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 3 of 157 (25,962 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Have you tried having the sim on another lot when work begins? Does the sim leave the lot and the game return to your home lot with the sim at work?

Message 4 of 157 (25,960 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes It happens again the next day. I have to make my sims leave work early everyday. No I have not tried having my sim on another lot when his work begins.

Message 5 of 157 (25,953 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is so frustrating... they just get stuck at work each day even tough they're at home, this renders the game completely unplayable. Please EA fix this SOON.
Also I noticed it doesn't always happen. I tried  switching households right before my sim got to work/school and then switched back and then my sim would come back normally. Still, this trick only works like 2 out of 5 times I try.

Message 6 of 157 (25,946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Belive me this is not the biggest/worst gamebreaking bug. I have the bill stuck in inventory bug and this bug just completely renders the game unplayable after 1 in game week, all power and water to the house is cut off. I have also noticed that out of 3 sims in my household, one of them does not get the stuck at work bug. So 2 out of 3 of my sims icons stay grey after work.

Message 7 of 157 (25,942 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I too was having this problem, the workaround works for me..

"Work Hard" for whole shift until 10 min for end - Leave early - no problems. (get promoted etc because working hard)

Thought why problem may be happening - how many people with problem are using there own "built" house - rather than a pre-made one?

Could it be that the game is not registering the new house? (have not tested this idea)

Message 8 of 157 (25,932 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Can't be the house as I have tried using a pre-made house, same problem.

Message 9 of 157 (25,923 Views)

Hero

I've updated the first post.

Could everyone try if solution 2 helps them solve it permanently

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 157 (25,916 Views)