by limarate

Original Post

Re: stuck in resume

★★★ Novice

Starts working again as soon as I 'Dismiss Familiar'. Broken

Message 81 of 127 (1,817 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sim no longer resumes writing books

★★★ Newbie

Ok so I apologize up front but this is gonna be a bit of a rambling rant. So! I started having this problem a while ago with my ghost writer, suddenly she just started canceling the writing action, wether it was a new book or a resumed book. She would generally make a little progress before canceling the action though so I could force her through it by continually telling her to resume as soon as she canceled the action but that requires a lot of babysitting and isn't a viable long term solution. I got so frustrated with it I stopped playing that game and moved on. Recently I started a new writer this one is a caster rather than a ghost. Everything was going great, got her writing maxed out no problem tons of books published flew through several aspirations, started freelancing as a writer everything is great. No idea if it's relevant or not but today I started her on the nerd brain aspiration which apparently requires getting writers block even though it says to read three books? That's a separate issue, but anyway I looked it up and it said just give them writer's block that's the real goal. Ok so I sit her down to start writing non-stop, start queuing multiple books at a time so i can fast forward without pausing too much and that's going great for about three books. Start the fourth one and queue up the fifth and suddenly the fifth book cancels the fourth book and now both books are broken and it's exactly the same issue I had with the ghost writer. I can force her through it, but it's slow and aggravating. I found this thread and read through it, tried scrapping the book she was working on, took out all my mods, with familiar, without familiar, making sure nothing is queued before she starts a book, nothing. All genres are affected, writing a love email works fine, didn't try the book of life but being a book that can be paused and resumed I assume it would have the same issue. Tried her confident, happy, need decay disabled and enabled. Nothing seems to work. I'm on a Mac with several expansions and I'm not sure how to check the version number but I think it's whatever was most recent before yesterday (oct. 3rd).

Message 82 of 127 (1,794 Views)

★ Novice

I noticed something when I got the error versus when it works: the errored version icon turns into a book like for manually writing at a table versus the computer icon when it doesn't glitch out. 

The glitch is happening for me at skill 7 but early it was working.  Now it is 100% failure to resume.

It might be some remnant coding from when the Sims did their writing manually which honestly I really liked because not every personality wants to do it at a screen.

Message 83 of 127 (1,684 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I want to thank you as well @Drkmage02 ! Standard smile 

I had the same problem that I could neither resume nor scrap the unfinished book, but yur solution of unsummoning the familiar worked for me as well. 

Message 84 of 127 (1,661 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Kurdoras Have they ever been able to write without a computer?
Message 85 of 127 (1,642 Views)

★★★ Novice

You're very welcome but all I did was tell more people about it after @irukanjivenom said what they did to fix theirs. So the credit goes to them. <3

Message 86 of 127 (1,587 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I am having the same issue.

Will not resume with a familiar active, work around is to dismiss the familiar and can resume writing. hope this gets fixed as several things suggests summoned familiars help skill progression *maybe quality unsure

On a side note, can start a new book with a active familiar.

Message 87 of 127 (1,441 Views)

Re: [TO ADD] Sim no longer resumes writing books

★★★ Newbie

I just updated my game and it started happening. 

Message 88 of 127 (1,362 Views)

★ Guide

I'm on a PS4 and I have this same issue every now and then. I really try to have the Sim finish any book in one sitting because it seems like a total crapshoot whether they will be able to resume it or not. Got one right now she won't resume, but happily began a new one.

Message 89 of 127 (1,341 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

I cannot get my Sim to write at all. She won't resume writing, she won't scrap the book, she won't start writing a new book. I can't fulfill her career aspirations due to this and it is getting frustrating! Whenever I click on it, it goes into her task list and then disappears and she replaces it with something else.

Message 90 of 127 (1,317 Views)