AMD Ryzen 5 1600

8GB DDR4 2666MHz

GTX 1070

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

And still having the issue... Teeth bared

Message 41 of 54 (2,816 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Shadow Movement Bug

★★★ Apprentice

One and a half years since the patch that seems to have caused this issue and it still hasn't been fixed. Running on an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 and setting my lighting to anything above medium continues to cause shadow stuttering. I also know of someone using a GTX 1060 with the same issue. 

Frustrating that after so long I'm still stuck running the game on reduced graphics just to get the shadows to function correctly. Angry

Message 42 of 54 (2,795 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict are you able to provide any kind of update regarding this shadow issue? Do you know whether or not the dev team are aware of it?

A year and a half is a long time to wait for a fix for such an obvious bug and I'm wondering why it seems to have been ignored.

Message 43 of 54 (2,765 Views)

Hero

Unfortunately, I don't have info what they fix when. They should be aware of all the bugs on my list and maybe this is either hard to replicate (which would be weird) or hard to fix. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 44 of 54 (2,759 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Our QA team has reproduced this issue, and we are definitely still tracking it. Thanks everyone for the reports Standard smile

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 45 of 54 (2,748 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I finally found a solution! Basically you have to go to (C: ) - programs (x86) - electronic arts or origin games (depending on if you have a physical copy or a digital one) - the sims 4 - game - bin and then open GraphicRules.sgr (with a text editor like Notepad), go to edit -> search and type ''prop $ConfigGroup NumberCascadeLevels 3'' but make sure above it there's ''setting $VeryHigh'', then you just change the 3 to 1, save it and then the shadows should move more smoothly. Here's 2 videos showing that (you can see that the shadows are high quality, unlike how they would be if it was in medium settings), also it seems like they're still not fluid, but that's because while recording the videos my game was lagging a bit. Standard smile 
https://youtu.be/e7B2id_pXiU
https://youtu.be/V3Udg6lPmJc

Message 46 of 54 (2,691 Views)

★★ Guide

While asdfmovie2552's steps do remove the stuttering from the shadows, it also reduces the distance at which shadows are drawn. I should be able to see shadows across the entire neighbourhood with lighting set to max but with this alteration I can't. They can only just be seen to the edge of the Lot or across the road depending on where the camera is positioned.

Message 47 of 54 (2,671 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I also just came across that video with that  temporary fix. But yeah, it has other unwanted effects. But, this shows that it's not a super difficult thing to fix. 

I hope Maxis gets on this soon, because, as a person who is extremely sensitive to flashling/blinking, I've been unable to play the game. 

Message 48 of 54 (2,581 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@SimGuruNick I'm glad to hear that you're aware of the issue. Do you have any idea as to if/when it might be fixed? As you can see above, some players have attempted to fix it on their own and made some progress, so hopefully it isn't impossible to fix it completely. It's really quite an annoyance to still be stuck playing on medium lighting after this long.

Message 49 of 54 (2,544 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Another issue is why does the shadows got to be jumpy on high settings but on medium they are smooth?

Message 50 of 54 (2,443 Views)