[ARCHIVED] Problems with Lighting in TS4

by BryonyRae

Original Post

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Problems with Lighting in TS4

★ Apprentice

With the 64bit mode, and in Ultra settings :

Apparently, it's not an issue everybody have, but when you place a light on an open floor above another one (either the void floor is regarded as a room or not, I tested both), the light is cut in the transition of the two floors, and doesn't light the room below.

Message 31 of 260 (1,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Yes, as @simsontherope and I discussed on the forums, I am not able to duplicate the issue.  In my game (also 64 bit and maxed settings), the light is flowing down from one level to another just fine (you can see our discussion and images here).  It would be helpful if others who are experiencing the issue could post their specs.

And just to note, my graphics card is a NVidia GTX 980 Ti.

Message 32 of 260 (1,121 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Regarding the triangular shadows glitch reported in the index, it crops up fairly frequently in builds I've seen, but if the team wants one in particular to examine, the build I've been double-checking after patches is Windenburg Manor by anja_gersti.  You'll see the shadows in the 3rd floor bedroom.

Message 33 of 260 (1,107 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I have now been able to duplicate the lighting issue described by @simsontherope and will add it to the index.  Interior lighting in open stories does not flow down to lower levels if a roof fully covers the area, even though a ceiling/flooring is in place between the roof and structure.  A partial roof or no roof will not cause the problem, only a complete roof or roofs covering the area.

Message 34 of 260 (1,091 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Another lighting issue to report: light shines in a line through bottom of a half wall placed above (and joining to) wall below and shows a weird cutoff between them that you wouldn't normally expect to see:

halfwallandlighting.jpg

Message 35 of 260 (1,088 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Added another issue to the index:  certain lights cause large, blocky shadows on exterior walls at night:

lamppostlightingbad.jpg

At first, I thought the shadow from this particular light might be caused in part by the planters, but rotating the light had no effect:

lamppostlightingbad2.jpg

Lights with the glitch include Georgina Outdoor Lampost with Double Hanging Planter, Dual Lit Ole Fashioned Lamppost with Planter, Great Attractors Street Lamps, and A Modern Illumination.

Message 36 of 260 (1,078 Views)

[TO MERGE] Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi there, I've come across a problem that has been bugging me since the game's release. When a room becomes closed in, the room gets the indoor lighting, and this lighting changes the colour of all of my furnishings. I designed my house to make use of the white frames from my windows and they looked really nice against the grey walls of my house, but when I finally closed in the walls, the whites become a dark murky grey instead of the stark white they naturally are. I know the game supposedly has 'real life lighting' but i've never seen lighting turn a white into a dark grey like this before in real life. Is there any work around? I personally prefer the lighting for my house when you leave the room unclosed, but I hate that it is unfinished. (I've been scouring the forums for an answer and haven't found any) Thanks in advance Standard smile

Message 37 of 260 (1,083 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I have this same problem too.

The greatest glitch is when I put some lights in a second open floor and it can't can"t below.

Message 38 of 260 (1,030 Views)

Re: [TO MERGE] Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Tayrowntree sorry for the late response.  I have also observed this issue but particularly with stairs and not so much with other objects.  While some window frames are also subject to graying, the amount of lighting you place near them seems to have a mitigating effect on it, at least in my game.  Those same lights do nothing to alter the graying effect on the stairs though.  Here are images from my game, and I will add this glitch to the index.

Exterior light on room containing white objects:

02-02-16_11-24-38 AM.png

Same room with interior light:

02-02-16_11-24-42 AM.png

Switched some windows to add the one you used in your pic - exterior lighting:

02-02-16_11-25-39 AM.png

With interior lighting - the window grays a bit, but not as much as in your image.  Probably because the ceiling lights I used brighten it more:

02-02-16_11-25-43 AM.png

As you can see, if anything, the other furniture (tables and counter) are too brightly lit, but they certainly haven't lost their whiteness anyway.

Actually, I have more to add to this report, as I think this thread is another flavor of it.  So, additional objects known to go darker would be The Living Vase (from GT), Country Flowers (from GT), Decorative Corbel (base game), and Scrollwork Corbel.

Exterior lighting:

01-29-16_12-08-22 PM.png

Interior lighting:

01-29-16_12-08-29 PM.png

Message 39 of 260 (1,070 Views)

Re: [TO MERGE] Indoor lighting changes whites into dark greys!

★ Guide

I was about to create a thread but I see you have me covered, Bryony. I just realized that exterior lights are no longer "on" unless it's night time, how frustrating...

I had several setups with colourful lights that just appear white now during the day. :-/

Message 40 of 260 (1,058 Views)