Game Lagging/Time Freeze

by cvarnadoe

Original Post

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Game Freeze/ Extended Loading Times/ Save Game Bloating

★★ Novice

Hi all,

Same issue with me. Freezing and crashing during game play. My save files have blown out to 190mb since the update, even after starting a new game from the first menu. 

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: MAC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number?  Not sure, using origin 
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and dogs, City living, Discover university, Eco lifestyle, Get famous, Island Living, Seasons, Snowy escape, Dine out, Outdoor retreat, Parenthood, Spa day, Star Wars journey to Batuu, Vampires, Bowling night stuff, Cool kitchen stuff, Fitness stuff, Laundry day, Moschino stuff, Perfect patio stuff, Tiny living, Toddler stuff. 
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game in live mode and within minutes it will freeze, loading game or lot or neighbourhood is very slow. 
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims are not responsive and cease activity, the clock stops but the weather and scenery continue to move. I am unable to get a response to my mouse click. 
What do you expect to see? A working game.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?Yes, November 10 after 6hours or so of play. 
Please describe the patch or change you made. 

Message 61 of 719 (1,641 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Game Freeze/ Extended Loading Times/ Save Game Bloating

★★ Novice

My game is also doing this. Save file is 113 189 KB in size. Happened to me after my sim left to guest speak at university and the toddlers were sent to day care but didn't return when he did. Traveled to New lot to bring them back and then home again. 

Now it will run for a few minutes and lag around 7 pm and then become non responsive. The game will not close and will lock my computer up for along time. Noticed it was using 95 percent of my ram.

Luckily I had saved not long before so going to try and older save me see if that works

Message 62 of 719 (1,630 Views)

Re: Game time stops

★★★ Novice

I tried to create a new family to test if it will happen again and it happened, I really don't what else to do, I belived that would have another atualization to fix the bugs by now, but nothing seems to been done and I stil can't play.

Message 63 of 719 (1,612 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Game time stops/ Game Freeze/ Extended Loading Times

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Having had an opportunity to start a new game for the first time since I posted my initial comment in here (page 4), I can confirm I no longer seem to experience the bloated save file size / freezing and RAM issues in the new game, only in my initial saved one (but it happens within 3 mins of loading up the other one EVERY time though without fail regardless of actions in-game, provided the clock is not paused).

However the new game isn't error free and has been subject to a few random aspects which weren't a problem in the previous one.  Random crash to desktop, with little warning, the audio crackle issue (for around 5 seconds immediately prior to the crash to desktop), and there was no Father Winter to interact with during the winter season at any point throughout the day.

I know there are separate threads for these issues, so I'm not posting them for further discussion here.  Just posting this mainly as a 'A new game seems unaffected by the long load/freeze/RAM issue" perspective I'd reported with my pre-existing save earlier, for what it's worth.

Message 64 of 719 (1,583 Views)

'Time stop'/Sims AI stopping

★★★★ Novice

I can't quite find anyone talking about this exact issue, so I thought I'd make a new post on it, especially now that the fix patch has come and not fixed it. Ever since the Snowy Escape/Nov 10 patch, I've run into an issue that makes it impossible to play the game. After a while of playing, the in-game clock will stop. When this happens, sims are frozen in place, although they still idly animate in whatever pose they were in prior. I am unable to switch my active sim, nor give commands. Pausing the game doesn't freeze the in-game world like it should and instead shows the sims continuing their idle animations, as well as any in-world animations that are currently happening (stereos vibrating, birds flying, etc). Trying to save the game, manage households, or do anything that would take me off of the lot from here just gives me an endless loading screen (or save indicator).

I have:

• Set my old Sims 4 folder in My Documents/Electronic Arts as a backup and allowed the game to create a new one.
  • Imported my old save after doing so. (The issue still persisted.)
  • Saved my household and lot and imported them into a new save. (The issue still persisted.)
  • Repaired both before and after the Nov 17 patch. (Neither fixed the issue.)

Switching households seems to temporarily delay the stop, but it still happens sooner or later. I have used CC in the past, but have removed it as of the Nov 10 patch.

• Expansions: All
  • Game Packs: Realm of Magic, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out
  • Stuff Packs: Knitting Stuff
  • Extra: Holiday Celebration Pack

I've included both my save files and my dxdiag. Thanks in advance and let me know if anything else is needed!

Message 65 of 719 (1,499 Views)

Re: 'Time stop'/Sims AI stopping

★★★★★ Newbie

This is the exact same thing that has happened to me. I have only Cats and Dogs, Seasons, University, City Living, and have never had mods. I have also done everything you have, and none of it worked as well 

Message 66 of 719 (1,484 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@PrendergastPrime I merged your post with the main thread on this.

Thanks for providing info.

Please make sure to use EA approved sites for uploads when providing infos for them: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

Question: If you save your game, does it get a whole lot bigger than it was before ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 67 of 719 (1,477 Views)

Game Lagging/Time Freeze

★★★★ Novice

Following the update on Nov. 11, 2020, my game began having a freezing issue in which my family would freeze mid-actions, the clock would stop moving, but then the family would begin doing other actions.  When I would attempt to do an action, the pie would take a long time to load, leading to my laptop working in what felt like overdrive to load the next part.  I got assistance from @Bluebellflora in regards to this and realized I had some unknown CC/mods.  After deleting those saved files and creating an all new game, this seemed to have fixed the problem....until today.  My new game (with no mods/cc or cheats) is now doing the same thing post 11/17/2020 update.  My clock is freezing, my Sim was at work and the super speed was not working.  The game is freezing and causing my laptop fan again to run more than normal.  I did the repair on the game hoping this would fix it, but it has not.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Message 68 of 719 (1,446 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@PrendergastPrime I have the exact same issue, the only difference is it appeared after repairing my game shortly after installing November 17 update. I am playing on a Mac.
Message 69 of 719 (1,454 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Is anyone else still experiencing crashing and save bloating even after the 17/11 update that 'fixed' it???

The clock is still instantly stopping for me, and then when I try and save it crashes still.

Message 70 of 719 (1,436 Views)