[ARCHIVED] Disappearing Sims aka Culling

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [WORK IN PROGRESS] Disappearing Sims aka Culling

★★★ Newbie

I think it's also probably worthwhile to note that Origin says my game is up to date, I did a "repair" but I didn't sit and watch so I don't know if that found anything. Also, all my sims and NPCs are still in the game. I also should say I'm about 20 days into 3rd generation, and I made a mistake, the 3rd sim who seemed to lose no relationships was not created by me, he was born into the game by my first ever sim.

Message 191 of 209 (1,973 Views)

Hero

I'm confused as you posted in both threads.

Is this about the other issue too ?

This thread is for Sims culling (aka the actual Sims are deleted from the game) while the other is for relationship culling aka the Sims forget other Sims on rotational game play.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 192 of 209 (1,971 Views)

Disappearing sims!

★★★ Newbie
This is getting on my last nerve! Anytime I meet someone new they disappear out of the relationship panel!!! How do I fix this!? Help!!!
Message 193 of 209 (1,827 Views)

★★ Novice

I know I'm coming in late to the party - I only got the game this year and admittedly don't play it all that much.  But while on vacation this past week I decided to have a bit of fun with one group.  So I made this one guy ( Greg Helarias ) and decided to let him sow some wild oats.  
He had 12 children from 7 females.  ( Most had single children.  One had two boys an older and younger.  The one woman he finally married had three children. An older son and boy/girl twins.  And just before he married another woman had triplets - two boys and a girl ) 
And that leads me into my problem and my disappearing sims.  
I've been going back and forth through the different houses.  Mostly the grown up children of Greg's ( getting them married/ moved out / preggers ) Since then Greg has passed away ( no emotion from any of his family though and no urn/grave but in the family tree it says he died from old age.  I can live with this - pardon the pun. )  
I've been playing one of the older children for a couple days now and I decided to look at her family tree and I noticed something.  There should have been five children ( her half brothers / sisters ) in the line but I only saw three. 
Two of the triplets have disappeared.  Just... gone.  
I've been saving at increments cause I was playing with my laptop unplugged and of course didn't want to lose anything (HA!!).  

The triplet's mother was a random townie sim.  And now the mother is also deceased (old age) but her (now) only child still shows up on the tree and is still a child.  
I can't pull them up because the sim I'm playing now (the daughter of Greg / the half sister of the triplets ) and I can't reset anyone because I don't remember the children's names - I didn't name them.  

All I know is that I've been playing off and on for about a week - maybe a little over - and I often let my sim game stay on but on pause when I'm not around / am asleep.  
As far as I can tell nothing like this has happened before.  

1. When did the Sims disappear ?   Absolutely no idea.  Last time I know for sure I saw all 12 spawns of Greg was about wednesday night - I was joking about it with a friend.  
  2. Are the Sims homeless or living somewhere ?  Homeless / Townie 
  3. Are they played or unplayed ? Unplayed / again townie
  4. What age group did they have?  - Two children ( triplets but their brother remained ).

Message 194 of 209 (1,797 Views)

Hero

If they were homeless, that's exactly what it's about. You need to house them if you want to keep them.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 195 of 209 (1,789 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok... but... 

1. I've been playing this same collection for more than a week and it hadn't happened before last night/ today as far as I can tell.  
2. How do I house someone who isn't actually there?  ( ie: I wouldn't have wanted to move the mother of the triplets in with the father because that's not the way I was going) 
and 
3. NO ONE else has disappeared - nearly everyone else I've used was a townie/ random sim. And everyone else still exists/ is around.  The mother's/ the children.  No one else has vanished.  Out of the 12 kids he's sired there's now 10.  ( and now on grandchild but I digress )

and

4. Why was it just two of the kids and not all three? again these were triplets - two vanished but their brother remained.  

Message 196 of 209 (1,785 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero
  1. It only starts after you hit the culling limit
  2. You would need to do that before they disappear to keep them save. Once they're gone, you can only get them back through a backup where they are still around
  3. + 4 sound odd though. All townies should be cleaned out. Maybe it is a different issue you're seeing but by the sound of your family tree issues, it sounds like culling. There are certain factors that make them save but in the same family sounds odd.

Also did you check the household manager ? How does the family look there ? Not there at all or does the single child still exist ? Sometimes the family tree has it's own issues.

Do you still have before and after saves ? 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 197 of 209 (1,771 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok the culling thing is weird but I understand it ( did they ever do that in any of the previous versions? ).
I'm still actually learning the whole game so I had no idea the unplayed characters were in their own little list... interesting to see it now.  
But as I was looking at it ( I think this answers the family tree thing ) but this family doesn't seem to exist *at all*... my next thought was they were from another town.  Only thing that makes a small bit of sense but then if they were from a different town then there shouldn't be any reason for the culling?  

I was looking at my list and out of all of them I think only two women were 'homeless' , the mother of the triplets and then another mother of one child (a son).  He's still there and is now either a teen or a ya ( I forget which ) but he shows up on the unplayed/unhomed list, he shows up, obviously, on the family tree, he can be invited to other things.  Which *is* something I noticed that before I didn't see a way to invite the mother of the triplets anywhere - maybe that shows something?  But now I'm able to invite the only "surviving" triplet to parties and over to the houses.  It really is weird.  I would go completely with the culling thing but it is just so weird that it took away two from triplets and not all of them, I'm glad it didn't bit it's really weird.  

And I really don't know.  Maybe within the file on the computer?  I've been saving off and on because I was on my laptop and I didn't want to lose anything (HA) when it shut down when the battery was run down. 

Thanks for the answers.  Appreciated. 

Message 198 of 209 (1,762 Views)

Hero

It's quite easy to see if your game is hit by culling or not. 

Try the following

1. Go to any park. That usually generates a lot of homeless SIms
  2. Go to the household manager and see if you actually have new Sims there
  3. Play for 24 Sims hours
  4. Go back to the household manager and see if those Sims are still there.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 199 of 209 (1,758 Views)

★★★ Newbie
When I creating male sims? They dispatch from family tree and disappearing at no where. How I can fix it?
Message 200 of 209 (1,658 Views)