by Nakashimafied

Original Post

[ARCHIVED] Computer pie menu lags/freezes/crashes

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.134.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Discover University, Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Eco Lifestyle, Dine Out, Strangeville, Outdoor Retreat, Parenthood, Tiny Living, Moschino, Toddlers, Fitness, and Kids Room.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By trying to use the computer.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I try to get my sims to use the computer, I click and then it takes a very long time - up to a minute - before the computer menu appears. During that time the game is frozen; if the sims in the household are in the midst of an action, they will keep on doing it, but I can't queue up anything else or change control to another sim; I can however enter build/buy mode as well as go to manage world, exist game etc. But live mode is mostly frozen. Appears to be the same across households.
What do you expect to see? The computer menu to appear immediately as I click on the computer.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I downloaded the two recent patches on June 3rd and 4th respectively.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title, Added Base Game Version Number

Message 1 of 61 (5,218 Views)

Re: Computer menu doesn't appear

[ Edited ]
Hero

EDIT:

There seem currently two issues with this but they are probably related

Lags/Delay in the menu to pop-up: This thread

Complete freeze when clicking on the computer: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Time-Freezes-When-Any-Computer-on-any-Lot-is-Hover...

Please use the appropriate thread for your issue

Spoiler

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 61 (5,185 Views)

★ Guide

I have the same problem. I've tried the steps in crinrict's post but the issue persists. On a fresh factory reset game, the first thing I did is try to open the computer menu. Its nowhere near as slow as on my 4 year old save file - but it's definitely slower than any other object's menu.

Message 3 of 61 (5,144 Views)

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 61 (5,140 Views)

★ Guide

DxDiag attached. My pc should definitely not be struggling to pull up a simple menu in this game :P 

Message 5 of 61 (5,134 Views)

Hero
@Nakashimafied Your graphics drivers are a bit dated. Could try updating them ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 61 (5,119 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@crinrictUpdated (didnt realize it'd been a year, yikes lol) and restarted pc, still in the factory reset version of my game. The issue persists.

Edited to add:
I'd been playing just fine a couple days back, the issue started happening sometime after the eco living patch. Im unsure if it was there before the pack was released. I downloaded the patch yesterday but did not actually play. 

Message 7 of 61 (5,101 Views)

Hero
@Nakashimafied at a point where I might start asking duplicate questions ... have you tried multiple computers ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 61 (5,076 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict In game? Yes, I have tried 4 different types of computer. IRL? No, I only own 1 computer.
Message 9 of 61 (5,067 Views)

Hero
@Nakashimafied Meant in game :D

I will tag and forward this tomorrow

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 61 (5,060 Views)