Original Post

Accepted Solution

[ARCHIVED] [CD] Unable to adopt pets/pet carrier stays on lot

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Adopt a pet
What happens when the bug occurs? Used hire service/adopt a pet via mobile phone [and computer, just to be sure], guy shows up with pet, after any amount of interactions, when my sim selects "Adopt (200)" I'm prompted to confirm that I want to adopt the pet, the animation occurs, there's a notification that the pet has been added to my family, but it is not added to the family, the option to adopt is still there when the pet is selected and when the pet adoption evaluation time is up, the guy takes the pet with him (or the pet simply disappears).
What do you expect to see? Pet should be added to the family, an icon added next to my household sims (which is what happens when adding a pet via CAS).
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

EDIT (crin): 

INFORMATION NEEDED

So I've tested this on several of my saves and didn't run into any issues so a few questions for those of you with issues

1. Did you start a new save or is it a pre-patch save ?
  2. Are you living in a house or apartment ?
  3. What interaction did you do before fully adopting the kitten ?
  4. Did you switch game mode while the adoption was running (for example go to build mode) ?
  5. Have you ever used mods/cc with that save game ?
  6. Are there any tight spaces involved on your lot ?
  7. Do you have the issue that the carrier didn't go away or also that the pet wasn't added to your household ?
  8. How many times did you try ? Did you get the issue each time ?
  9. If you have any lastException files from around the time when it happened, please attach them
  10. Anything else that comes to mind ?
Message 1 of 87 (12,921 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] [CD] Unable to adopt pets/pet carrier stays on lot

[ Edited ]
Hero

Locking your door will no longer prevent adoption.
  • Baby-gram!
    • Um, no. *click*
  • NO! A locked door?! Oh man… I… I guess I’ll have to take this one home too. The wife is not going to be happy about this.

This is only a partial fix. There's new threads for all issues that are still present. Please check last post of this thread/Compiled list for details and links

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 69 of 87 (12,149 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: Unable to adopt pets

Hero

Were you billed the first time ? You can click on it once the pet is in your house and adopt it with the option.

The message seems off and I'm not entirely sure how it works but when I tried it, I had to actually adopt the cat again so it was added (I'm unsure if I was billed twice or not)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 87 (12,801 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Billed the first time yes, but when I try to adopt the pet again, it's still not added to the family. I even tried to get other sims in the household to adopt but the pet is still whisked away with the adoption guy when he leaves.

Message 3 of 87 (12,798 Views)

Hero

At what point did you remove your mods ? Before or after trying this the first time ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 87 (12,792 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tried to adopt a pet with mods/cc the first time, removed all the mods/cc and tried with a different save/family and still could not adopt a pet.

Message 5 of 87 (12,773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am also having this issue. I even used the cheat to add to family, which did not add it to my family initially, exited to manage worlds, confirmed it appeared in the family's information, then resumed play, confirmed it was then it my household, then when the adoption person left they still took the dog. I confirmed that I was billed the $200 every time I clicked the adopt option. I used to use MCCC but I removed it from my game before I installed Cats and Dogs.

edit: I also play on Mac, OS Sierra, v10.12.6

Message 6 of 87 (12,769 Views)

Hero

I'll do some further testing

This might be related to this issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-TEST-Multiple-problems-with-cat-breeding/td-p/6408693/jump-...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 87 (12,761 Views)

★★★ Novice
While I was trying to adopt a kitten, this happened to me. The adoption guy came and just kept leaving me animal carriers.
Message 8 of 87 (12,750 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Unable to adopt pets

★★★★ Novice

I have also had this issue. The first time I tried I had MCCC enabled. I repaired the game and tried again and the same thing happened. The third time I repaired the game again as well as disabling MCCC and the same thing happened. I have no other mods or CC. Also I tried multiple times to adopt the pet each time and was billed every time but it never worked. I probably tried about 5 times before giving up.

Message 9 of 87 (12,710 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Unable to adopt pets

★★★ Novice

I am also experiencing exactly the same issue. I have no custom content or mods installed and never have. 

Message 10 of 87 (12,698 Views)