Original Post

Accepted Solution

[ARCHIVE] Whims visually disappear after coming home from work

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.42.9.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Base game only
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim go to work then wait until they come home
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim comes home with their whims missing
What do you expect to see? Whims
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Not sure if this was caused by an update within the last few months or not, but I don't remember seeing it when I last played which was several months ago. Some of my sims seem to randomly come home from work and their whims are no longer there. I haven't noticed any sort of pattern, or anything causing it so I have no idea what causes it. It has happened in all 4 of the households I've played, and to multiple different sims in those households, so it isn't anything specific to just one household or one character.

I've found several workarounds including disabling whims in the options then applying the change, then enabling them again and applying the change again. Going into build mode seems to bring them back as well. If I have multiple sims in the household, then switching to a different sim then switching back will fix it. Things that involve leaving the current lot or things that involve reloading the lot (traveling to another lot, saving and reloading the game, manage worlds, etc) seems to fix it.

I doubt this will ever be fixed, but it can at least be added to the long list of things that aren't working properly or are just flat out broken in this game. It just seems like this game relies on workarounds, which is really lame, but if anyone else has this problem then hopefully those workarounds I listed can help someone.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted title

Message 1 of 12 (2,528 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Whims disappear after coming home from work

Hero
Archiving this thread per Patch 1.90.358 as Whims are being replaced by Wants & Fears.

Please create a new thread if you see similar for Wants&Fears

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 12 of 12 (2,024 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@valohim666 Are they visually missing ? From what you're describing it sounds like they are still there but not visible. Is it always all whims ?

There's this issue but I don't think that's a visual thing: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Traveling-resets-other-Sims-whims/td-p/9108619

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (2,493 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I am noticing this as well. I believe it is mainly a visual bug, in that the whims don't show on the UI, but I do believe I have still managed to complete a whim while they were invisible. As the OP said, they will eventually come back through regular gameplay, but it is a little inconvenient to have them invisible for a while, as many people (such as myself) use the whims to guide their gameplay.

Message 3 of 12 (2,484 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@crinrict I have no idea if it's just visual or not, but yes it is always all whims that disappear. The two more basic whims disappear, along with the one specifically for the current mood. If I can find the urge to play again, I'll test to see if the whims are actually still there but just visually missing. I'm just so burned out because of all the problems I've been seeing that I'm not sure I want to keep playing.

I'm not sure I've noticed that other problem you linked, then again when I play multiple sim households I have a habit of picking one character and sticking with them for long periods of time so that's not something I would typically notice. I do very rarely get something related to travel where I could lock a whim and then travel, and then that whim for some reason can't be fulfilled. I also noticed one with the woodworking table where my sims could roll the whim to buy one, and even if I buy it it won't fulfill and the whim will keep coming up. Basically, there are too many problems with whims.

@Figblat  I'm also someone that uses whims for how I play, which for me goes back to Sims 2 because I always like to try doing what my sims want instead of just forcing them into random things. So yeah even if it is just a visual thing, having to force the whims to reappear gets pretty irritating.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that after doing some brief testing, the whims are technically still there though just visually hidden (even while at work). I locked two whims before my sim went to work, one to become inspired and another for practicing speech at a mirror for 1 hour. Even though the whims were visually gone during work, my sim became inspired while at work so that whim was fulfilled before they even came home. Then when they got home the whims were still visually missing, but after practicing speech in the mirror the whim was fulfilled. Even though the whim was to practice for an hour, it was fulfilled right away which also visually brought back the whims.

Message 4 of 12 (2,459 Views)

Hero
@Figblat What platform are you playing on ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 12 (2,444 Views)

★★ Guide

I have seen it before, but not lately. In any case it's a graphic glitch, the whims are still active. If you go in game options, de-activate the whims, close the menu, open it again and activate the whims again they are back there again, and it is the same whims you had before.

Message 6 of 12 (2,424 Views)

Hero
@babuchas01 Are you on console or PC/Mac ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 12 (2,421 Views)

★★ Guide

I am on pc. 

Message 8 of 12 (2,416 Views)

Hero
@babuchas01 Thanks. I've personally turned off whims a long while ago so it's good to know it happens on all platforms

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 12 (2,408 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict I play on PC.

Message 10 of 12 (2,332 Views)