APEX Legends Engine Error -Error reading pak file

★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD PULSE RX 5600 XT
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Sharkmaster666
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. Llamanighthun
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Wattson
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Loba
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. I CANT PLAY ONCE AGAIN
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. The crash ALWAYS happens when I load into the lobby
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) When I entered the lobby
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? ON MY NEW PC, when i start the game and load into the lobby, some crash happens after a few seconds in the lobby. My old pc had Nvidia, and my new has AMD.
What should be happening instead? NOT CRASH
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? TRY TO PLAY THIS ON A NEW PC

The error message that pops up is the following:

Engine error

"Error reading pak file

"C:\Users\Admin\SAVEDG~1/Respawn/Apex/assets/11/promo/dl_promo_2021_01_21.rpak"--Error: Short read."

Message 1 of 11 (3,628 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: APEX Legends Engine Error -Error reading pak file

Community Manager

Hi there,

If you follow the file path in that error message you should be able to track down that specific .rpak file. Once you do find it try changing the name of that file, then repair the game in Origin. If you're playing through Steam try verifying the integrity of the game files after renaming the file. 

Try launching Apex Legends again afterward, and let me know if you're still running into the same error message. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 11 (3,541 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yes Me too. Now, How to fix this?

Message 2 of 11 (3,591 Views)

Community Manager

Hi there,

If you follow the file path in that error message you should be able to track down that specific .rpak file. Once you do find it try changing the name of that file, then repair the game in Origin. If you're playing through Steam try verifying the integrity of the game files after renaming the file. 

Try launching Apex Legends again afterward, and let me know if you're still running into the same error message. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 3 of 11 (3,542 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Hi there I have had a near identical issue with the game where I am able to reach the home screen and have the option to continue, but every time I do so I am met with the error message:

Error reading pak file

C:\Users\andre\SAVEDG~1/Respawn/Apex/assets/11/promo/dl_promo_2021_02_02a.rpak

I have reinstalled the game after Steam verified the integrity of the game and found over 1400 erroneous files. After a 3 hour redownload I have the exact same issue and to make matters worse I have scoured through the game files and I am unable to find and edit/delete the erroneous pak file whatsoever!

Please help as this is a brand new Lenovo Legion 5i with an Nvidia RTX 2060 and no other games downloaded so I truly do not understand the issue!

Message 4 of 11 (3,451 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had this same problem on the Xbox Series X. How do i fix it?

Message 5 of 11 (3,382 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Jamie3PV

That's definitely strange. What happens if you try setting up your PC in a Clean Boot before you launch the game? If there's anything else running that could be causing the issue that may help to get around it. You can find more details on how to set one up over at the EA Help website. Please let me know how that goes once you've had the chance to give it a shot. 

@DrugB0i 

What's the exact error message you've been seeing? Would you mind sharing a screenshot? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 11 (3,356 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It helped me. Simply delete the file that caused the error. In my case, it was the dl_promo_2021_03_04.rpak file. Just delete this and it's done. Then you can play again I sat 3 weeks to fix this error and have tinkered myself until it finally worked out. I hope I could help you :D

Message 7 of 11 (3,253 Views)

Community Manager

@ThorJuerYT 

Thanks for letting us know! Thumbs up

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 11 (3,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Jamie3PVHey! If you're still unable to locate the file, what I did was search within 'This PC.' And I was able to locate it through there!

Edit: Thanks for the XP, and what I meant by search if it wasn't exactly clear, was in the attachment below. If you just search the pak file exactly correct there, you should be able to find it.

Message 9 of 11 (2,625 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have had a near identical issue with the game where I am able to reach the home screen and have the option to continue, but every time I do so I am met with the error message:

Error reading pak file 

C:\Users\User\SAVEDG~1/Respawn/Apex/assets/11/promo/dl_promo_2021_05_18.rpak

I have reinstalled the game after Steam verified the integrity of the game, i did clean boot as well and it doesn't work

Message 10 of 11 (2,407 Views)