Re: AI inconsistent in Squad Battles/HUT

by davehoehn970

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hopefully @MarlieCash uploads some videos.

I have a new screenshot to share today, and before anyone just responds "dude, you're just not good at the game", OK, fine, if that's true, then tell me why there's such a discrepancy between Pro and All Star, when there's also a Superstar level above these.  For those that play on this level, what's the secret?  Because it's not "the AI teams play better hockey".  EA has not built a true AI... they increase difficulty by bloating stats in the CPU's favor, and the amount of bloat is ridiculous.  As stated previously in the thread, a mid-70s OVR team with no synergy should not at all be able to keep up with a 90 OVR, NHL-player stacked team on All Star.  You want to give that much boost on the top level, it makes sense there.

From left-to-right in the screenshot:

Game 1: 76 OVR team with no synergies.  On All Star, a 3-2 loss, with the 3rd goal against coming in the final minute of regulation.  All three goals were garbage, but I get it, this is a video game, not the NHL.  Stupid sh*t is going to happen in the name of "difficulty".  This team had two NHL players, and maybe 2-3 more NHL 4th liners that are usually healthy scratches.  One of the NHL players was Marc-Andre Fleury, so it's fine, he'll make some ridiculous saves.  The guy is tanking his team's overall rating with his backup though, because MAF is no 72 OVR (tanking your rating like this is a rampant action in this community).  Replay on Pro, 8-0 shutout, they had 3 shots for the entire game.  MAF got pulled in the first period after giving up 5 goals, and somehow the backup stoned me until midway through the 3rd.  How does this make sense?  How is there this big of a gap between Pro and All Star?

Game 2: 81 OVR team with no synergies.  On All Star, a 2-1 OT loss.  This team at least had 3 lines' worth of NHL players, and some D-men, but nobody's ever heard of the goalie.  Replay on pro, can only muster a 3-0 win, so the point gain suffers badly.  No-name goalie continues to play out of his mind, their shots were somewhere in the teens for the game.  Again, why such a gap in the two levels, but also why are we penalized so badly for not reaching "5 goals" in this scoring system?  This was a dominating shutout, but I miss out on ~130 points.  Any team would want to play this good of a game... the reward should be commensurate.

Game 3: 77 OVR team with no synergies.  I honestly don't even remember where their two goals came from, aside from just chalking them up to "it's All Star... they're going to be given some goals".  As we can see this time, however, the replay was not needed, because I managed to score normally.  The major difference between this 77 team and the previous 76 team?  No Marc-Andre Fleury.  So we're saying, then, that just a goalie is that big a difference-maker on All Star?  If so, ok, but I ask again, what's Superstar level even for?  And then I would further ask, why doesn't my Patrick Roy also get this kind of boost?  Yeah, I already know the answer to that one... it's how they make the game more "difficult".

Game 4: a 91 OVR with 4 synergies, IIRC.  I don't bother trying these on All Star, at this point... I already know it'll make me want to destroy my controller.  Only real comment here is again about the "5 goal" scoring.  the 3-0 game was a far better game for my team, but this game scored better, because I got to 5.  That's just nonsense... we should be rewarded for good defense.  Defense wins championships.

Anyway, as I said before, I sit on the line between Elite 3 and Elite 2 in Squad Battles, and the reward gain just isn't worth the effort.  I can accept if "this is how we built the game", rather than there actually being something wrong, but it would be nice to have an explanation on why this level gap is just so big.  What are we supposed to expect?  And for those players that have this "solved", care to share the tricks with the rest of us?  This scoring system and this level gap are big reasons why I put most of my effort into Franchise Mode... there, I can customize the sliders better so that games on All Star "make sense" and "look like real hockey", and there's no downside for having good, close games, or *gasp* losing.  Hell, you're supposed to lose.  I know... losing isn't what this mode (or any of HUT) is about.  Again, I would just like information on why this mode is the way it is (if there is, in fact, nothing wrong), and for "better players" to maybe help us figure out why they're successful where we're not.

Message 11 of 26 (478 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

I play all my games on Superstar and win the high majority of them. I don't chase the carrier, I cut off passing/shooting lanes and I manage my player's fatigue by covering the puck and making manual line changes. I also work the puck around in many cases before entering their zone. This frequently sets up good scoring chances since I'm not forcing my way through traffic.

Aljo.png
Message 12 of 26 (460 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

How do you make up for the boosted speed granted to the CPU players?  I feel like I play pretty good defense (considering games like the as-noted 3 shots allowed, above), but occasionally get caught with a player out of position, or "chasing" (and can't stand the AI teammate implementation of "covering for an out-of-position" player).  This is why my games on All Star are low-scoring, generally.  I don't have the dexterity to pull off great offense, but on All Star, what kills me is how the CPU can chase down anybody and blocks all my passing lanes, no matter how low-level their players are.  This is why I win games on Pro routinely somewhere between 8-0 and 11-0, with the occasional goal given up.

The goals I give up are usually of the following variety:

• One-timer from a lost faceoff in the defensive zone
  • Inhuman deking skills
  • Horrible AI teammate slot/crease coverage
  • Check a guy off the puck and watch as the goalie stands there doing nothing while the puck slowly glides through his legs from 50 feet away

Goals against that come in other ways, I have nothing to complain about.  They make a good play in the corner, pass to an open guy, and score?  Great, good hockey play, congrats.

Maybe that's just the issue... my expectation is that All Star looks like good hockey, and Superstar is full-on arcade mode. I just think the stats granted to non-NHL players on All Star are too much.  My expectation is that random ECHL guys can't keep up with top NHL talent for 60 mins game in and game out.  Evenly-matched teams should have close games on All Star... a 77 shouldn't be able to hang with a 90.

And, of course, we should be better rewarded for playing good games, not just "did you score 5 times, or not".

Message 13 of 26 (454 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

The idea is that if you're winning by 5 goals, you're outplaying your opponent. As far as the issues you're concerned with, we'll need to see video. CPU players aren't granted boosted speed. They play according to their ratings.

Aljo.png
Message 14 of 26 (452 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

Maybe not direct to the numbers on their cards, but they're absolutely given something.  The only levers EA has to pull are inflating CPU numbers/sliders/ratings/whatever, and/or deflating the same objects for players.  This isn't a research project I'm going to take on, but it's an awful hard sell to convince me that silver cards have numbers that match Crosby, Overchkin, Tarasenko, et. al., let alone those guys' special upgraded cards.

Yeah, I get it, video would be nice, which is why I hope the other guy uploads some.  All the visual I need is those final scores.  The gap in "difficulty" should not be 11-0 blowout wins down to 3-2 losses.  The players in those games didn't change.  The play style in those games did not change.  The CPU players go from "don't belong on the ice" to "greatest players that ever played", with speed, puckhandling, and playmaking to match.

Message 15 of 26 (442 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

The ratings aren't as important as how you play. Just because your cards are rated higher than your opponent, this doesn't guarantee you'll win. If you're giving your opponent good chances, they'll take advantage of them. We don't raise the ratings of AI teams just to keep them more competitive. They are playing according to their ratings. They are better at moving the puck than many humans due to most people playing very aggressively and giving them more open lanes.

Hopefully, video will be provided. I've been asking for this for years, but no one has been able to show where there is some form of AI cheating going on.

Aljo.png
Message 16 of 26 (439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

What is it, then, that makes them play to their ratings, on higher levels, or worse than their ratings on lower levels, if not ratings adjustments?  They don't make different plays, but they make them faster/more accurately/whatever.  The CPU is not "smarter" on higher levels and "dumber" on lower.  I skate circles around them on Pro, and get run down on All Star.

You don't need video to see this, the results speak to what's happening.  What's it going to prove that I can beat a guy on a breakaway on Pro and not on All Star?  What's it going to prove that I can make passes on Pro that I can't on All Star?  The difference is speed (they're in the lanes on All Star, they can't get there on Pro).  What's it going to prove that passes go through my well-positioned defender on All Star and don't on Pro?

You can say you don't raise the ratings... where's your proof?  Show us.  We have the proof the game is different... it's in the results.  You don't need full video.  Maybe you're personally blinded by the fact that you play on Superstar... turn it down and see the difference yourself.  You'll play the same way, the CPU will play the same way, and your games will be non-competitive which a much bigger scoring gap.

And to the other point, scoring 5, or winning by 5, doesn't prove you played a good game any better than shutting someone out does.  If you win 2-0, or 12-0, you played well... the other guy played significantly worse in one case.  So, the scoring system is built more on how much the other guy sucks than how good you actually are.  And when the boosted AI is granted some garbage goals because that's a thing that happens on higher "difficulty", my score suffers.  If I win 3-0, I played a much better game than if I won 8-5, and that's not reflected in the points system.

Message 17 of 26 (436 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

You'll need to provide video showing the issue. We really can't do anything without it since there are no known issues with lower rated players playing beyond their ratings. The computer players are excellent at making quick passes, but they don't gain any bonus.

I've been playing games today on semi-pro just to get shutouts for the 94 choice player. It's been incredibly easy whereas on Superstar I was struggling to get shutouts. If you're having a hard time on All-Star, I'd recommend trying a different difficulty.

Aljo.png
Message 18 of 26 (430 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

Aljo, the point is why. You're proving my statement that it's so much easier. Why.  Why is the gap that big from level to level.  If all they're doing is "playing up to their ratings"...

The CPU players simply are not "excellent" on Pro, and you know this.  Your comment about Semi-Pro proves this.

The "issue" is the difference in the level of CPU play between levels.  You don't need video for this, and you see it yourself.

If they don't "play beyond their ratings", then silver 77s cannot consistently outplay gold 90s, even on Superstar, and there wouldn't be differences in levels.

But that's ok... you just continue to ignore evidence, tell us how we're wrong, and how you're so good at this, man.  K?  Cool.

Message 19 of 26 (424 Views)

Community Manager

@davehoehn970 

No evidence has been provided so there's no proof of what you're saying actually existing. If you are struggling on All-Star when others don't have any problems with it, that doesn't indicate the game is forcing the AI players to play beyond their abilities.

Aljo.png
Message 20 of 26 (422 Views)