Re: AI inconsistent in Squad Battles/HUT

by davehoehn970

Original Post

AI inconsistent in Squad Battles/HUT

★★ Novice

Product: NHL 21
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The AI settings between 77overall squads with 0 synergies & 84+ with active synergies is not there, or very inconsistent or backwards. The cpu passing % is never under 90%.
What happens when the bug occurs? I can play against silver & gold base cards with no active synergies, they play me tougher than the 84+ teams with active team and player synergies. I don’t understand this concept at all.
What do you expect to see? Managing the correct AI setting for these cards will help a lot - base cards can’t be this strong or silver cards when my team is 88 overall with active synergies and getting outplayed by a 79overall team is the most frustrating thing in this game.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here HUT SQUAD BATTLES
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) It’s random
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? TheKingofClubz
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Can the AI setting be toned down toward speed, passing %, poke checks. I understand I want a competition in Superstar difficulty, but when the 79,78,77 overalls are basically playing better or the same as 90-84 overall players/squads is just inconsistent at its best. This makes the game frustrating & stressful. The momentum or shift is absolutely crazy - tone all these settings so that the game is playing at the cards level and nothing more. I have 60mins clips of gameplay on my PS4 after losing to 79 team then beating a 91 the next game on the same difficulty?

I can’t explain it - can you EASports? 

Message 1 of 26 (2,063 Views)

Community Manager

Hi there, @MarlieCash.

Can you post those clips where you're getting beat by lower-rated teams? They'll be reviewed for any issues. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 26 (2,038 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@MarlieCash 

I was considering posting a topic about this, but I'm glad you did. I feel the experience is completely random, and agree that my 90 OVR Squad Battles team should not be challenged at all on All Star by these 77 OVR teams with no synergies, and about 2 actual NHL players. The amount of boost makes me wonder why Superstar even exists. But then, some days, I'm lucky enough to get two of these team in my list, and I'll struggle to beat one 3-2, then blow the other out 11-0 like it's on Pro.

If there was any benefit at all to winning an evenly-contested game, I wouldn't care much, but this scoring system is all about "the 5 goals scored". If I shut a team out 2-0 on All Star, I still get more points if I just blow them out on Pro, instead, so what's the point to ramping up the difficulty? And when complete garbage teams get so boosted on All Star, what's Superstar even for?

Message 3 of 26 (2,028 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

To further the point, here's a screenshot from tonight's games. These were boring AF. There's very little difference in points based on level and results. The two games with no replay available, I played on a level up, and lost each 3-2, so had to replay and kill them on a level lower. The 12-0 game was I believe a 91 OVR team with synergies, the 4-0 game, like an 81 at best, without synergies. The 14-2 game, I didn't bother playing a level up. I sit on the line between Elite 3 and Elite 2, but 1000 coins and a black pack just aren't worth the frustration of trying to beat these teams on a higher level. I can just coast through every game on Pro, instead, and not have the frustration and stress level for what isn't even close to a worthwhile reward.

Message 4 of 26 (2,018 Views)

★★ Novice

First game of the day (sat March 6) 77 overall team with goal lamp synergie - I have game footage of 9m of attack time lol with all base cards - I’m playing the other games to I can play those higher overalls no problem- but these base cards are cheese. Needs to be fixed - where can I send bigger files too? YouTube? Twitter? Please replay like you have in my first post with a quick fashionable response time. Thank you 

Message 5 of 26 (1,984 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I don't have additional media to share, but FWIW, since this topic was raised, I've counted 6 opponents in the 76-79 OVR range with no synergies, and every one have them has played like Team Canada.  I'm having zero issues with teams other than these.

Message 6 of 26 (1,977 Views)

★★ Novice

So I lost one game and had to replay it but I can see the active synergies I don’t mind a tougher game- I replay it and still win but the passing % is almost always above 90% for AI. It’s crazy how u can’t hit them and the avoid the body check like nothing, but AI can bump and poke the puke with ease. If you play the game yourselves on superstar difficulty you’ll quickly see what I’m talking about - how do we fix this moving forward??

Message 7 of 26 (1,965 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@MarlieCash 

Can you get some video of what's happening? Stats don't really show us how the game was played. Video can be uploaded to YouTube or published using the built-in game DVR functionality of your console.

I play on Superstar myself. I never check the stats at the end of games. Other than seeing if I had 20 shots or not. I'll take a look at the passing next time. Regardless, the AI are very good at passing so you need to try to cut off their options. They are always looking for open lanes for shots and passes. If you aren't controlling the player closest to the puck and instead are letting the AI play defense, you probably won't see them getting so many interceptions. Playing manual defense will normally cause more turnovers. Unless you're constantly chasing the carrier and giving them the space to pass.

I haven't had a problem with hits though when I have them lined up right and there's enough force behind the hit. I'd need to see some video to understand what you're experiencing better.

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 26 (1,948 Views)

★★ Novice

Sounds good I have been saving gameplay- I’ll upload them and let you know the link to them - thanks for the response 

Message 9 of 26 (1,915 Views)

Community Manager

@MarlieCash 

Great. Thank you very much. Just get back to me when you can and I'll check out your videos.

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 26 (1,911 Views)